Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Super 140mm mag capacity

Garrett

I just picked up a 140mm STI for Para mag tube to replace a factory mag that is starting to crack. I searched for any threads addressing extended pads on 140mm tubes, but didn't come up with much.

When I pulled the guts out of a 170mm mag that I have and assembled it onto the 140mm tube, I could only get 20 rounds of .38 Super into the mag. The parts were Grams 4mm basepad spring & follower. What kind of capacity can I expect if I use a Grams 11mm basepad? How many coils should the spring have? Less than the spring for the 170mm tube, or the same?

Do any other basepads out there go longer on a 140, but still be legal for Open (under 170mm)?

I get 21 in my 140mm STI tubes with a Para extended base pad and STI followers. I had standard STI pads and extra Para extended pads. Thought WTH. They fit and got me +3 with standard STI springs and followers. :P Run great. I would guess that a 170mm spring would need to be trimmed or get a 140mm. TXAG

Garrett,

Keep the 13 coil follower and spring kit, (your 170 mag setup) and use my 11mm base pad. You will be able to get an easy 23 rounds.

It is important to use the 13 coil spring to keep the follower and cartridges from getting stuck on the end of the spacing grooves at the bottom of the tube. Sometimes the ends of the spacing grooves need to be blended out so they are not so abrupt.

STI 140's with Grams Format spring/follower and Dawson +2 pads get 22 rds. BUT......anything over 20 and the rds go below the rib of the STI mag and things can get freaky.

DaG

DaG my base pad kit came with those arredondo inserts, they smooth out the bump. i load to the max with out any poblems. i have three mags set up this way.

• 1 month later...

I bought 4 of the 11mm basepads and am honestly not impressed. They function fine, but they are a bear to get apart plus, I can see the potential for some serious problems with cracking. Mid-Match, the last thing I want to be doing is fighting to get a mag apart.

IMHO I should have gotten the Dawson pads and kept things simple. I have 4 of the 11mm basepads for sale in the classified.

Precision40- Same here. I carried a small screwdriver in my bag when I used the Grams basepad. It made disassembly a little easier. I have since put the Dawson back on and am happy again. I have a 4mm in my bag if anyone is interested??

I can see the potential for some serious problems with cracking. 

You know, at first glance you might think that. But they are actually quite durable. I have a couple of Beven's basepads on my Para .40 mags that I have been using for the past 5-6 years with no problems. They have been dropped on dirt, rocks, concrete, etc. with no ill effects.

I did have one break way back when I was working up .40 loads in my unsupported factory Para barrel. (I know it's ramped, but it is still unsupported at the rear of the chamber. It came from the factory this way). I had a blow-out that blew the bottom off of my mag. Beven replaced the basepad with no problems, even though this was obviously not the fault of the basepad.

They function fine, but they are a bear to get apart

Like .40AET said, just use a small flat screwdriver to help pry the little clip out. No problem. This is something you should already have in your range bag anyway.

If you were not impressed and dissatisfied with the base pads, then why didn't you send them back for a refund?

Well, I just got them Thursday and yesterday was the first time I used them in a match. Do these pads loosen up over time? Or are they always hard to get on and off? The U pin that holds it all together has to be beat with something to get it to go all the way in. Same way with taking it apart, it's extremely hard to get the pin out.

Percision40,

The problem you are having in fitting my base pad to the mag tube is not because of my base pad, it is because the mag tube needs to be trimmed. The mag tubes that are being used as "replacement parts" are sold as is, with a statement of "gunsmith fit may be required" and most of them do need fitting and modification. The measurements of my base pads have not changed size since I started making them 10 years ago. If the U-pin is hard to push in or pull out by hand, then the mag tube needs to be modified. I bet you will not find and other competitors base pads that will fit those mag tubes either, with out modification.

Your discription of how tight the base pads fit is my #1 problem with cracks of my base pads. I still replace them with no charge, with a warning to the customer of the fit problems, (I can tell from the looks of the base pad and U-pin when there is a fit problem).

What I am about to say is in no way a personal attack on you or your mecanical abilities, Percision40, but I have to say this as common sence needs to prevail and take over, for everyone sake. I get very frustrated with this "if it don't fit, get a bigger hammer" mentality. One example I can think of is what would any one do with a new slide for their frame that did not just slide on. Get a bigger hammer and beat it on! I Don't think so, and I hope you get my meaning. Another frustration I run into is customers that don't call or email me when they have problems. I stand behind all of my products, 100% and will help my customers in any way I can, to make problems go away. If customer satisfation is not possible, then a refund is offered, and still is for you, Percision40.

Precision40- My Grams pads dropped right onto the bottom of my magazine, not by accident, but because I had already fitted a Dawson pad to the tube. There are specific width dimensions that outside edges of the bottom of the tube must be trimmed to in order for a basepad to fit on the bottom. Dawson also adds that the corners be radiused in order for the pads to fit. I had to file the edges of 3 of my 6 mags to get the basepads to fit. All of the corners needed some fixin'. You should call Bevan, he is very proffessional and a pleasure to deal with. I just looked, and I must have thrown out the dimensions for the tubes, but I am sure that Bevan would tell you what the mag tubes need to measure in order for his basepads to fit. Mine does go on smooth and easy, it just needs a tool to get it off.

Good luck,

Kirk

I get 20 rds on my STI 140mm tube with a arredondo follower and stock STI base pads.

I get 21 if I fit the grams basepad (4mm) on the 140mm.

Thing about the mags is, I'm happy with 20rds in the 140mm as its difficult to grip if they are longer and causes me to fumble a reload badly enough when the mags are full....

Safe Shooting...

The 11mm pads function great, don't get me wrong, I'm able to load 23 rounds of 38 Super with no problems. I assumed they were as easy to take apart as the Dawson pads. I'm just going to stick with what has worked for me

Bev, you have email.