Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your opinion on the beretta 682

West Texas Granny

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've shot my 682 Gold E continuously since I bought it new from Joel Etchen back in 2002. I love this guns handling. I especially liked the Optima barrel and chokes - it really puts the pattern on clay birds, whether sporting, skeet, or trap.

I do agree that the Evolution barrels are light, even on my 32" gun. I tried adding different weights but didn't like the way they looked or couldn't keep them on. ( a million stories on that unsuccessful effort)

As a result, I started shooting 1 ounce and now 7/8 ounce target loads for everything to cut the recoil.

Then, I had a gunsmith friend cut the stock and pitch to fit me, and added a Jones adjustable pad with a Kickeeze pad. Recoil was greatly reduced.

Next, I recently had an adjustable comb installed and had Dennis DeVault add a 3/8th high Delvrin rib over my factory rib.

I could not be happier with the results! The heads up orientation suits me well! The new rib ads little weight but it is spread across the full 32" length of the rib. Between the rib and adjustable hardware on the buttstock - the overall weight and balance has all but eliminated recoil - even with 1 1/8 loads!

The gun itself is super reliable. My triggers are crisp. The 3/8s rib is the same as the K-80 Sporter. In fact, Dennis is doing more of his rib jobs than ever. Jon Kruger was one of his first fans, and today Bill McQuire shoots nothing but his Blaser F3 with a Devault rib.

Someday I will refinish my 682 and go with oil instead of the poly high gloss. I have some dings that I want to remove someday.

But in terms of being a rugged, high volume, clay busting shotgun - you can pay more but not get a better gun for the money. If you find a used one in great shape - buy it! I'm proof you can make it fit! Good luck and break them all friends.

The 682 Beretta is a great shotgun and probably the best value available for a target shotgun. They eaisly handle the high volume of clay target sports. I shoot a Custom Grade Kolar for sporting clays and trap doubles. My safe has 3 Beretta 682s in 12 , 20 and 28 guage with 30" barrels that I hunt with. They are also used by my children and granchildren for sporting clays.

• 1 month later...

Shoot one before you buy at any price. God made Berettas to punish trapshooters. Worst cheek bruising ever for me. And yes I have owned one.

Cheek slap is going to be a direct result of how the stock fits you.... Stocks can be bent to your dimensions so don't get too worked up over it... Everyone has a different build so some shotguns may need an adjustment.

I have owned 4 or 5 682s over the years and they are a great gun built on a great design. The Pre- E models tended to be a bit beefier than the current line up but they are very well made and will give you decades of use.

Edited by S391

I do agree that the Evolution barrels are light, even on my 32" gun. I tried adding different weights but didn't like the way they looked or couldn't keep them on. ( a million stories on that unsuccessful effort)

I find the E series barrels to be almost too light... Angleport used to offer a 9 oz weight that would go between the ribs, under the handguard. I ran this set up on my 32" 682 E and it totally changed the feel / dynamics of the gun...

• 2 months later...

I have had my 682 gold e for about 8 years. It has been great. However it started doubling on me about a year ago. I sent it to Barrett's expecting 6 months and several hundred $$. The gun came back 2 weeks later with 0 cost to repair. Yep, I recommend it.

When I was younger I shot a Browning Superposed Skeet/Skeet with my dad. I liked it a lot. My dad passed his 682 Sporting onto many years ago. It is an older model.

I started shooting skeet again with some modified 5 stand thrown in just for fun. It took me a while to adjust to the 682. I had the stock modified to an adjustable one. Shot my highest 5 stand scores the other day. Sunday, I did three rounds of skeet in the low 20s. I am pretty happy with the gun.

It is different than the Browning but I have adjusted to it. I am now just starting to see improvement in my scores. BTW: I just shoot skeet for fun. I am not nearly as anal about it as I am USPSA.

• 4 months later...

