Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on scopes $400-$500 range?

dskinsler83

I am currently running the BSA Tactical from Midway w/ 1/4" moa target turrets that is 6-24x44 30mm main tube in Burris tac low rings on a savage M10 Precision w/ fluted 5R 20" barrel. I am looking at getting into longer than 600yrd shooting and maybe F-T/R. Looking at the B&C Medalist stock w/ Karsten's cheek piece added. Looking into maybe the Millet TRS-1 scope but i deff can not afford the nightforce stuff or those $1000 scopes i just cant guys. The BSA scope is working suprisingly well and is actually fairly clear! it even suprised the guys at a local custom gun shop that shoot long range in knoxville. Anyways any more thoughts on this from you budget guys??

I would skip the Millitt. I have a buddy that has one and it looks like you're looking through plastic lenses. Wait for the new Vortex Viper HS LR to come out. It'll be in the $500+ range. Vortex makes pretty good stuff for the price and they have a no fault warrantee.

Good luck, it's a tough price range to get into. I would skimp somewhere else and get a better optic if you can. I'm getting out of long range because of the money issue. It's just too expensive. I rather just keep to 3-Gun and call it good.

I have a couple of Nightforce scopes on some 308 rifles. I prefer them. I took a Savage 223 model 12 with a 26" barrel on trade early last year. It came with a Bushnell Legend 5x15 mil dot scope. For the cost it has really good glass. I can make hits with the gun to 800 yds. I used mil dots for holds. I did not try to dial in with it. I am not a fan of BSA or Bushnell. If it's what you can afford they will work. The Millett scopes I have tried were not very good in terms of glass or tracking. I did put a vortex on a deer rifle that seems to be very well built. I would go with Vortex before something else in that price range. You might also look at the Horus scopes. I have a blackbird on order for 3 gun and a Hawk for a bolt gun. The Hawk is showing only $550. If you need a number let me know a local guy is a rep and may be able to get a better deal.

Mike

I really havnt tried the BSA out past 600 but it seems to track well it has a big lack in elevation adjustment but i put a 20ma rail on my rifle. I can hit steel but have never tried to shoot groups per say out that far. I shoot sub moa easily with the set up right now. The rifle has the Accu stock not sure a stock upgrade is really needed other than cause i want it lol.

well see that is just it. as of now i know i want the stock upgrade. I shoot at my local range just me and a buddy for fun. so what i have works ok. i do not know if i will even like competion long range at this point as i have never shot it. just looking for advice. but i know for sure i can not spend the thousands of bucks on a scope.

I shot for several years with a Bushnell Elite 3200 that I bought for $350. It's still going strong on my HK91. Pretty good glass for the money and a lifetime warranty with enough elevation to get out to about 500 yards with my .308. I like it a little better than the Buckmaster that it replaced which is also a good scope in that price range. I don't know if Bushnell still offers a 3200 in that price range but it's worth looking into. The SS scopes are also a pretty good value in that price range. Most of these will only get you about 40 MOA of elevation so if you are shooting to 600 you may be able stick a sloped base under it. The Bushnell Elites have a pretty good following so I suspect that if you want to sell it later you will be able to recover most of your money. Before I scraped up enough pennies for a NF, I did matches with a Elite 4200 Tactical. I bought it LNIB for $575 and sold it two years later for $525.

Edited by Dirty Rod

I've had two Millets. The first one I bought, and the second one was a factory replacement for the first one which also ended up going back for a refund of my money. Neither tracked and the glass was poor at best. They had good features they just didn't work. When I was in college and poor I tried every cheap scope on the market thinking that something in the $300-$500 range would work for long range shooting. They did for a little while and would then break or have other problems. Since then I've have had just about every brand of scope out there at one time or another and I think for the money you can't beat a Sightron SIII for a long range target or F/TR scope. You can buy them brand new for $750.00 with your choice of mil/mil or moa/moa reticle and target turrets that are excellent. I run a Zeiss on my hunting rifle and it's a good (my favorite) long range hunting scope but It's not designed for shooting F/TR. Nightforce is one of the best if not the best long range target scope and I have no complaints with mine but they are expensive. The glass in my Sightron is right there with the Nightforce and it tracks just as well. I used a Sightron 8-32x56 over my Nightforce on my F open rifle and it worked excellent. The Sightron is not built nearly as heavy as the Nightforce and I'm sure would not stand up to the abuse but in F/TR matches you don't jump out of helicopters so it should do fine. I really like the features my Vortex has and for the money it's a good scope, however the glass isn't as good as the Sightron. If you want tacticool features at a good price point (illumination, zero stop, FFP, etc) then the Vortex is tough to beat. If you want a solid target scope then for the money you can't beat the new Sightron SIII's.

My experience is that you don't have to spend the money on a Nightforce but if you want to be a serious long range shooter you have to get out of the bottom end scopes that weren't really designed for having the turrets turned hundreds of times. Thats my 2 cents. Sorry if I ranted.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-20x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P502.aspx

This is an outstanding scope for the money. Well suited to F class or even putting your toe in the water bench rest. Also holds it's value well if you ever step up to something better.

Kevin

A big +1

The Super Sniper scopes are hands down the best glass in your price range. It is a durable well built scope that will serve you very well. If you should decide to start saving for a more expensive scope with more features it is a great way to get glass on the rifle and begin learning. Then when you decide to move up you can usually get upwards of 80% of your investment back on these scopes.

Really can't say enough good about these scopes given their performance/dollar.

• 1 month later...

Super Snipers, Bushnell Elite, Burris MTAC. I've used the first two and have looked through the new MTACs. Have a 4.5-14 MTAC on the way. The MTAC is going to run out of your price range, but if you want a variable, it is a heck of a buy!