Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your opinion on the beretta 682

West Texas Granny

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone with experience with this shotgun for trap and what are prices for one in your area.

Shoot one before you buy at any price. God made Berettas to punish trapshooters. Worst cheek bruising ever for me. And yes I have owned one.

In my opinion, the 682 is the perfect clay shooting shotgun. I've got two of them, a 2005 model Sporting with 32" barrels, and a mid-80's model with tubed 28s. The shorter one has logged over 250,000 rounds and still locks up tight as a drum. My 32" gun has had lots of rounds through it (not as many as the shorter one) and is IMHO the perfect Sporting Clays gun for me. I've shot my best ever tournament score with that gun (92, missed HOA by 1 bird).

Before the 682's, I had a couple of autos and a Browning 425. The Citoris are too deep for my tastes, and I'm not a fan of the under-lug locking system. The Berettas are shallower, but wider, and I prefer the barrel trunnions.

Everyone's different, but I swing and point the Berettas better than any others, except perhaps Perazzi. I don't care for K-80's (always feel like swinging a railroad tie). Never had an issue with mine, can't consider parting with either of them.

The only problem is that the prices have gone up. The new ones are insane - about $4K give or take. I still see used ones around - last summer I found a 90's "greystone" Super Sporting with a spare set of 20 gauge barrels for $1800. 28" skeet guns may also be a bargain. But 30" or 32" guns will be pricey for one.

One of the best shotguns going for clays. They are built to last and the E models with the larger bore and Optima chokes are easy to shoot. Along with the Browning XT probably the most popular shotguns on the trap line. If it fits you can't go wrong. That price sounds about normal for a new 682E you can buy the Browning XT for less. Best to shoot as many as you can to see what suits you. If you go to a major shoot the vendors will let you try them out on the practice field. Shotguns used in trap are the most specialized of the clay bird sports so picking the right gun is important. You can shoot trap with anything but you aren't going to see your best scores until you have a trap gun.

Another consideration is that the 68X series is far more similar than different - from the 686 ONYX field models up to the 682 - much like Browning's Citoris. One of my wife's target guns is a 30" 686. I believe the only functional differences between her 686 and my 682 are the lack of replaceable barrel shoulders and trigger position adjustment on the 686. Other than that it's cosmetics and price tag.

With that in mind, if you're already looking at $3600 for a 682 for trap, it would be worth considering something like a 687. I'm assuming that the 682 is an O/U model. Companies like Joel Etchen do limited runs of combo sets with a single barrel set as well as an O/U set combined for a few hundred dollars more than what you're looking at. For singles trap, a "bottom single" with an adjustable rib has some real advantages. With a combo set, you're ready to go for singles or doubles with one setup. And the 687 has replaceable barrel shoulders. My recollection is that the only difference on this would be the engraving.

Edited by 59Bassman

Another consideration is that the 68X series is far more similar than different - from the 686 ONYX field models up to the 682 - much like Browning's Citoris. One of my wife's target guns is a 30" 686. I believe the only functional differences between her 686 and my 682 are the lack of replaceable barrel shoulders and trigger position adjustment on the 686. Other than that it's cosmetics and price tag.

With that in mind, if you're already looking at $3600 for a 682 for trap, it would be worth considering something like a 687. I'm assuming that the 682 is an O/U model. Companies like Joel Etchen do limited runs of combo sets with a single barrel set as well as an O/U set combined for a few hundred dollars more than what you're looking at. For singles trap, a "bottom single" with an adjustable rib has some real advantages. With a combo set, you're ready to go for singles or doubles with one setup. And the 687 has replaceable barrel shoulders. My recollection is that the only difference on this would be the engraving.

I shot some trap this morning with a gentleman who had the very setup you are talking about. Very nice indeed.

• 2 months later...

Any of that Beretta series is one of the best guns around for trap. Those and the Citori XT trap are the poor man's best trap guns(and they usually break less than a Perrazi).

I have used a Beretta 682 Gold for skeet and trap for the past 15 years. I use the factory 28" barrel as a carrier barrel for tubes. I have a second ported 28" barrel with weights for shooting 12ga. And my favorite, a 30" O/U trap barrel. With the adjustable comb, I can change the gun over from skeet to trap in about 5 minutes. In my opinion, it is one of the best guns out there for any type of clay target shooting. You can't go wrong :cheers:

I have no desire to replace my 682 Gold E Sporting, 32" with a custom adj comb. I use it for serious sporting, 5 stand and casual, fun trap. As always try before you buy a couple rounds at least. Excellent gun....

