Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Budget long range rifle

drglock

Gun started out as a stock Rem 700 SPS Tactical in .308 then added a few goodies.

1.HS-Precision stock

2.Timney trigger

3.Wyatt's trigger guard that use 5 or 10 round mags

4.US optic's 20 MOA base

5.New paint for stock.

6.Vortex razor HD 5-20 scope

7.Adustable cheek rest

For a $600 rifle it shoots lights out.

Here are a few pic's

gunss006.jpg

First group shot

gun004.jpg

7 round group with 175 smk's

target001.jpg

400 yard group of of bench

400002.jpg

450 yards off bipod

4002001.jpg

As soon as the weather is better Im gonna to stretch it out a bit longer

I have more money in the scope than I do the rifle

Edited by drglock

No longer a $600 rifle, but it does go to show the basic action and barrel are fairly sound because all the additional kit won't help if those things are no good.

I total agree.I have right at $1400 in the gun not counting the scope.Throw out the wyatt's bottom and mag check rest and a guy could almost get into for about a $1000.

It's a great base gun for someone to buy and the goodies as the can afford them.

Edited by drglock

Shot this group today

Can you identify the order in which those shots were fired? How many rounds did you shoot before shooting this group?

I shot one shot to make sure I was on target it was low left put up a new target made scope adjustments then fired the five shot group taking only enough time between shots to get back on target and to get a good sight picture.I have no Idea which shots hit were on the target.Was by myself didnt have anyone to look thru the spotting scope nor did use it between shots.Was amazed at the three that were grouped together.so far the two loads I have tried thru it(168SMK's with varget,175SMK's and N550)have been one solid hole.If you look at the 7 shot group I shot its preety much a dime size whole,the one shot thats off the group is when the gun went off before I was quite ready(new trigger set at 18 oz)

Edited by drglock

I total agree.I have right at $1400 in the gun not counting the scope.Throw out the wyatt's bottom and mag check rest and a guy could almost get into for about a $1000.

It's a great base gun for someone to buy and the goodies as the can afford them.

Hate to be nosy but did you put $1400 into it after the original $600 or is it $1400 total? Precision rifle is still foreign to me a bit & I'm trying to get a handle on costs. How do you like the Vortex scope? What is the rough cost on it? Thanks!

MLM

Hate to be nosy but did you put $1400 into it after the original $600 or is it $1400 total? Precision rifle is still foreign to me a bit & I'm trying to get a handle on costs. How do you like the Vortex scope? What is the rough cost on it? Thanks!

MLM

$1396 total not counting shipping on the orders.

Timney trigger $115

US Optics 20 MOA base $109

HS Precision stock $299

Wyatt's Detachable Mag $249

Rem 700 SPS Tactical $624

Love the Vortex Razor its an awesome scope just as good if not a tad better than my Nightforce

Edited by drglock

Dollar for dollar, Vortex makes some very good glass. Of course, it depends a lot on what you are looking for, but generally speaking as the price goes up in the Vortex line, you can count on the quality going up as well. I have a Vortex PST 4-16x which is a good scope for my needs. The Razor 5-20x is the next step up the ladder but is more scope than my eyes can appreciate or my wallet can tolerate.

Dollar for dollar, Vortex makes some very good glass. Of course, it depends a lot on what you are looking for, but generally speaking as the price goes up in the Vortex line, you can count on the quality going up as well. I have a Vortex PST 4-16x which is a good scope for my needs. The Razor 5-20x is the next step up the ladder but is more scope than my eyes can appreciate or my wallet can tolerate.

I'll probably step on a few toes here,I have a friend that got me started in this long range stuff and he shoots with A Vortex Viper PST 6-20 FFP and I would have to say its just as good as my Leupold mark4 6-20.The glass looks just as good and it tracks good.I also like there life time warranty that Vortex has.