Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mueller's Shave Bar

benos

I learned of this product in the straight razor thread, and have been using it/loving it ever since.

Since I just reordered some (and had an excellent customer service experience), I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Be a man - Dump the can!

be

Send me a piece to try our. I started with a brush and mug 3 years ago. Wife bought me an awesome badger hair brush. 1 cake of soap lasts over a year for me because I hate shaving so I don't do it every day.

I haven't bought a can of shave cream in years. I started shaving with bar soap while in the USFS working in the Marble Mountain Wilderness area because packing a can of shave cream was just stupid. I've used several brands over the years, including the standard "tone" and "dove" moisture bars which actually work pretty well. Never even seen this stuff, though. Have to give it a try.

I started using a brush and bar when I was in the Army. When I was about 30, I got some soap from a girlfriend that came with a mug and was semi transparent and had a nice "woodsy" smell to it (according to the girl who gave it to me). I really can't recall the name but it was certainly better than anything that came in a can.

I haven't shaved since I was 17. I'd probably cut my throat if I tried. Seems like some kind of primitive ritual to me.

Hmm full beard and you call us primitive? Lol I wish I could not shave but it bugs the heck out of me.

It arrived today. Now that is customer service !

Cool, been looking for something that would not get snatched from my carry on when traveling.

That was my thought exactly.

Tried their product and liked it. Doesn't make a lot of lather but it works really well.

I busted it out right away and tried it as I skipped the ritual this morning. It is going to take a little getting use to as it is quite different from the can but so far I like it just fine.

The best technique I've found for applying it is different from what is suggested on the package. Instead of rubbing the bar on my face, I rub the bar between both hands until I get a nice layer of foam. Then with both hands I rub it vigorously into my face, then I end with just lightly patting it where I just rubbed it. Doing it like that leaves as much of the foam on your face as is possible. Also, before you start shaving, it seems to need to stand a bit longer than regular shaving cream - about 30 seconds to a minute.

be

The best is dumping the crappy, expensive razor too and going Double Edge. Takes a little longer, but the shave is excellent and basically zero trash. I have a blade bin that I've been filling for a long long time and its never going to fill.

Ordered yesterday. Already got a personalized email thanking me. I only shave about twice a week, so when I do it's like bushwhacking. Looking forward to trying this. Traveling with it makes so much sense to me, no more can to pop.