Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small Primer 45 Loads

pastorjohnd

I just got a 45 and started stock piling 45sp brass I did this thinking I wouldn't have to change the primer setup on the 550. I am going to be using cci 6.8 powder pistol pushing 230 fp. This weekend my father came into town and wanted 44 mags made. So much for not changing primer system.

• 7 months later...

There is a large advantage to the small primer 45 when using 625 revolvers. If any of you are S&W 625 revolver shooters and use them in competition, there is a large advantage to the small primer 45 brass. I have collected a lot of small primer brass over the past two years and just kept it with the intention of using it at some point. I shoot both at 686 and a 625 in competition. After doing a complete trigger job on both guns, with Jerry Mikulek's help, I was able to have a smooth 6 pound trigger pull on both revolvers. The 686 ignited the primers consistently and reliably every time but the 625 required an 8 pound pull to be consistent and reliable. It dawned on me that the small primer might just be the difference so I loaded up a bunch of 45 with the small primer and set the trigger pull to 6 pounds. It works great so I am now looking to collect more small primer 45 brass for revolver shooting.

Paul