• 4 weeks later...

I have had two 682 trap combos over the years. Both shot many thousands of rounds and never had any problems. Of course, as with any shotgun, the most important thing is that it fit you. The saying is, "If it doesn't fit, it is just a club."

Jim

I own and have show many 682's. My 682 super sporting 28" has served me well in skeet, sporting clays and upland game. My 682 30" trap shoots great for 16 yard, doubles and international trap. I have had 680's s and a few 686's but they were field guns and I was not in love with them. Look at Jasuas fine guns in Findlay, Ohio www.jaquas.com They usually have good deals. Might also find an older BT99, they also shoot well.

• 2 weeks later...

Another good thing about the Beretta 682 series is that barrels interchange easily, most of the time without fitting and at worst very minor fitting is needed. The trap barrels are a lot heavier than the sporting or field barrels which makes a big difference in feel. I need a fairly heavy gun to smooth out my crappy swing so a trap barrel along with a weight in the butt stock works well for me. On the 34" x trap single barrels I would use a clamp on weight to get more weight out front. Perazzi and Kreighoff are the only other guns that barrels can be swapped easily on, well other than Remmy 1100 and 870's.

The Browning XT is by far the most popular ou trap gun I see, it is a great gun I've shoot great scores with one but interchangeable barrels are pretty much out. With the XT you need to buy a factory combination gun if you want different barrels. I like the 32" monte carlo, it will work pretty well for any of the clay games too, I have one now but I'm going to sell it because I've re-started my ultimate 1100 project. I want to build an 1100 up with every crazy idea I can come up with including a scratch built trigger system and see how it works. I have a stock built up with a huge palm swell and have it fitting me real well and a barrel I built a short high rib of shooting doubles so far.

I shot a couple of different Perazzi's for awhile and have to say they were wonderful. Shot my absolute best scores but I just couldn't live with having that much money in a shotgun since I don't shoot much and don't compete seriously anymore. I read and believed what most people do that they can't be much difference but the balance and especially the trigger, the triggers are just awesome, does make a difference. I feel if you come from a competition pistol background and are used to 1lb 1911 triggers that your shotgun triggers will be more important. Guys who haven't done much but shotgun pretty much slap their triggers so they don't see the difference as much and many of them have gone to a release trigger anyway.

I had a 682 Gold for a few years and it was a great shooting shotgun. If the gun is bruising your cheek you need to get it fitted. I upgraded to a Beretta DT-10 and couldn't be happier with the performance of the shotgun. I am a big Beretta shotgun fan so my opinion may be slanted, but they fit and feel better to me.

I wish that Beretta would have stayed with the oil finish on the 682s. Mine has the gloss-poly finish and I got my first dent in the forend a couple weeks ago. It "cracked" the poly finish and looks ugly. I think an oil finish would work better.

• 2 weeks later...

There are Many Many different 682's. I just bought an old skool one for $800 and it's one those bullet proof ones. You can't go wrong with one in your safe. Go-To is Perazzi but i'm a BIG fan of the old 682's. They run and run.

More reliable than the DT-10's (still own one of those too) but not a fine of a gun.

Lastly, the newer 682's seem to come with lighter and smaller wood in my experience. This leads to poor impressions, lighter feel, and more recoil. First thing I did with my cheapo was find some old old wood with some volume and bolted it on.

• 5 months later...

I agree.

They are relatively light guns.

Moreover, Berettas are more expensive, in general, than other guns of similar quality.

If you are certain you want a O/U in that general price range, consider a Browning Cynergy - not the highest quality, but bear in mind all O/U shotguns are overpriced (relative to semi-automatics). I feel the only real advantages of O/Us are the availability of sub-gauge tubes, ease of loading/unloading, and perhaps, balance. Recoil is substantially worse.

If you are willing to consider a semi-automatic, I recommend a Remington 1100 competition (overall, there are many excellent available choices).

Good luck.

Anyone with experience with this shotgun for trap and what are prices for one in your area.

Shoot one before you buy at any price. God made Berettas to punish trapshooters. Worst cheek bruising ever for me. And yes I have owned one.

• 1 month later...

I have a 682x Combo with 50k rounds thru it. They hold up great. I would recommend having the trigger converted to full mechanical instead of recoil activated for the Second shot. The triggers are the weak point using coil springs. Step up to a Ljutic or Perazzi for life long lasting shooting.