Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accurate # 7

itotorica

AA# 7 works great in the .38 supers making major and can be used for minor loads in .38 super and 9mm. I've never used in in 9mm but have used a bunch for .38 super major and use it for minor in a pinch, but there are better powders for that IMHO. Be aware that AA#7 has its proponents and critics. The critics don't like it because they consider it to be gritty and and believe it wears out barrels faster. Personally, I haven't seen it but then I pretty much only use it for major and have only gone through a couple dozen jugs of the stuff.

Anyway, look at AA's load data, it shows a load for a 147g TRN that runs from 5.7-6.6gn. Looks like if you can start at around 6.0 and work it up to the 135 pf range you would still be in the published specs for that powder.

I've used quite a few pounds of AA7. Its very consistent in both 9mm minor loads and 357Sig at minor and major PF (though its not recognized as such) and I like the recoil impulse of it. It meters out perfectly, as well. However it is really, really, really chunky dirty, especially at minor PF levels. In the 357Sig 150-160PF range, it would actually cause the weapon to malfunction because of all the crud in the chamber after a few hundred rounds. In 9mm 130-140PF loads, the amount of crud buildup was worse.

The other thing to watch for is that load data is all over the place for AA7. AA data for a 9mm Speer 147 TMJ is 5.4-6.2 @1.13. Speer 13 for the same bullet and same COL shows 6.1-6.8. That's a pretty significant difference. The big data variance is also present for other weights, and other cartridges. Something to consider as you work up a load.

When I ran 147's in my Glock 17L I used 5.0gr to get 130PF. OAL used and your "actual" bullet diameter will cause powder charge needed to get to 135PF to vary quite a bit. Could be as little as 5.2 to 5.4gr to as much as 6.8gr, all depending.

AA7 in 9mm under a heavy bullet was a very good recipe IME. I used a magnum SP primer to get more consistent ignition and it did help to tighten SD over the chrono.