Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Powder measure

School the newb here, but I am looking at getting a used super 1050 to load .223. The gentleman I am purchasing from states it does not have the caliber conversion parts, or the powder measure but everything else.

Is it best to buy the Quick Change for .223, (Caliber Conversion parts, spare tool head, and powder measure together), or the caliber conversion parts and the powder measure alone?

Also is the powder measure for the 1050 different than the rest of the presses like the spare powder measure I have for my 650, or can I plop that on?

Edited by sasquatch981

School the newb here, but I am looking at getting a used super 1050 to load .223. The gentleman I am purchasing from states it does not have the caliber conversion parts, or the powder measure but everything else.

Is it best to buy the Quick Change for .223, (Caliber Conversion parts, spare tool head, and powder measure together), or the caliber conversion parts and the powder measure alone?

Also is the powder measure for the 1050 different than the rest of the presses like the spare powder measure I have for my 650, or can I plop that on?

Give Brian a call, he'll get you setup with all the stuff you need to start loading 233 on the 1050. As long as you have the toolhead for the 1050, sounds like you'll need a caliber conversion for 223, die set, and a powder measure. The powder measure between the 650 and 1050 is the same, however the powder die is different. The only difference on the die is the coating, so they are fully interchangeable. If you have spare powder measure and powder die from your 650, you can use that. However, I HIGHLY recommend that you have dedicated powder measures and dies per toolhead, since then you won't need to re-adjust when switching calibers. You can just leave it setup.

If you don't or don't plan on having a need for another Toolhead, then I'd just get the Caliber Conversion Kit and a Powder Measure, so you don't have to rob a Powder Measure from your 650. Also, in the FYI department, by buying a 1050 Toolhead and Powder Measure together (quick-change) - you save $10.

be

Does it come with ANY caliber set-up or just a bare tool head and no shell plate?

Does it come with a small rifle case-feed plate?

Be sure to download the manual or call Dillon for a hard copy. You may want to buy the DVD and WATCH EXACTLY what the presenter does (even more than what he says).

Are you sure you want to load .223 on the 1050 instead of the 650? My 1050 doesn't seem to be all that more vertically open than my RL 1050s (which can load .223, but it is a tight fit). I see the 1050 as a high volume pistol loader.