Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The 2012 Mississippi Classic

I explained to Detective Rather, who will be working the weekend of the Classic, that we would appreciate extra overnight patrols at both The Holiday Inn Express and The Comfort Inn due to the large number of out of town visitors and valuables. I will also speak with the Chief this week about extra patrols. I would highly recommend no valuables be left in your vehicles at the hotel.

Thanks for the heads up and for talking to the right people.

BB

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Competitors traveling to the Mississippi Classic, be advised that I spoke with Byram Police Detective Eric Rather on Saturday, 5/12 and learned that one of the match hotels, the Comfort Inn, (the one nearest the range) had five vehicles broken into last weekend. I explained to Detective Rather, who will be working the weekend of the Classic, that we would appreciate extra overnight patrols at both The Holiday Inn Express and The Comfort Inn due to the large number of out of town visitors and valuables. I will also speak with the Chief this week about extra patrols. I would highly recommend no valuables be left in your vehicles at the hotel.

I really dreaded trips to the Jackson area when I was in the Guard for that very reason. If something isn't nailed down, there is a good chance it will walk off.

Edited by retarmyaviator

Competitors traveling to the Mississippi Classic, be advised that I spoke with Byram Police Detective Eric Rather on Saturday, 5/12 and learned that one of the match hotels, the Comfort Inn, (the one nearest the range) had five vehicles broken into last weekend. I explained to Detective Rather, who will be working the weekend of the Classic, that we would appreciate extra overnight patrols at both The Holiday Inn Express and The Comfort Inn due to the large number of out of town visitors and valuables. I will also speak with the Chief this week about extra patrols. I would highly recommend no valuables be left in your vehicles at the hotel.

Awesome. Glad I booked a room there. :angry:

That's a pretty gutsy place to pull off a robbery, truth be told. Just off the Interstate, stuck between two gas stations, a lot of the parking situated in front of the front doors...

A bit cynical to say, but if they went "that big" last weekend, maybe they'll be laying low for the coming one? Not that they're equipped with brains that actually work half that well, but... we can hope. :cheers:

Unfortunately, we do live close to Jackson. Inevitably we get some overflow from our nothern city neighbor. And it is more unfortunate that we all seem to have to deal with things of this nature too much now days.

For the past two years we have hired an off duty deputy to specifically bounce back and forth between the two hotels all night/morning. The Officer that has done this the past two years will be out of town this weekend. I have already spoken to someone with the Sheriff's Department and they are trying to find me someone that will take the detail for us. Was a bit of short notice of the other deputy being out of town, but I feel confident my compadre will locate someone. Two shifts on a Friday & Saturday night from 9pm to 5am are not that easy to fill. :unsure:

With that being said, Errington & The Boys with Byram PD are excellent at what they do. I have full confidence with Scott having already talked to them they will show an extra presence as well. At the off chance we do not get someone to take those dedicated shifts, I know a couple of the Deputies working the weekend as well already. They have already said they would swing by the hotels as well.

UPDATE: Championship mud races are at MS offroad this weekend as well. My understanding is that they have also let local law enforcement know they will have folks in area w/ 4 wheelers, etc. I imagine this will also heighten awareness of all LE in area.

Edited by MrClean

Unfortunately, we do live close to Jackson. Inevitably we get some overflow from our nothern city neighbor. And it is more unfortunate that we all seem to have to deal with things of this nature too much now days.

For the past two years we have hired an off duty deputy to specifically bounce back and forth between the two hotels all night/morning. The Officer that has done this the past two years will be out of town this weekend. I have already spoken to someone with the Sheriff's Department and they are trying to find me someone that will take the detail for us. Was a bit of short notice of the other deputy being out of town, but I feel confident my compadre will locate someone. Two shifts on a Friday & Saturday night from 9pm to 5am are not that easy to fill. :unsure:

With that being said, Errington & The Boys with Byram PD are excellent at what they do. I have full confidence with Scott having already talked to them they will show an extra presence as well. At the off chance we do not get someone to take those dedicated shifts, I know a couple of the Deputies working the weekend as well already. They have already said they would swing by the hotels as well.

UPDATE: Championship mud races are at MS offroad this weekend as well. My understanding is that they have also let local law enforcement know they will have folks in area w/ 4 wheelers, etc. I imagine this will also heighten awareness of all LE in area.

Thanks for the update.

Shootings, violence and robberies occur every day every where.....nothing to get overly excited about..Take the same precautions as you do when you normally travel...I all to well know about being targeted and having your gear stole :angry: all while NOT staying at the match hotel, not having NRA/gun related decals on my car and nothing left within the interior of the car to say I have a bag full of guns in my trunk.....when it is your time it is simply your time...

Edited by DrawandDuck

Shooting, violence and robberies occur every day every where.....nothing to get overly excited about..Take the same precautions as you do when you normally travel...I all to well know about being targeted and having your gear stole :angry: all while NOT staying at the match hotel, not having NRA/gun related decals on my car and nothing left within the interior of the car to say I have a bag full of guns in my trunk.....when it is your time it is simply your time...

+1

And now back to topic..... :cheers: Crawfish & Beer! Happy Thoughts! Excellent Weather! Good Folks! Prizes!

We start our final 'work' tonight.... and continue rest of the week getting ready for everyone. I'm excited about this year's match and can't wait to see everyone!!

Byram has typically been a faily low crime area but as you guys have said it can happen anywhere. As Steve said, the match started hiring out private security (off duty deputies in marked patrol cars) to patrol our hotel parking lots about three years ago and so far we have not had any issues. It's a few hundred bucks but I think it's money well spent and we plan to do that again this year.

As for the rest of it, I saw my crawfish guy today at lunch while I was out running some errands and he's got everything lined up for us. All of the plaques showed up at my house yesterday (thank you Manny Bragg if you're reading this) and all of the score sheets and booklets are at the printers. I'll pick up the shirts on Thursday and I have a cooler full of frosty work night fuel in the back of my truck to kick things off tonight. Did I mention Steve has over $20,000 on the prize table so far and he's still collecting? The only thing I'm not excited about is that once again B Class Limited is by far the biggest class which means once again I'm not getting a trophy. Oh well, I'll just plan on winning other things. :cheers:

First night went well. All the big props, walls, target stands, poppers, etc., are on the bays where the stage is to be set up. Tomorrow we start building stages. Anyone with a couple of hours of free time is more than welcome to come down and lend a hand.

It is going to be one of the best Classics ever, and those of you who did not make it in are missing a great match. I hope to see you next year. Maybe by then we will be able to have more bays and accomodate more shooters.

Good Luck to all the competitors.

Four hours of work tomorrow and then off to the Classic for setup and no work until Monday!!!!!