Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Armscor .38 Super RL brass....

lneel

I have a source that is engaging Armscor at Shot as an alternative to the often limited Starline .38 Supercomp brass and he is trying to guage interest. While I love Starlines quality I am always in fear having only a single source for this type brass. I mostly shoot the Armscor .38 Super RL brass in practice and it seems to work just fine. I don't know exactly how many times I have/can reload it but I know it has been 5 or more times without issue.

Please let me know if interested and a guess on quantity you might want.

Pricing info is not yet available.....just trying to see if there is any interest beyond me and my son.

I will pass the info onto the potential vendor.

Lee

Edited by lneel

I have a source that is engaging Armscor at Shot as an alternative to the often limited Starline .38 Supercomp brass and he is trying to guage interest. While I love Starlines quality I am always in fear having only a single source for this type brass. I mostly shoot the Armscor .38 Super RL brass in practice and it seems to work just fine. I don't know exactly how many times I have/can reload it but I know it has been 5 or more times without issue.

Please let me know if interested and a guess on quantity you might want.

Pricing info is not yet available.....just trying to see if there is any interest beyond me and my son.

I will pass the info onto the potential vendor.

Lee

I'm in, if the price is a whole lot better than Starline. 3-5K

I voted No - but my "No" is really a "Not if it's Armscor". I was given a sample of some 30 or so cases to take a look at a while ago, and they were fairly variable in dimensions, including cases where the inside of the case was off-center with respect to the outside of the case (in the worst of the set, the case wall at the mouth was 8 thousandths on one side, and 22 thousandths on the other side). Last time I checked, the price difference wasn't that severe, and I'm getting far more reloads out of Supercomp than guys were reporting out of Armscor a while back, so...

If it's improved dramatically, I'd be interested in know that, though ;)

If someone has a source of brass that's equal in quality, I'd check it out... And, I haven't had any trouble getting Supercomp brass in reasonable timeframes direct from Starline, FWIW...

I voted No - but my "No" is really a "Not if it's Armscor". I was given a sample of some 30 or so cases to take a look at a while ago, and they were fairly variable in dimensions, including cases where the inside of the case was off-center with respect to the outside of the case (in the worst of the set, the case wall at the mouth was 8 thousandths on one side, and 22 thousandths on the other side). Last time I checked, the price difference wasn't that severe, and I'm getting far more reloads out of Supercomp than guys were reporting out of Armscor a while back, so...

If it's improved dramatically, I'd be interested in know that, though ;)

If someone has a source of brass that's equal in quality, I'd check it out... And, I haven't had any trouble getting Supercomp brass in reasonable timeframes direct from Starline, FWIW...

A buddy of mine who used to place in the top ten at nats as a youngster used to say the same thing about Armscor brass. He did not care for the quality at all and said the same things about varying dimensions etc.

I made the mistake of buying 2k of Armscorp in .38RL. It was the worst crap I've ever TRIED. Since then, whenever I'm sorting brass, if I see an "AP" headstamp, it goes in the scrap bucket! :surprise:

I made the mistake of buying 2k of Armscorp in .38RL. It was the worst crap I've ever TRIED. Since then, whenever I'm sorting brass, if I see an "AP" headstamp, it goes in the scrap bucket! :surprise:

Ha, hell send me that bucket....you'll notice I said practice rounds. Though I have not had any issues with it ever and I am sure it is not as good as Starline. I ONLY use new Starline at major matches.

While I am practicing though, it's all fair game.

I was informed my source did place an order for 50k piece.....20k are already spoken for and I expect more will follow. My goal was mostly to not be stuck with only having one source. I saw some brass in Greece that I would like to know where it came from.....it's headstamp was IPSC 38SC.

Lee

Also, just what I am talking about....from the Starline website today.

38 Super Comp Brass (Small Pistol or Small Rifle primer) .893"-. (Backordered expected availability: 02/25/2012 )

Again, I love Starline, "we" just need another source....

Lee

I didn't have the best luck with them also. After every loading, including the first, a few would have splits right in the middle of the case (not at the case mouth). Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things but I didn't like having to inspect every case before shooting them.

