Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gunning in Cali

TLD

Not sure where to post this, but I'm a beginner to shooting in California so here it goes.

I'll probably be moving to California for work. I've been reading the gun laws and understand the mag capacity and assault weapons bans pretty well I think. (although it's obvious they are not meant to be understandable)

My question is this:

I've been watching a lot of California 3 gun video on line and most people obviously have high capacity magazines for rifles and pistols and many are using so called "assault rifles". The only way I understand it can be possible is they owned the magazines and rifles before the ban and registered them.

Is this the only way? Is there some info I'm missing?

If not, this might put a guy like me who shows up with a 10 round Mini-14 at a slight disadvantage against the guy with standard capacity AR.

Thanks.

Short answer is yes, many people have "assault weapons" and high cap mags from before the ban. Most matches have a CA legal division for those without high caps. If you haven't already, check out www.calguns.net for the best resource on CA gun laws. The laws are very complicated and there is a lot of bad info floating around.

1)Pre ban registered rifles

2)pre ban mags on "feature less" rifles with pre ban mags preban mags you borrow from someone at the match and return at the end of the match

3) shooting ca legal div

4)The 3 gun match in pala is in Indian land, so ca AWB law does not apply..

You can reconfigure your rifle to what would be an illegal ca configuration

And build magazines from repair kits at the range, shoot the match. And before you live the range, reconfigure your rifle to be a ca legal, and tear your magazines back into repair kits.

This is only legal at pala sence ca doj has no jurisdiction on federal land..

And please double check this before you try it!!! I could be way of base.. It wouldn't be the first time.

P.s

While there are some people that might ignore the law I would not recommend it...

As more people publicize their practice of breaking the law on forums like this, the odds of a raid are heavily increased..

You don't want to be charged with posestion of an unregistered assault weapon in ca...

With all that said..

Those guys must be really dumb to post videos on the net if they are breaking the law. :rolleyes:

The guys I shoot with are either cops, old fogeys with registered rifles and old magazines, FFL's with hi-cap licenses, or they shoot CA Legal class with 10 round magazines and bullet buttons.

If you want to shoot hi-caps... since you aren't an old fogey with a registered rifle and old magazines, you can either become a cop (LA is always hiring) or become an FFL with a hi-cap license.