Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice for first RO class?

First off, I have no idea where to post this so here it is. Second, yes I did a search but my search foo is appearantly too weak (as usual). I am attending an RO class next month and wonder what to expect, what to take with me, and how to prepare. I have been shooting USPSA for about 8 months, 1 or 2 matches a month, but just recently joined so am not yet classified. I have designed and set up a few stages and have been handling the score sheet the last few months so have a basic understanding of setting up and running a stage/match. I appreciate all replies but “bring a good attitude” is a given and not really helpful advice. I have a good attitude toward the sport, competing, and learning, that is why I am taking the class! I am looking for more concrete advice like; “a half dozen 3X5 cards are nice”, or “wish I had taken a high lighter”, “actually reading the rule book before attending is good”, etc. Thanks!

If you have the opportunity to attend a match prior to your RO class: Pick out a well respected RO, squad with them and observe them very carefully. Scan the rule book a couple of times. Get a good night sleep prior to the class. Everything you need for the class will be provided. Relax, it's a fun class. :cheers:

There's nothing to it. Some time spent reading the rulebook will help, as will reviewing the USPSA rules forum here or NROI rulings on the USPSA website, but as long as you stay awake, pay attention, and make a reasonable effort, the class is a pretty quick and easy day and a half.

It sounds like you have already heard generic advice ... being familiar with the rulebook is probably the best advice. Read it cover to cover and know what's in the major sections so you know where to look. You will find that a consistent theme during the class is looking up rules.

Just took a RO class this past weekend. They give you a class book where you can write your notes in and you can take a notebook to write additional info on. If you have bad eyesight, make sure you have glasses...the material will most likely be displayed on a projector screen or TV depending on your host facilities. heck, the instructor even gave us some pens to keep. So bottom line, stay awake, follow the material, and have a good time. Nothing to it. The test/exam is open book and taken after the class when you get home at your convenience. So testing is not done there. Don't sweat it.

A piece of advice for the test, which you take at home after the class: use the PDF of the rulebook. Being able to search makes it go much faster than using the paper rulebook. If you have a smartphone or tablet, get it set up with the PDF rulebook.

Bring an unmarked copy of the rulebook, a pen and a highlighter. That way you can highlight important words or phrases, and write notes in the margin, for later reference...

Resist the urge to highlight the entirety of every rule....

A notepad could be useful. So could snacks and drinks....

If you are not sure about something the instructor says, ask.

This, plus, if you've read the rule book and don't understand something, ask about that too.

If it's unclear to you, it may be unclear to the rest of the class, and they'll appreciate someone bringing it up.

And, if a question pops up after it's all over, email your instructor - they'd much rather clarify something before it becomes an issue in an actual match setting.

Food and water... comfortable clothing for the environment you will be in... I wish I had had a highlighter, I had to use a pen to underline important points.

I'd also add: buddy up with the person in your local club who is the match director, CRO, stage designer, etc... Become a part of the set up crew. Pick that person's brain as to how/why they designed the course they did... It is like looking at a rule book, in reverse. An awesome stage designer HAS to know the rule book inside and out, and the knowledge they can pass on to you in invaluable!