Never had any reliability issues, though.

I'd shoot them again only if they were 60-70% of what starline costs. Thats about when it would become worth the trouble.

Yeah, I heard about the quality, or lack of, regarding ARMSCOR brass but that was a while ago. Willing to take a chance on it.

I haven't shot any in about 4 years so they could have made changes since then.

I saw some brass in Greece that I would like to know where it came from.....it's headstamp was IPSC 38SC.

Lee

Lee,

If the brass was headstamped with IPSC 38SC, it was probably match ammo supplied by Geco Ammunition. They were the official Match Ammo suppliers for the World Shoot.

Cheers ....

I saw some brass in Greece that I would like to know where it came from.....it's headstamp was IPSC 38SC.

Lee

Lee,

If the brass was headstamped with IPSC 38SC, it was probably match ammo supplied by Geco Ammunition. They were the official Match Ammo suppliers for the World Shoot.

Cheers ....

Nope....I bought 750 rounds of the Official Match Ammo and it was headstamped Geco .38 Super.....the IPSC 38SC was from somewhere else.

38 Super Comp Brass (Small Pistol or Small Rifle primer) .893"-. (Backordered expected availability: 02/25/2012 )

As has been stated several times here on the forum, that turns out to be a very padded estimate. I've ordered three times, now, while the expected availability date was 6 weeks out, and all three times, I had the brass on my front door step within two weeks of placing my order.

I have had a similar experience most of the time. There was a period about a year and a half ago where it really was 1+ months for me to get some though. It sure would have been nice to have an alternative source. Personally this is not an issue for me, heck I have enough new brass loaded rounds and reloaded rounds to last me and Nic for all of 2012. Still doesn't negate the better position we would all be in just in case Starline had an issue where they couldn't produce for an extended period of time. Just think about what happened to Schuemann barrels.....they had a major electrical issue and were out for quite some time. I as well as you work in IT and we know no matter how well protected, sometimes shit happens.

Lee

Ha, hell send me that bucket....you'll notice I said practice rounds. Though I have not had any issues with it ever and I am sure it is not as good as Starline. I ONLY use new Starline at major matches.

While I am practicing though, it's all fair game.

I was informed my source did place an order for 50k piece.....20k are already spoken for and I expect more will follow. My goal was mostly to not be stuck with only having one source. I saw some brass in Greece that I would like to know where it came from.....it's headstamp was IPSC 38SC.

Lee

The stuff I had was stamped AP 38RL. Trust me, you wouldn't have wanted it. AMERC is better than the lot I had! :surprise:

Still doesn't negate the better position we would all be in just in case Starline had an issue where they couldn't produce for an extended period of time.

Believe me - I have a backup position. It's called ".38 Super +P" ;) But, like I said, my mind could be changed if they've improved the quality to similar to Starline's....

I have two Armscor revolvers at my shop. Got them in a long winded trade of a large box of handguns. They are just crap.

I have tried Armscor 9mm, 38 and 224 projectiles. I have always managed to find something way better at not too much more money. Not worth the saving.

The big issue is they seem to get "samples" of a product and the delivered product is somehow not quite the same. Twice bitten over a long period of time. Not a third for me.

Their ammo used to be good. I sold millions of rounds of 9mm, 38Spl and 30Carbine years ago. But lately good god!!

Same goes for Chinese product.

Again, I love Starline, "we" just need another source....

Lee

I ordered 38S/C and 9MM Super(9x23) at the same time. S/C brass shipped right away, 9mmSuper (ship when we have enough orders). Six weeks later the 9Super shows up. No charge for shipping on either shipment and oridginal price honored.

• 11 months later...

If it's improved dramatically, I'd be interested in know that, though wink.gif

+1

With the exception that, at the time I bought 2K. I had to de-burr the case mouths to even get them in to my dies. Some split on the first loading, which was only 170pf.

I don't remember where I bought them from, but, they said they had heard of some bad batches, and gave me a refund.