Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR Upper considerations for 3 Gun beginner

Roland

I am currently looking at getting a dedicated upper for 3 gun and was looking for some input as to what specs would best suit me.

I would be for the most part shooting commercial 55gr .223 maybe later on handloading .223 with a heavier bullet.

What twist rate would you recommend an what chamber?

From what I looked at JP uses 1:8 twist with .223 Wylde chamber while Stag Arms uses 1:8 5.56 chamber win their 3G upper and so does DPMS for their 3G setup.I would be willing to look into buying one of these set ups or better yet build the upper myself. Or could I survive as a begginer with a 16" 1:9 .223 upper I already have.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Unless your going to be doing much shooting beyond 350 yards at matches, the 16" 1:9 you already have will work fine. And keep in mind that every match I have ever attended will have 10 or 15 close targets for every one beyond 200. Shoot some matches and look and get a feel for what others have. They are proud to show it to you and most will give you the rifle and a few rounds sending you to the practice range to shoot it. And do not assume that heavier rounds always provide better accuracy at longer ranges. Sight your upper to shoot about an inch and a half high at 100 yards with some 55 gr ammo running about 3100 fps (XM193 does well) and see what you think. You can always buy something new later. Instead of spending the money on a new upper, drop that money on a really good optic which you can switch over to a new upper later if you need to make a change as you progress. Good luck.

Unless your going to be doing much shooting beyond 350 yards at matches, the 16" 1:9 you already have will work fine. And keep in mind that every match I have ever attended will have 10 or 15 close targets for every one beyond 200. Shoot some matches and look and get a feel for what others have. They are proud to show it to you and most will give you the rifle and a few rounds sending you to the practice range to shoot it. And do not assume that heavier rounds always provide better accuracy at longer ranges. Sight your upper to shoot about an inch and a half high at 100 yards with some 55 gr ammo running about 3100 fps (XM193 does well) and see what you think. You can always buy something new later. Instead of spending the money on a new upper, drop that money on a really good optic which you can switch over to a new upper later if you need to make a change as you progress. Good luck.

This is REALLY good advice. It's nice to see someone on this site not just respond with the kneejerk "buy JP/Benny/whatever-gun-du-jour". Bravo :lol:

Agreed with the above. Spend money on optics and ammo. Those two things you can and will always use. A good optic can go on a good upper later after you save up and find out what you like. Iv been running the same 16in upper for the last 8000rds. It's not the best but a good optic, good ammo and practice make it very effective out to 500yds.

And just put a Miculek comp on the upper you have and give it whirl. Can't go wrong. (I think the best comp for the $)

Make sure you clock/orient the Miculek comp. There is a Youtube video explaining the process. Put one on my son's 16" M-4 AR and it made one heck of a difference. Barrel hardly moves. We shoot out to 500 yards in one of our local matches. He uses 55gr .556 Federal ammo and has no problems. Hits the 200-500 yd steel with a Burris Tac30 scope using their bullet drop reticle with out any adjustments. Great scope, great comp.

gerritm

Edited by gerritm

And just put a Miculek comp on the upper you have and give it whirl. Can't go wrong. (I think the best comp for the $)

A good buddy of mine and an incredible rifleman once told me the most important pieces of an AR are: barrel, brake, and trigger. You put a little bit of cash into those three things and get a nice optic and I'd say you're more than capable to run your rifle for a while.

BUT, if you MUST buy a new upper. Carbon Arms makes a really slick upper set up that runs JP guts and barrel (I think) for about $1,200 bucks. Might be worth your time.

I will channel Trapr here : "If your current AR will shoot 2 MOA, it will not hold you back."

I'd spend the extra money in the trigger & range time but if funds are not a problem or you just want something new, then go for it.

Edited by warpspeed

Agreed with the above. Spend money on optics and ammo. Those two things you can and will always use. A good optic can go on a good upper later after you save up and find out what you like. Iv been running the same 16in upper for the last 8000rds. It's not the best but a good optic, good ammo and practice make it very effective out to 500yds.

Agreed.. buy a good optic AND MOUNT. I have seen a lot of guys thru the years with a very good optic in a cheap mount that cannot hold a zero, and blame everything except the mount as to why they can`t hit shit.. You will be farther ahead as you progress spending a little more for better equipment up front and not have to buy twice later..

Put a good trigger in it, get good optics, spent the rest of the cash on ammo and practice. Learn it inside and out to the distances you plan on shooting. Once your skills increase, you will really see the benefits of a higher end rifle.

Thanks for all the advice. I will try what you guys recommended.

I will look into getting a comp probably a Miculek or Rolling Thunder. And as far as optic I have been looking at a Burris 1-4X but not sure of it yet.

Thanks for the help.

The only problem I have with the 16 in barrel is making pf with 55 gr. bullet. Several people at the Nationals had a problem.

I've had the Georgia Arms Canned Heat ammo go sub-minor out of 16" barrel. 149.9 PF

Spend money on optics a good optic, good ammo make it very effective out to 500yds.

Agreed.. buy a good optic AND MOUNT. Put a good trigger in it, get good optics,

What is "good mount"? Best brand of ammo?

Jack

Midway usa has a really good price on Stoner mounts with built in rings. Edited by elynch2007

Spend money on optics a good optic, good ammo make it very effective out to 500yds.

Agreed.. buy a good optic AND MOUNT. Put a good trigger in it, get good optics,

What is "good mount"? Best brand of ammo?

Jack

I have used only LaRues and a modified PRI mount and ring set for the last 6 years, with no problems at all. Yeah, they cost a bit more, but your going to get what you pay for. Putting a $600+ scope in a sub par mount is asking for trouble. You need a solid platform when your banging into barricades, dropping your rifle into a barrel or onto a table. In the middle of a stage is not a good time to find your zero shifted due to one of the previously mentioned incidents.. seen it happen more than once. Look around at what the better shooters are using and ask questions.. or call Paul at MSTN, hes an awesome guy and will get you squared away the first time.

ammo:.. I shoot mostly PMC 55 grain for local matches out to 200 yds or so, at a big match I use Black Hills Reman 55/68 grain depending. Thats just me and what I`m comfortable with and have had good luck in the years I have been doing this..

hope that helps