Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Proximity of Matches

sperman

Asked another way, what can the SC or AD do to stop them from running their match?

Not sign the approval...

They can just apply for an independent club code and continue anyway.

Reading up on the by-laws, there are a few hoops to jump though for a club to do that. By my read, they need a legit reason and approval from the Area Director. (I have a question that I will PM you Gary.)

12.6 Independent ClubsA club may form as an Independent Club due to geographical location or for specific business related reasons. Clubs belonging to a Section may petition the Section Coordinator and Area Director to become an Independent club or to join a different Section due to geographical or specific business related reasons. The Area Director, following consultation with the Executive Director, may grant permission after determining that all financial obligations to the Section have been met. All activity credits earned prior to the approval shall remain the property of the club.

The Area Director's decision may be appealed to the Board of Directors by the petitioning club or by any club within the Section. The Board shall review the appeal and make a final determination at its next Regular Meeting.

The way I read that, clubs which are part of a section may petition the SC and AD to leave.....

Nothing there says that a club has to join a section in the first place, to become affiliated....

Nothing there prevents a section from expelling a club from section membership -- though section bylaws might have something to say about that....

Asked another way, what can the SC or AD do to stop them from running their match?

Not sign the approval...

They can just apply for an independent club code and continue anyway.

Reading up on the by-laws, there are a few hoops to jump though for a club to do that. By my read, they need a legit reason and approval from the Area Director. (I have a question that I will PM you Gary.)

12.6 Independent ClubsA club may form as an Independent Club due to geographical location or for specific business related reasons. Clubs belonging to a Section may petition the Section Coordinator and Area Director to become an Independent club or to join a different Section due to geographical or specific business related reasons. The Area Director, following consultation with the Executive Director, may grant permission after determining that all financial obligations to the Section have been met. All activity credits earned prior to the approval shall remain the property of the club.

The Area Director's decision may be appealed to the Board of Directors by the petitioning club or by any club within the Section. The Board shall review the appeal and make a final determination at its next Regular Meeting.

Lets say hypothetically that a club had a scheduling conflict, like what is being talked about. The SC tries to work it out but can't. The Section expells the club. The club gets an independent club code from USPSA and continues operation as before. No approval needed from the SC or AD.

By USPSA, you mean the office? I'm trying to read where they get that authority (without the sign off of the AD)...

I club cannot come into existence without the Section Coordinator's sign off. (on the application sheet)

Once a club comes into existance legally, they can go "rogue" if they wish. They do not have to play nice with other clubs within a section. If they wish they can just about do whatever they wish. The section might punish them by expelling them, but then that leads to other issues that do not solve the original problem.

By USPSA, you mean the office? I'm trying to read where they get that authority (without the sign off of the AD)...

I club cannot come into existence without the Section Coordinator's sign off. (on the application sheet)

Yes, it can -- as an independent club.....

And, as a section, under our bylaws for instance, it would be theoretically possible to expel a member club -- which would then become defacto independent, all without AD approval....

There's nothing in 4.8 (Club Membership) to require that a club join a section -- though in practice that is often the way in.....

Now -- AD authority is outlined in 12.6, I think, to ensure that there is "right to appeal" and right to equitable treatment, should a section and a club decide to come to a parting of the ways.....

I've only been on the MASC executive committee since 2003, and in that time I can't even remember an expulsion situation being mentioned. I wouldn't sweat that....

Once a club comes into existance legally, they can go "rogue" if they wish. They do not have to play nice with other clubs within a section. If they wish they can just about do whatever they wish. The section might punish them by expelling them, but then that leads to other issues that do not solve the original problem.

And that's where the leadership of the SC and the Section Executive Committee (in the Mid-Atlantic Section that's made up of the section match directors) needs to come into play -- to discuss the situation, and hopefully find a solution that works for the good of all the clubs involved and USPSA....

In many ways, having many matches is a good problem to have....