Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which range bag is better POLL

Derek45

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SC bag is great, especially for range sessions where I don't have to carry it around.

The biggest problem is keeping the weight down. I'm almost positive that anything placed in the bag instantly weighs twice as much as it does out of the bag.

I'm thinking it's time to buy a wagon of some sort to haul the bag from stage to stage, especially since I changed the format of my match to 3-gun (even more stuff needed). With a wagon, I'd just load up the bag and not worry about how much it weighs.

Another vote for the rolling toolbox! It works best for me because I can carry all the stuff my two sons and I need for a match.

When car-pooling to a remote match I bring my old trusty Red/Black Buchanan range bag. If the Buchanan ever dies, I'm going with the I-Shot.

Wagons and rolling tool boxes are great, but the folks I know who use them drive SUV's, pickups, or station wagons. My four door compact can take my SC bag and ammo cans or Dillon Border Switch bag, but no way is a wagon or other roller gonna get in the trunk or back seat... <_<

Actually, the rolling boxes split into 3 small sections and will fit comfortably in the trunk of most cars. I've seen people fit them in the cab of a pickup behind the seat!

Now if you have 4 people trying to do that, then I agree that there's a problem :P

Kevin

• 6 months later...

People, the biggest complaint I have read is that my Shooters Connection Tournament Bag is too heavy. All the space that is there doesnt have to be filled up, its there if you need it though. Thats why it comes with the lift out inner bag so you can use it as a stage bag if you dont want to carry the whole bag around. The new version of the bag has mag pouches in the inner bag as well, 6 of them.

The 2 complaints that my bag along with others was trashed after a year is really weird considering my bag is no doubt the most rugged bag made today. I have to admit the first batch did not have the best design on the way the shoulder strap ring was attached the the main bag. The factory sewed the strap for the ring into the top seam and that was it. We had about 50 out of a 800 we had to replace. On the second batch we had the factory sew the ring strap down the side and into the bottom seam. Have not a single one come loose in the last 3000 bags. The 2 other bags we had returned were from zippers ripping out. Although I shouldnt replace bags where the user forcefully ripped the zipper out, I did.

Bottom line is I offer customers who are not sure the option to return it if it isnt everything i say it is when they recieve it. I havent had one returned. Most cant believe what they are getting for the price. Sure there are some cheap imitations out there but I have always been told you get what you pay for, in the case of my bag you get more than you pay for according to most of my customers.

People, the biggest complaint I have read is that my Shooters Connection Tournament Bag is too heavy. All the space that is there doesnt have to be filled up, its there if you need it though. Thats why it comes with the lift out inner bag so you can use it as a stage bag if you dont want to carry the whole bag around. The new version of the bag has mag pouches in the inner bag as well, 6 of them.

Oh Contraire! Shooting Bags, like Nature, abhore a vacuum! Of course it has to be filled up! It seems there is always something looking for a place to go into the bag and Chuck's bag has a place for it. I've had mine for about two years now and it is the primary bag for the range. Fortunately it has the inner stage bag for matches because I need help to lift the whole thing! :D

Chuck,

can the new inner bag with the mag pouches be purchased separately?

Over beers one night after a day of shooting (where else do great ideas arise!) a group of shooters from multiple disciplines where discussing this very issue. Since most of us either have Shooter Connection Tournament bags or the small Dillon bag (from one of many vendors) the SC bag won out.

But we ended up with two improvement that we thought would make it near perfect.

(1) Sell the inside bag as a seperate item, but include one with the bag purchase. This means a shooter could have multiple inside bags preloaded for different disciplines. Personally, I find that the gear in the four outside gear pockets doesn't change, its all pretty generic (parts and tool kit, suncreen, eyes and ears, timers, etc), but when I have a USPSA shoot on Sat and a SASS shoot on Sun, it would be handy to have two inside bags.

(2) Modify the big outside pocket and remove the magazine pounches. Rather than having 8 fixed magazine pockets, have two horizontal strips of velcro and detachable 1/2 width accessories. So an Open/Limited/Limited-10 shooter might order the bag with two 4 magazine inserts, while a Revolver shooter might order it with two speedloader or moonclip holding inserts. A 3-Gunner might order a spare insert that holds rifle magazines. This would greatly enhance the flexibility of the bag.

But other than that its a darn nice bag!

James

Shooters Connection bag is awesome. Plus Chuck supports the sport in a major way. I won mine on a prize table, and many others have won them too. I would buy another one anytime, but they are so darn tough, mine still looks new after over 100 matches, and about as many trips to the range. I love the stage bag, it alone is worth the money, as other manufacturers get as much for just their small bag.

Over beers one night after a day of shooting (where else do great ideas arise!) a group of shooters from multiple disciplines where discussing this very issue. Since most of us either have Shooter Connection Tournament bags or the small Dillon bag (from one of many vendors) the SC bag won out.

But we ended up with two improvement that we thought would make it near perfect.

(1) Sell the inside bag as a seperate item, but include one with the bag purchase. This means a shooter could have multiple inside bags preloaded for different disciplines. Personally, I find that the gear in the four outside gear pockets doesn't change, its all pretty generic (parts and tool kit, suncreen, eyes and ears, timers, etc), but when I have a USPSA shoot on Sat and a SASS shoot on Sun, it would be handy to have two inside bags.

(2) Modify the big outside pocket and remove the magazine pounches. Rather than having 8 fixed magazine pockets, have two horizontal strips of velcro and detachable 1/2 width accessories. So an Open/Limited/Limited-10 shooter might order the bag with two 4 magazine inserts, while a Revolver shooter might order it with two speedloader or moonclip holding inserts. A 3-Gunner might order a spare insert that holds rifle magazines. This would greatly enhance the flexibility of the bag.

