Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 brass flying across the room

Just started loading 223 on my 1050

I must be doing something wrong 1-2 of 10 pcs of brass will not go into the shell plate.

Spoke to dillon they told me it's the brass just wondering if anyone else has this happen

I must be doing something wrong 1-2 of 10 pcs of brass will not go into the shell plate.

Spoke to dillon they told me it's the brass just wondering if anyone else has this happen

Dillon makes good stuff. I have had problems with the 223 brass getting caught from the feeder to shellplate. I usually give it a touch and it will go in. Sometimes have to pull back on the plunger and help it in.

I have called for support on this kind of stuff before and most of the time I am not satisfied. Rarely the machines fault as they are inferior.

Example:

Had a Square deal with all the add ons. I had a defective mount bracket for the primer catcher cup. I say defective because it would miss a bunch of spent primers. I was made to feel like I was doing something wrong; installed it incorrectly or someting. I called back a few times and finally got someone to send me a new part.

I know there was something wrong with the old one because the new one worked perect!!!! The difference could clearly be seen in the two parts.

As with your problem. All I can say Is surely you are not the only one its happened too.

Do your due dilligence first.

1) Is your casefeeder adapter the correct one? (white with the pin)

2) Is your casefeeder plunger the correct size? (Small)

3) Is your shellplate on properly? (Hand tight then backed of 1/16th a turn)

4) Are you controlling the handle on the way up?

What is the press actually doing?

Does the case stall before going into the shellplate?

Is it going in at an angle and falling out?

The casefeeders seem to take a while to feed the last few cases from each batch, so unless you're stopping loading for that caliber, try to keep refilling the casefeeder as you go. Also try between the different speeds on the casefeeder to see which one works better with your caliber.

One of the biggest problems with any progressive press is the shell plate getting loose. On my 1050, I have the shell plate tight enough that it does not jump or move quickly. Put a little marine grease on shell plate to slow it down if needed.

I find that 9x19, .380 Auto, and .223 Rem rims seem to get more banged up than any other calibers.