Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on scopes $400-$500 range?

dskinsler83

• 2 weeks later...

The Super Sniper 10x42 is an awesome scope for the $299.00 price tag. It was the easiest scope I ever zeroed. Tracks very well to out too 600 yards. (thats all the farther i have shot it so far) The next price range up i believe is the Vortex Viper.

• 3 weeks later...

Super Sniper just announced they're coming out with a mil/mil version, it would be highly recommended if you can use a fixed power. I just sold a mil/moa 10x, I've shot it in tactical competitions to past 1100 and didn't feel handicapped by magnification, but if you're doing a dedicated F/TR scope you might want a 16x or 20x. I traded a 16x for my 10x and preferred the 10x.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-MRAD-Scopes-C4225.aspx

I just ordered a 3.5-10x Burris MTAC but haven't received it so I can't comment. It's in your price range.

http://swfa.com/Burris-35-10x42-MTAC-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P53422.aspx

I think those are going to be your best bets for under $500. Otherwise look for something with a 30mm tube and mil knobs, a mil reticle with moa knobs isn't ideal.

Edited by Red_SC

The super sniper scopes are very simple and reliable. Iv used two different 10x tubes out to 800yds. They track 100% and other than Japanese glass and fixed power there pretty good.

+1! I have 2 10x42. One on my LR 308 and one on my Savage 110 30-06.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a Weaver 3-15 Tactical. MOA/MIL good scope tracks well. I've run it out to 800 did a great job. I've also, looked through a Viper PST and kind of wish I'd gotten that scope for the same money, it has really clear hash-mark's instead of dots (EDMR reticle) and the zero-stops are really nice. They run in the $700 range. I'd say the glass on both of these scopes are very close to what you find the in the Leupy Mark 4's.

Another question regarding the Viper HS LR series. I'm looking at the 4-16x44. The elevation is in 1/2 MOA clicks and the windage is in 1/4 MOA clicks. Is there an advantage to this? I guess you get 24 MOA for a full rotation of the elevation knob. That's good. But would there be confusion or annoyance when adjusting the windage knob? Or is the idea to dial the elevation and hold right or left for wind/moving target based on the MOA marks at 2, 4, 6, and 8 MOA?

• 1 month later...

I would have to say Vortex. I've had the Crossfire on a handful of my smallbore .22's and .17's but the Viper series will do you well and you can get a LOT of bang for the buck for the money. A used Leupold or Nikon Monarch may work out for you as well. I'm also a huge Nikon fan. I like their glass color, clarity, and reticles.

• 1 month later...

Super Sniper just announced they're coming out with a mil/mil version, it would be highly recommended if you can use a fixed power. I just sold a mil/moa 10x, I've shot it in tactical competitions to past 1100 and didn't feel handicapped by magnification, but if you're doing a dedicated F/TR scope you might want a 16x or 20x. I traded a 16x for my 10x and preferred the 10x.

At the suggestion of several people with more experience than I will ever have, I bought a 10x MRAD adjustment SWFA SS Scope for $299 for my Remington 700 5R / AICS Build. I've been very happy with it, but I have hardly put it through it's paces yet.

My only comment is something another shooter pointed out to me when laying behind my rifle. He mentioned that the SWFA had a very unforgiving eye relief - that there was a very narrow window of eye relief that worked. He said his Leupold had a range of several inches where you could lay behind the gun, but the SWFA you had to the spot on. Anyone heard this before? I honestly don't have the experience to have an opinion on this, but I definitely do work pretty hard to get comfortable behind it. But unless someone wants to loan me a Schmidt & Bender to compare it to, it's the only data point I really have!

He mentioned that the SWFA had a very unforgiving eye relief

I have not heard this about that particular scope, but it's possible. In any case, since it is a fixed power scope, that should not be a problem. Having a consistent cheek weld and head position is possibly the second most important thing in precision shooting (trigger control is # 1). Once you find the head position that works best for you, then you can adjust the scope position. And you may have to adjust things a few times before you find the right position.

I am currently running the BSA Tactical from Midway w/ 1/4" moa target turrets that is 6-24x44 30mm main tube in Burris tac low rings on a savage M10 Precision w/ fluted 5R 20" barrel. I am looking at getting into longer than 600yrd shooting and maybe F-T/R. Looking at the B&C Medalist stock w/ Karsten's cheek piece added. Looking into maybe the Millet TRS-1 scope but i deff can not afford the nightforce stuff or those $1000 scopes i just cant guys. The BSA scope is working suprisingly well and is actually fairly clear! it even suprised the guys at a local custom gun shop that shoot long range in knoxville. Anyways any more thoughts on this from you budget guys??