But other than that its a darn nice bag!

James

Sounds like the i-Shot bag!!

vluc, we have to remove the quality for it to be that. I will callenge anybody to a side by side evaluation for quality of material and workmanship. Not a word battle a real side by side. I think most have already done that by the number of my bags you see on the range. There is none as good or better when you look at the overall picture of Quality, Design and Price. If it could be done better I would take it there. Just the way I am. Same with the Bedell guns, if we could make them better we would.

Selling the inner bag seperately may be something I do in the future. For now I only have them inside the complete package.

AS far as the mag pouches. I shoot 3 gun also and have a seperate bag I carry with ar and shotgun gear in it.

Revolvers? What is that? Is that something you ride that goes round and round till you get dizzy? Oh its that antique Jerry M shoots. Give me my 20 rounds and single action trigger, if I want to limit my equipment I will shoot a single stack 45. :lol:

If I removed the fixed pouches for variable ones then the guys who the bag was designed for would suffer. I cant change the whole bag for 1% of the shooters, it just doenst make sense. No coming up with an adapter like a local fellow did that hangs over the flap for his speedloaders may be an idea. Still not enough interest to warrant the quantities i have to produce in.

Thanks for the input, I am willing to consider all the input and discuss the pros and cons openly but the suggestion has to work in big picture to be feasible. SOme of the changes we have made.

First run had the nylon strap sewed in top seam, we had it sewed all the way down the side and intot he bottom seam.

A couple customers ripped the fabric stop off the zippers. We changed them to Metal tabs instead.

Customers wanted elastic in them to hold pens, tools etc. We added them.

Customers wanted mag pouches in the inner bag . We added them.

Customer complained that some big open guns wouldnt fit into inner bag zipper pouches. We made the inner bag taller this year.

I cant add a gun rug without going up on price and I dont want to do that. We have made all these changes that cost me more but have not raised the price since introduction.

All suggestions welcome.

Chuck

I really like the design of the SCT bag. I shoot L-10 and can fit 16 Power 10 mags in those nice mag holders. I'll usually use the elastic for four 8 round mags + pens, mag brush, etc...

No wonder the bag is heavy ;)

I'm still pretty sure that the bag, even when totally empty, weighs more than it did new. I'm thinking the bag material somehow absorbs lead from the air or something :wacko:

I do tend to leave it in the car these days in favor of a lighter bag at matches. I've still got what I might need in an emergency, but don't have to lug it around or have to pack and repack before a match. It's perfect for practice, and I'm out practicing more than I'm at matches.

Now if the bag were to levitate 3 feet off the ground, then that would be the only improvement I could think of.

I used a BagMaster bag for a number of years. My wife gave me one of Chuck's bags for Christmas (efter me leaving Front Sight open to the add all over the house) Couldn't be more pleased.

I looked at a lot of bags and talked to ISHOT to the point of some input on a revolver bag that was ignored. The difference in quality of Chuck's to most others is worth the price.

As for carrying the bag, I use a cart designed for beach fishing. The rod holders hold an umbrella as well as loaded and used moon clips for my revolver. Works great. Enough room for a small cooler for water, and steady enough to sit on it. I keep a piece of plywood to go over the top rail to rail for a seat.

The large tires are designed for rough terrain and if I could put a small motor on it to drive it, it would be complete ;)

Here is a pic from a web site that is close to what I have.

small_cart.jpg

For indoor matches, Stap;es sells a folding file box with wheels. Looks like a Milk Crate. That is large enough to handle all I need for stages.

I've used everything from SC to some nylon POS from a gun show to I-shot, and to be perfectly honest, I've broken all of them.

Now that Helmie is using steel clasps on his bags, I doubt that I'll break another one. For $90, it's hard to beat the Big I-shot bag. When traveling, I can just put the inner bag from my big bag into my medium sized one, and I can fit it on any overhead compartment on any plane.

I still use Chuck's improved bag for all of my LE supplies at work!

Phil

Phil, You sell Ishot bags in your store right? I wish you would sell mine. I think if you set mine next to theirs then it would be a no brainer unless they just couldnt afford the extra cost. But I agree their is a place for the cheaper bag. Its usually in the mainstream market and not the competition market which is what i concentrate on and thrive in. Competition shooters usually want the best of everything

You did break the first bag you bought from me. It was one of those first generations with the shoulder strap ring problem. I talked about that problem earlier. I belive i replaced it for you though. Have any problems with the improved bag? That first generation bag is about 5 years old now. We are now on the 4th generation bag.

You coming to Ky state to whop up on me? I mean it wasnt that long ago your only goal at a match was to whoop me. You can do it anytime now and Ky state will be one of those places. Come on or are you scared I may dig one out like I did at the 2002 Aware? Probably my last big win since I am getting old and fat, well always been that how about , older and fatter. :lol:

Just ordered one from Chuck. I tell you what, a real nice guy who takes the time to talk about everything that is gun and gun related. Added alot of helpful information to my limited experience in just one phone call. That alone is worth way more than a bag.

toolbossjr.jpg

Recently on sale at Menard's for $20.

Note the built-in mag-holders and rubber-bottom. Awesome zippers, canvas, gate-mouth, pockets, D-rings, built-in mesh PACT or CED800 pocket. Clip made for all belt-clip accessories ... including oversize water-bottle pocket. Haven't figured out what to do with the built-in cell-phone pocket (yes, that's what it actually is) yet. :huh:

I sure would like to meet the shooter who designed this "tool bag". ;)