Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Follower sticking in magazine

mindcrime

I have had this happen twice to me and I saw it happen to another shooter once. The magazine follower (new #9 followers in all and 3 seperate mags) got stuck on the release cuts as it fed the rounds up to the top of the mag and obviously failed to feed the rounds. After clearing the rounds out the mags continued to work perfectly after that and the condition could not be replicated in any of the mags. Ammo was all factory and I checked the lenghts. And the follower was definitely stuck not the ammo. Has anyone else had this happen?

You mean had it happen where one had to drop out of a major match? Sure, that would be me. :(

This was a chronic problem for me in both my 9FS and 9Pro. The issue is the mag catch in the frame is extending too far into the mag tube and is catching on the plastic mag follower. I am left handed so I have my mag release on the right side of the gun. For some reason with the release reversed the catch extends sligthly more than when in the 'normal' position.

Do this: remove the slide and take the spring and follower out of a mag. Put the base pad back on the mag and insert the mag into the frame. Look into the mag from the top and note how far the catch extends into the mag tube. Ideally it want to be a few thousands more than flush with the inside wall. In my case it was extending .050" or better. Very obvious the follower would catch on it.

I ordered replacement mag releases from SSS ($4 ea). Those extended less the originals and may have solved the problem. But to be sure I ground the steel tab on the release down further. I say ground down but the tab is a hardened steal and it was difficult to remove material.

I also removed a bit of material from the followers. Again, left hand release so the tab was catching on the right side of the follower as viewed from the front. This corner of the follower is longer and has a molding sprue. I removed only enough plastic to make the sprue less pronounced then polished it up.

About a thousand rounds through the gun now and have not had the problem since.

this happened to me also a brand new m&p 9mm 5" pro series. the first time i shot it both mags malfunctioned due to the followers getting hung up on the cut out in the magazine for the release. it happened with three brands of ammo. so i know it wasn't reloads i emailed S&W but have not heard any thing yet. i am very disapointed, is this a common problem?