Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Pistol Options

BigBets

Need a little advice...After obtaining an SVI 40 cal limited gun it has become quite obvious what I have been missing shooting my 9mm Glock in 3 gun and steel matches...I dont have near the money for another SVI...Considering purchasing a STI Eagle 5.0 bushing barrel 9mm to start and upgrade parts/finish as I wear it out shooting the crap outta it...My questions to those with experience with this gun

1. I am assuming it shoots fairly flat with 9mm at 140 PFish...Any regrets going with this setup vs another? Is the accuracy with these factory STI bushing guns near what a gunsmith fit can achieve?

2. With a tungsten guide rod I am wondering if the bushing eagle would weigh about the same as the bull barreled edge if desired?

3. Any other advice on a gun setup for 3 gun and steel matches...Oak Hill has the 9mm Eagle already tri topped and with a Dawson front FO sight for a good cash price and I dont think it can be beat for what I am looking for...Enlighten me :cheers:

4. What is the best magazine option for this setup....I have considered ordering some tuned mags from Dawson in 9mm but having problems finding anyone who has done so and their experiences.

Thanks in advance

Jacob

Edited by BigBets

Need a little advice...After obtaining an SVI 40 cal limited gun it has become quite obvious what I have been missing shooting my 9mm Glock in 3 gun and steel matches...

Could just shoot your 9mm Glock in 3 Gun...

Need a little advice...After obtaining an SVI 40 cal limited gun it has become quite obvious what I have been missing shooting my 9mm Glock in 3 gun and steel matches...

Could just shoot your 9mm Glock in 3 Gun...

I suspect that he is implicitly looking for the mag capacity advantage that the 2011 double stack gives him, as well as the nicer trigger than the Glock.

An alternative is to go with a CZ or CZ clone (like EAA/Tanfoglio). With the appropriate base pads and magwell, you can get as light and crisp a trigger and equivalent or higher capacity as a 2011 for less than the price of a 2011.

Of course, all the cool kids are shooting 2011's, though, so if you have a gun go down, there won't be as many people to beg/borrow parts off during a match.

Edited by Skydiver

Why not use your SVI .40 cal for 3 gun? You can get 20 rounds in the mag which is only 2 or 3 rounds less than you will get with a 9mm. With a minor .40 load, recall is no more than a 9mm. Use what you have, it won't slow you down.

What does everyone recommend for 9mm mags in the STI...Hoping the Dawson tuned ones work well but looking for those with experience with them and the eagle

Thanks

Jacob

Brazo's are expensive, but I have never had a problem with them. On my second set of .40's. Never had 9mm from him.

Something else to think about with a 3 gun pistol is the external safety vs an internal safety such as the svi 2011 vs striker fired glock. I have heard guys have gotten disqualified after the stage is done and the guns are checked and sure enough the external safety was off. Can happen in the heat of the moment even if u put a gun slowly into a box. Just something to think about. I say shoot the glock with an extended mag.

I hear of that all the time too (on the forums), but I'd say get a properly fitted safety that isn't so loose, or dump the mag and rack/dump the round to be absolutely sure.

I have a G34 as well but I enjoy shooting my STI much more.

It's a risk I will take.

What does everyone recommend for 9mm mags in the STI...Hoping the Dawson tuned ones work well but looking for those with experience with them and the eagle

Thanks

Jacob

I have both STI and SV mags, all untuned, no spacers with a range of springs and followers and they all work fine in the 2 SV's and 2 STI's I own. All hold 22-23 easily. I suggest you start with stock mags and see how they work before switching parts and tuning.

I've seen the safety come off on at least 4 shooters, in person in the last 2 years. However, they were all what I would consider top tier competitors, moving pretty fast saving every fraction of a second possible. There are a large number that dump the mag and rack on 2011s. It is all a matter of what you are most comfortable with.

If you shoot a 2011 better than the Glock (and really, who dosen't) it is unlikely that you will end up slower with it even with dumping the mag and racking than struggling with a Glock.