Hello: We have 2 Beretta 682's now. One is a 28" Super Sport graystone with tubes and the newer one is a Gold E trap combo for my 14 year old son. I have not shot the Gold E yet but it is setup for a smaller person with shorter stock and adjustable comb. The Gold E is lighter than my Super Sport. I really like these guns even as much as my model 32. They are a great buy but getting harder to find. I may want to find another one for my 11 year old. Thanks, Eric

• 1 month later...

I am just getting into shooting trap and bought a lightly used Greystone gold x trap. I was described by a fitter as too tall, too skinny and too long of a neck for a standard gun. The 682 feels great and even better now with a grayco adjustable butt plate and kick eez pad. All I hear at the range and the gunshop I had look it over was that there are more expensive guns out there but this one is all you'll ever need. I'm quite happy with the quality.

• 3 months later...

I had two different 692's (30" and 32") in my hands yesterday. I currently shoot a SV10 Prevail I Sporting that fits me pretty darn well (it shoots where I look). The 692 fits pretty darn close to the same but is just a bit wider and a bit heavier. The big difference is the grip that fits my hand much better than the SV10. Fit and finish is very nice and the wood on both looked good. Trying to talk the dealer into letting me shoot it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I shoot quite a bit of clays. I have a couple of Guerini's - one a sub-gauge 30" O/U that I mostly shoot sporting in 28Ga and 20Ga (Mostly 28Ga). I started out shooting mostly trap and skeet with a 32" Beretta 682 Gold E Sporting 12Ga. I really liked the 682GE, which I still own. It's a very light O/U for a 32" gun. Bought it used in Houston at a Gander Mountain. The drop fit me just right for trap. It is a natural pointer.

All I can say is that 682GE is never leaving my safe!

• 4 weeks later...

I've shot my 682 Gold E Skeet for at least a decade now, and I can highly recommend them.

The Gold E barrels are definitely lighter than the previous 682 barrels...more lively. If looking for a nice used gun, I would recommend trying a 30" set on the 682 and a 32" on the Gold E, but it is all about feel. Those ASE's are very nice, and getting hard to find.

• 2 months later...

I've had more Beretta 682's and EELL's than any other shogun, and I loved them. I don't shoot Sporting Clays any more, but it seemed to me the 682's and EELL's that I had were a bit worse for recoil than some of the other O/U I owned at the time. All of my guns were back bored, and that should have made a difference, but it didn't seem to. Maybe the 12 gauge bores are just tighter in a Beretta than some of the other guns, but that sounds kind of dumb too. I used Krieghoffs, and Remington 3200's and 325's and the recoil seemed to be less in those guns. I haven't dabbled in the more expensive shotguns for sometime, so I have no idea what they are going for right now. I sold my last 682 for $2300, and my last EELL for $4200, that was about 8 years ago.

nothing wrong with the 682 beretta . ive shot some good scores with my s682x combo . also had a couple of 686's . all shot well and held up great . get a good 1 oz load for the 12 ga or a good 7/8 oz load for the twenty and recoil should be light

Edited by deadnout

Hello: We had 3 682's and we sold the trap model since we don't shoot that much trap here. My sons is a 682 Super Sport and mine is a 682E sporting. Both shoot great but I think the longer barreled 682E 32" shoots better for me than the 28" 682 SS. These are really great guns and hold there value really well. I may try a 692 to see how it compares but I really like my DT-10L. Thanks, Eric

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I shot a Beretta 682 Super Sport 28" for many years and tens of thousands of rounds. Never a malfunction of any kind.

Eventually I switched to a shotgun with slightly heavier barrels to slow down my swing a bit. I still love the 682 but now it feels a bit "whippy" to me.

As Kalaybuster said, if it fits and the balance feels good to you, it's hard to beat a 682 for the money.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

For Sporting Clays they are great. I think with any serious competitor you should invest in having a stock fit. For Trap, Dennis Devault, or Wenig.com. For Sporting Clays Jim Greenwood is my favorite hands down. I currently shoot a Greenwood,. and have had multiple Wenig Self Fit and one Custom fabrication from the Wenig folks