Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how much handgun ammo did you shoot last year?

ProGunGuy

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you guys find so much time to shoot! I'm probably only in the 5-7k range including rifle and shotgun! I can't imagine shooting 20k + in a year, but I'd sure like to find out what it's like:)

Could also be that some folks just like to throw a ton of lead down range. Used to see a similar thing when I was into golf. There would be the guys at the range that took their time and hit each ball as if money was riding on it. Then there were the guys that hit balls machine gun style, going for volume over substance.

Not inferring that the folks here with high numbers are of the machine gun style of shooting, just that I see that style every time I go to the range.

Edited by jdphotoguy

I didnt have the time to shoot much last year but when I did it was about 7k for sure between 5 caliber's! Maybe more I did shoot in a few IDPA comps and practice a few times last year.. I still havnt found a pet load I like and I did get a new AR so it should be more this year! Have fun and be safe peeps... :cheers:

I'm a beginner and I thought I was shooting a lot but this was a wake up thread. I only started shooting in March of 2011 and I have gone through about 6k 9mm, 500 .38 and maybe 3k .22 and I thought this was a lot. You live and you learn.

How you practice does effect the total round count.

100 shots is a lot if I'm shooting groups or doing one shot draws.

100 rounds is only a handful of reps if I'm doing shooting on the move or multiple transition drills.

And it was no less a luminary than our gracious host who espoused the value of dumping whole mags of ammo into the berm w/o a target...

7000 of centerfire pistol

2500 rimfire

maybe 500 combined between .223 and 12ga

I would think that my 12ga count would be higher since I bought 2 shotguns last year, but I dont think that Ill shoot them much more in 2012 then I did in 2011

All I know is the ammo shelves are looking kinda bare these days and that's just pistol ammo. In the last few months I've added long range rifle and shotgun into my routine. The rifle part is falling by the wayside as I'm not finding enough time to practice. Shotgun on the other hand has me on the range every weekend and whenever I can during the week. I'm having a blast shooting trap,skeet and 5 stand.

As far as ammo my best guess averaged over a year is:

12ga - 200-300 rounds per week

9mm - 200 rounds per week

45ACP - 200 rounds per week

223- 50 rounds per week

7.5x55 - 50 rounds per week

300 win mag - 10 rounds per week

303 British - 10 rounds per week

No wonder I'm broke. Now that I've written it down I think I need to do some trimming. If I drop the 300 Win Mag and the 303 British that cut alone will pay for shotgun ammo and not shooting the AR and K31 will preserve what I have left. Cut the 45ACP usage in half. Decisions. Decisions. Time to reload.