If your only shooting F t/r I would say you can probably get away with a single power weaver scope. I know a couple people that use them in F T/R. Like a 32 power fixed. If your looking for a variable power for practical and FTR I don't have any great suggestions at that price range. I am also not a fan of bell and carlson stocks. Sightron SIII 6-24x 50mm if you can swing it is a great scope for FTR/ practical. For the stock I would suggest a McMillan MBR. Keep in mind if you start shooting F T/R at 1000, then you will need optic with about 45 power for better long range resolution to see the target to get the tight groups.. lol

1000 yard target at 45 power...

f-class_targets_45x.jpg

Hope this helps.

Edited by usmc0326

You are wasting money. Just shoot irons until you get the money to buy a scope. The glass, the rain, the humidity, the glare, the purity of depth, the ability to check mirage, the mounts, the covers, the resistance to zero movement, the reticle. This is what costs money.

• 2 weeks later...

Ding, ding!! USMC0326 nailed it. For F/TR, F-Class or any type of benchrest competition power is your friend. To be competitive you will want to see your hits. If you want to get into it and not break the bank look for a quality used high power fixed scope. I've seen really good deals come and go on Weaver T-36, Sightron 36x and Leupold 35x or 45x scopes. If you want to take the next step up the Sightron SIII 10-50x60 can be had used for around $800 and is going to be really tough to beat for the money. You won't see many (if any) fixed 10x scopes on the line. The high powered variables are nice as it allows you to turn down the power to lessen mirage if it's being nasty. The classifieds on accurateshooter.com (originally 6mmBr.com) is a great place to look for used optics and gear. With a little patience you can find smoking deals on eBay from time to time too. I think I've bought 4 Sightron scopes and a Leupold Competition 45x off eBay for less than half of market value. I kind of got out of long range and precision shooting competition when I started shooting 3-gun, but I imagine I'll slide back into it someday when I'm to old and crippled to run. Good luck with your pursuit :cheers:

Chris

Edited by Shooter115

• 5 weeks later...

I use a storebrand called Clearidge (it won't let me link so google it) on my .308 F class rifle and it works fine out to 800 yards with a 10 MOA base. I have compared the glass to some $3K scopes and to my old eyes I can't see any difference. It is without a doubt the best sub 500 dollar scope I have ever owned and I have used it on two different rifles for about three years now. It holds zero between sessions but I did notice some discrepancy when I did a MOA test on it. No biggie for F Class shooting where I am always shooting the same load at the same range but if I was a hunter using it at various ranges I would do an MOA workup test and have a laminated cheat sheet in my pocket.

Last year I put a Mueller Eradicator on my .204 Ruger project and have shot it out 600. Holds zero but the glass leaves something to be desired. I never did a MOA workup on it so I can't comment on that. Turret clicks are nice and positive. It's also pretty picky about eye relief also but all I really use it for is 200 yard training and it is always shot from prone so it serves it's intended purpose. I have to admit though I am think of moving it to a .22 bolt gun and replacing it with better glass down the road. Probably a T-36 Weaver.

Just my opinion but there is a point of diminishing returns when buying a scope for target shooting. I just want the glass to be clear and it for it to hold zero, a forgiving eye relief is a bonus. For hunting I recommend buying the best you can afford for the durability factor.

BTW on the power the higher the magnification the worse the mirage will affect it, cheap glass just makes it worse. On the really hot days I dial my power down to around 10 -15. I can't see .30 inch hole on a target 800 yards away with anything less than the Hubble telescope

Edited by hounddawg

• 3 weeks later...

Scopes don't help you shoot better ...they help you SEE better.

Want to see your shot holes? Buy an inexpensive spotting scope through JARHEADTOP hes got a great deal on spotting scopes where he'll buy it back from you if you ever decide to sell it.

If you get a scope with 45X magnification I guarantee you won't like trying to shoot it on that magnification setting.

Guys have trouble shooting a 20X magnification scope due to all the movement you see that is magnified by the higher power setting.

Saw a guy years ago show up to the range and shoot his iron sight rifle with a smoking hole group better than the entire line of snipers with their scopes cranked up as high as they will go.

Scopes don't help you shoot better they help you see better.

• 3 months later...