I'm going to give my xdm 5.25 a shot in 3gun this year over my STI .40 and see how I like it. It's the only polymer gun I've been able to shoot as accurately as my STI so we'll have to see how it goes. If I don't like it, I'll be building a 2011 in 9mm for sure.

I shoot 40 in 3 gun and other disciplines. I found my 40 load has a softer recoil than my 9mm, allowing me quicker follow up shots. As for mag capacity, it's not a big issue. If I'm moving, I'm reloading, so for me, having 2-3 extra rounds isn't important as you normally don't have to fire more than 21 rounds from one shooting position.

Need a little advice...After obtaining an SVI 40 cal limited gun it has become quite obvious what I have been missing shooting my 9mm Glock in 3 gun and steel matches...I dont have near the money for another SVI...Considering purchasing a STI Eagle 5.0 bushing barrel 9mm to start and upgrade parts/finish as I wear it out shooting the crap outta it...My questions to those with experience with this gun

1. I am assuming it shoots fairly flat with 9mm at 140 PFish...Any regrets going with this setup vs another? Is the accuracy with these factory STI bushing guns near what a gunsmith fit can achieve?

2. With a tungsten guide rod I am wondering if the bushing eagle would weigh about the same as the bull barreled edge if desired?

3. Any other advice on a gun setup for 3 gun and steel matches...Oak Hill has the 9mm Eagle already tri topped and with a Dawson front FO sight for a good cash price and I dont think it can be beat for what I am looking for...Enlighten me :cheers:

4. What is the best magazine option for this setup....I have considered ordering some tuned mags from Dawson in 9mm but having problems finding anyone who has done so and their experiences.

Thanks in advance

Jacob

Jacob,

The clubs around the area I just moved from mainly held IDPA Matches. I was shooting a glock until I made the mistake of shooting my friend's Dawson Tuned Executive. I was hooked on the feel of the grip and that awesome trigger. My friend and I both ordered a Dawson Enhanced Bushing Barrel 9mm Eagle. My friend bought 4 126mm mags and I bought 4 126mm mags plus one 140mm mag. All nine mags have run flawless right out of the package. Both are one hole guns off a sandbag at 25yds. I have somewhere around 6000 - 8000 rounds through my eagle now and it has run flawlessly. Drawing out of kydex I had some bluing wear so I carried it back to Dawson and had it Hard Chromed. I've shot it in IDPA, Steel Challenge, NRA Action Pistol, and USPSA. My normal load is a MG 124gr JHP over 4.7gr of WSF @ about 130-132pf. I have run RWS, PMC, UMC, WWB, and Federal through the gun with out a single problem. I like the feel of a mag well so I cut down a STI Stainless Mag Well so it would fit in the IDPA Box. I changed the guide rod to a Dawson just because I liked how my friends looked. That's the only thing I've done to the gun besides cleaning and soaking it with FP-10. Now i've moved to NC and it seems like all the matches close to me are USPSA. One of my friends I shoot here in NC suggested that I sell my Eagle to get a 40 so i'll score major. I just couldn't bear the thought of selling the Eagle. I'm just going to wait a little while and order an 40 cal. Edge from Dave. If I had it to do over again I wouldn't change a thing about my Eagle. I'm going to order a couple more 140mm mags and some Dawson +1 basepads so they are easier to clean and reload. The 126mm mags are easy to reload in the mag well with 10rds loaded(IDPA ESP limit), but you have to make sure you push them in hard when loaded to 18rds. The 140mm mags stick out of the mag well and reload easier when full.

I'm not a Grand Master or 3 Gun shooter but that has been my experience with the Dawson 9mm Eagles. I would recommend you order your Eagle from Dawson and get the gun Tuned. It's well worth the money in my opinion to get the gun tuned by Dave and I have yet to feel a better trigger on a 2011. I would recommend you just buy some factory mags and don't fix what's not broken. The nine mags my friend and I have run great without any tuning.

Here is some video of the Eagle being enjoyed last weekend.

Edit: How many posts are required to post a link to youtube?

Charles

Edited by CJcycles