Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My 686SSR

Vermilion

Its getting ready for some USPSA soon. Just need to replace the front sight with a fiber optic and take delivery of a Bladetech DOH. And practice a crapload with the Safariland COMP IIIs.

IMG_4230.jpg

Edited by Vermilion

Bought them from Hogue like that. Item number is 19016. Supposedly they are making their regular rubber grip without finger grooves but they didn't have any in stock.

Clearance is pretty good. I might shave them down some though just to be sure.

Edited by Vermilion

Bought them from Hogue like that. Item number is 19016. Supposedly they are making their regular rubber grip without finger grooves but they didn't have any in stock.

Thanks for posting that part number, someone posted a picture of these a few months ago, but I wasn't able to find on their website. I sanded the finger grooves off a set I had here but hit nylon before I got them where I wanted them, but they felt good.

I wonder how thick they are front to rear? Did they remove the rubber from between fingers or add rubber to fill in the finger grooves?

Nice rig. FWIW, I use Big Butts on my 625PC for USPSA and my Steel Challenge 627PC. I have a neuropathy in both hands which makes it difficult to get a consistent grip. I cut off the left side spur on both to make a thumb rest. I added a Dr Scholl "heel gripper" to change the angle just a bit and help with recoil on the longer stages. I got the added benefit of clearance for moon clips. They're the best configuration I've found.

I also tried the Hogue and Pinnacle cylinder releases and found they made too much angular friction with my hands even when lubed with Slide Glide. The straight push of a stock S&W release w/ a high polish on the friction surfaces and a dab of Carmoney's 0-20 Mobil 1 oil works FAR better for me.

As always, your results may vary. Welcome to the 'hood. :cheers:

I went to hogue website and found some part #,s for no finger groove mono's

19012 = K&L frame round butt monogrips

19016 = K&L frame round butt monogrip with wood big butt

25012 = N frame round butt monogrips

25016 = N frame round butt monogrip with wood big butt

Edited by Bosshoss

Nice looking 686. Are you going to shoot it minor or major? I've started shooting my IDPA SSR gun, 4" Ruger GP100 in USPSA with major PF. A 200 grain cast lead RN doesn't have to go all that fast and the recoil's not bad. I put in a FO front and am trying to determine if I do better with the red or green pipe (I've only shot one match with each). Speed loaders are great fun, but if you're out to win revolver division you're at a disadvantage against the moon clippers in USPSA (even with those great Comp 111s).

Failure to fire problems are often reduced by installing an extended firing pin, all my competition wheels have one; inexpensive and reliable. Bang bang click bang usually results in a time wasting reload. Federal primers always:

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid2.html

Nice wheel gun , congratulations

Shoot what you got and have fun. Once you get good and want to get real fast then consider a moon clip on a 610 (what I use) or a 625.

Edited by Brian B

Finally! Although it's pretty rude that they're charging an extra $10 for them.

Edited by Revopop

Yea. I ALMOST ordered the finger groove grips from 4wheelguns.com but when I found out Hogue had them in stock I just ordered the no finger groove version.

From what I understand they are not manufactured without fingergrooves in the initial process so they have to grind them off and then smooth the grip. Well worth $10 in my opinion. I am happy that they do all that they do for the shooting sports.

-ld

From what I understand they are not manufactured without fingergrooves in the initial process so they have to grind them off and then smooth the grip. Well worth $10 in my opinion. I am happy that they do all that they do for the shooting sports.

-ld

They have to interrupt the normal manufacturing process and pull out the white plastic piece and then form the rubber. With the white plastic piece removed that space gets filled with the black rubber so that they can later come back and grind off the finger bumps and not break through to that plastic or through the rubber. Sounds like a PITA to me for $10 but I'm glad Pat has them do it, I know that I begged him every time I saw him to make these. :cheers:

-ld

They have to interrupt the normal manufacturing process and pull out the white plastic piece and then form the rubber. With the white plastic piece removed that space gets filled with the black rubber so that they can later come back and grind off the finger bumps and not break through to that plastic or through the rubber. Sounds like a PITA to me for $10 but I'm glad Pat has them do it, I know that I begged him every time I saw him to make these. :cheers:

Ha, even more of a PITA than I thought. Yes $10 is a bargain. Thanks for the clarification.

-ld