Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going to be a slow start to 2012 USPSA

Aggieddad02

Last weekend of deer season, on my way to the stand last Saturday morning and I see a 50 lb sack in the road so I figure I will turn around and get if off the road. Making the U-turn I drop the right-side wheels in about a 2.5 foot ditch and throw the foot out and get it caught under the rear wheel. Three days later I am told ankle is broke. Doctor says it is the small bone which hopefully is a good thing. Blows - I had signed up for a Manny Bragg class with my son and friends and had planned to see about cataract surgery to correct that problem. Will be in a cast for 6 weeks and hopefully no pins. For those of you who have experienced a similar injury, how to do transition back into the USPSA game? I am thinking slowly at first and listen to what the doctor says. :cheers:

post-26181-0-33367500-1326307383_thumb.j

Last weekend of deer season, on my way to the stand last Saturday morning and I see a 50 lb sack in the road so I figure I will turn around and get if off the road. Making the U-turn I drop the right-side wheels in about a 2.5 foot ditch and throw the foot out and get it caught under the rear wheel. Three days later I am told ankle is broke. Doctor says it is the small bone which hopefully is a good thing. Blows - I had signed up for a Manny Bragg class with my son and friends and had planned to see about cataract surgery to correct that problem. Will be in a cast for 6 weeks and hopefully no pins. For those of you who have experienced a similar injury, how to do transition back into the USPSA game? I am thinking slowly at first and listen to what the doctor says. :cheers:

Wow, what a lously way to start the year! :wacko:

When I was racing motocross, I broke my ankle and it took me half a season to get back to where I was physically. Your leg muscles are going to atrophy a little by the time they take the cast off. You'll have to rehab it and build strength back into it slowly. Like you said, listen to your doc and your body.

You can't do anything about the injury, but you can maintain or advance your other skills. Refocus you movement training towards accuracy drills, practice your seated or prone shooting, develop your draws and reloads, etc. Whatever you are able to do while injured, come back doing them better so when the time comes to start shooting again all your focus can go into things you weren't able to do because of the ankle.

Went for my first follow-up doctor's visit and we moved to a boot. Doctor also told me I will be in "something" for 8 - 10 weeks. Not what I wanted to hear by any means. We will start range of motion excercises in 6 weeks and go from there. Asked him what to expect on the recovery side since I shoot USPSA competition. Doctor then tells me he has seen that on the Shooting USA program and how he was impressed with Jerry Miculek's skills. I told him, "Think of Miculek as a 78 rpm record and think of me as about a 33 rpm record, but I bet I have just as much fun". Will pozt from time to time as we progress. Glad I have these forums to keep me in the shooting game during this time, not much else I can do right now.

pre_1326910909__boot_1.jpg

At some point (if not already) you should be seeing a Physical Therapist. PAY ATTENTION TO HIM/HER AND DO WHAT THEY TELL YOU!!! I speak from experience. Your recovery will go faster and better if you religiously follow their exercise regime TO THE LETTER!

Good luck.

Practice EVERY drill now that you can with the lame ankle that you wouldn't normally practice! This is the time! This is an excuse to do lots of drills that you wouldn't normally do. Shoot prone, shoot from a chair, shoot slow groups, shoot a star wheel, shoot groups at 30 yards. This is an opportunity, not necessarily a limitation. I posted up how much I learned and improved after having two shoulder surgeries in a 6 month period. I'm still recovering, but I will be comfortable shooting weak hand and weak hand only from now on. Why? Because I shot 4000 rounds that way over the last 6 weaks. I would never have done that if I hadn't had the "opportunity". You can improve and broaden your skills over the next few months, not loose them. Get after it.

Joe

UPDATE - Went to doctor yesterday and did X-rays. Bones have hearled to the point of joining back together. In two weeks I can start putting light weight on it and gradually build up amount of weight. Back to doctor in one month to re-evaluate. Hopefully this is good news at least it sounds so to me. Can't drive, can't reload and can't go to range to shoot. Not much to do except sit in recliner and watch the tube or surf the net. Thank goodness for BE and it's members. Yall keep me in touch with the sport. Thanks AND NO BEER EITHER :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Started walking on the ankle today using the crutches and applying light weight. No pain and seems to be OK so far. Will continue this for 2 more weeks gradually increasing the weight and then go back to doctor for new X-rays. Hoping this is a good sign

Well, we are walking on it now with the aircast and one crutch. So far all seems good, no pain in tne ankle but still swelling a lot. Doctor says it will do this for 6 or 7 months. Hopefully next week when I go to doctor I can lose the boot and start driving again. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Doctor says 70 - 80% healed and took the cast off. Walking is slow as I have to adjust back to before accident mode and stop throwing the leg around from the hip (update each day seems to be a little better). Still swollen and that will take time. Had to purchase new shoes that were big enough to get swollen foot in. At least now I can work on draw time and mag changes. Loading up some new rounds to chrono for power factor. Going to practice driving around neighborhood this weekend. Moving forward but slowly. Thanks for the support :cheers:

pre_1331231787__walking_again.jpg

Glad to see things are progressing and you still have about 2 months before the MS Classic, that is plenty of time. Speaking of which I should start working on my conditioning, to much time behind the dinner table and on the couch has softened my up.

• 4 weeks later...

Well Joe I shot my first match this past weekend and thought I did pretty well on the stages (scores will tell) however I hosed the classifier. Was running to fast so we all know how that has to be handled. Ankle held up well, still swelling and probably will for months according to the doctor who I will see today. Felt good to be back on the range. I am hoping to shoot several matches before I head to the Mississippi Classic. My goal there is to shoot as best I can and avoid a DQ. Thanks for the inquiry and have a good season.

Walter