Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SV stainless slide on steel frame

marksr

I have sv stainless open slide can I install it on an sv steel frame. Will I have any problems with it in the future shooting the gun.Some say do not use a stainless gun in comp when it gets hot it starts to jam.

Don't believe anyone who says don't use a stainless gun because it will jam when it gets hot. Right now I'm running an Infinity Open gun that was worked over by Ed Cameron into a shorty. It has a stainless slide and frame. It is accu-railed, so I can't comment on the galling too much.

But, everything I have read says that if you have a stainless slide you should go with a carbon frame to lessen the galling. Stainless on stainless will be fastest to gall. My accu-railed setup shows zero signs of galling and is as tight and smooth as a 2011 can be after approximately 8,500 rounds. I'm talking no perceivable play. Not between the slide and the frame or the stainless Schuemann barrel and the slide. The thing is a vault.

Just last weekend I ran 300 rounds of major power factor 38 supercomp through it in 30 minutes with not a single jam. After those 300 rounds I could touch the comp on the barrel without any unpleasant burning. It was also just as buttery smooth as before I started shooting.

Another thing I should add, I was doing it in about 45 degree weather. if you try that in 100 degree weather your barrel may be a bit hotter than myne was.

Edited by Whoops!

• 3 weeks later...

The last four Infinity pistols I had (or still have) were 100% Stainless steel and I never had any problem with them. The next ones will also be 100% stainless and I doesn't expect anything different than the previous ones.

I've shot one Infinity pistol built with stainless slide and carbon steel frame and It ran like a champ with different ammo. The gun was even tried by Blake Miguez and It shot like an SMG in his hands.

Infinity stainless pistols do not have the galling issues seen with other stainless guns because of their heat treating process and the tolerances they use. I would be a little worried about it with any other manufacturer.

I have handled more than a few different Infinity pistols with steel frames and stainless slides. It can be a good look IMO.

If you go to this link and look under the 5.4" Infinity gallery there was a sweet 5.4" at the Infinity Euro match last year that had a steel frame and a stainless slide. It looked great.

http://www.matsbackstrom.com/Gallery/Infinity/slideshow.html