Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL 650 vs 1050

Got Juice?

Ok, so with money as no object here, and being that the time I can spend reloading is very very small, and wanting to shoot and practice more, I have decided that I need a new Dillon reloader, one that is faster than my 550. I am picky with my ammo, and even having everything available, I tend to only see 350-400 rounds per hour.

So the choice is either a 650 or a 1050.

I was leaning towards a 650 but after reading about the 650 KABOOMS It worries me.

I also had the pleasure of loading on a friends 650, and after 200 rounds, I had a KABOOM with it.

So it makes me a little gunshy at the 650.

It's not like I have unlimited funds, but from a safety standpoint, I would rather keep my hearing intact.

So, what say you? Is the priming system on the 1050 as safe as the 550? I have never had a kaboom with my 550, nor anyone else I know who uses one.

But EVERYONE I know with a 650 gets at leas one a year.

Will the Super 1050 be the answer?

How did you get a KABOOM with the 650? Were you slamming the lever forward to push the primer into the pocket?

What primers were you using? I'm going to guess Federal, but I'm curious.

Edited by Skydiver

Ive been using a 650 for 5, years or more & have never had a kaboom. I hammered one primer once, my own fault & blew it up but it would have been the same no matter what i was using. Im sure 1050 is faster but have never loaded on one. Safer? I dont know.

CCI Small pistol PRimers, and no, I was not being 'rammy' on the machine. Primer went into the disc sideways. Leads me to believe this particular press needs a pin alignment done. But, be that as it may, I like to wear eyes and ears at the range, while reloading, I always wear my eyes, but this episode kinda freaked me out!

Bil 'ol vote for the 1050. I bought a 650 about a year ago, an upgrade from a single stage press and was AMAZED I had not gone progressive sooner. Then about 6 months ago, I bought a 1050, and was AMAZED I had not gone to a 1050 sooner. The 1050 is just that little bit faster, but the ammo I see come out of it is much more consistent too. Priming cases on the downstroke is a huge help in speed and consistency. Don't get me wrong, I love my 650, but if you have the choice between the 1050 and 650, go with the 1050. Caliber conversions and toolheads are certainly more expensive on the 1050, but since you already have a 550 you can just buy conversions and toolheads for the calibers you load most.

I have had two 650's and still have one, I also have two 1050's. I have never had a primer go off on a 650 but have had a full kaboom on one of the 1050's. Luckily it only had about 20 primers in it when it happened. That said, it can happen it just about any press it is just a little more likely in some. As it happened it was caused by a shoulder bolt having backed out on the priming rocker in the priming system that caused it on the 1050. Either press would do you well.

Brian

I've had both 650's and 1050's, had several primers get smooshed in the 1050 priming system. They seem to require more cleaning than I like to do. I load 30k rounds on a 650 before doing any major cleaning. I have 650's, only see about 100 rounds/hour less than the 1050 but can almost have 2 650's for the price of a 1050. Either will be a great choice. If you shoot 38 Super go with the 1050.

This is starting to slant me a little more to the 1050. Good comments.

I plan to use the 1050 strictly for .40 and keep the rl550b for 357SIG .204 Ruger .270win and 38 super auto

Any other thoughts, feel free to comment

I plan to use the 1050 strictly for .40 and keep the rl550b for 357SIG .204 Ruger .270win and 38 super auto

This may seem trivial to some but don't forget the warranty differences.

If you have a 1050 set up for .40, you might as well spring for the second toolhead for .357 Sig.

I have had my 650 for over 2years without any issues. I would go 1050 if you really want it and can afford it but the 650 cranks out a ton of ammo fast. For me the warranty was an issue and that is why I went with the 650. Dillon has done right by me for my old SDB for over 16 years without a question. I already used the warranty for a lost spring and bearing on the 650.

Brian

First the only presses that I use anymore are an RL1050 and about once a year a single stage RCBS rock chucker.

In the OP you talked about time but not about the number of different calibers and loads. If you only shoot one calibers then the 1050 is definitely the way to go.

If you shoot more than two calibers regularly then the 650 is a better option.

The difference is the change over time. Even with regular practice it takes me 40 minutes to change the 1050. The 650 is reported to be much faster.

In both cases the primer change over is the most difficult part. I know two high volume loaders that have two 650's one for large and one for small primers.

There is several good articles on Brian's site that talk more in detail about these issues. I would also highly recommend talking to Brian right before you place your order with him.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

George

all boils down to 2 things;

money no object = 1050

able to run any round on a budget = 650

Primers will explode in either, I've had 2 ina 1050 and 1 ina 650. it will happen anytime to anyone on either machine.

empty tool heads for the 1050 are nearly $200 :surprise: for the 650, around $25.

deswaging on the 1050 is great IF you run a lot of mil brass, if you don't get the 650.

either machine will do mass runs well.

do you want the lifetime warranty? get the 650.

comparing time spent changing primer size isn't really worth it, they both are easy.

jj

I have both and loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds on them over the years and never had a primer go off. I feel the primer going into the pocket or I stop applying pressure and fix the problem. If you force things, you wind up starting a kaboom thread at some point.

The main problem with the 1050 is that it uses the same plastic tip on the primer mag as the SD, if you have primer problems they are likely caused by this part. However, the 1050 also primes on the down stroke so the force required for resizing and the rest of the operations masks how much you are putting on the primer. Seems to me this setup would be more likely (if you removed the primer swage) set off a primer.

Ok, so with money as no object here, and being that the time I can spend reloading is very very small, and wanting to shoot and practice more, I have decided that I need a new Dillon reloader, one that is faster than my 550. I am picky with my ammo, and even having everything available, I tend to only see 350-400 rounds per hour.

I was leaning towards a 650 but after reading about the 650 KABOOMS It worries me.

I also had the pleasure of loading on a friends 650, and after 200 rounds, I had a KABOOM with it.

It's not like I have unlimited funds, but from a safety standpoint, I would rather keep my hearing intact.

So, what say you? Is the priming system on the 1050 as safe as the 550? I have never had a kaboom with my 550, nor anyone else I know who uses one.

We already talked about this ... Just get the 1050 and be done with it already. :roflol:

We already talked about this ... Just get the 1050 and be done with it already. :roflol:

lol,darnit Steve, i was not second guessing you, i was second guessing me!