Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dummy shell lifespan?

Bill Schwab

My Remington 1100 chews up the rim of the dummie shells rather quickly to the point that the shells will not reliably feed. I'm trying to practice my reloads for 10 minutes a day. I've tried both the dummy shells and the aluminum snap caps. Is this typical? If so, do you just bite the bullet and buy new dummies once a month?

Just an idea - Do you have access to a reloader? You could pop the primer, put a couple cotton balls in (2-3? just enough to support the wad base), seat the wad, add shot, crimp, and then jam a pencil eraser in the primer hole and trim it off. I've done that when I was learning the tecloader. You could make a box full and reuse the shot and maybe the wads if they weren't crushed after the hull's rims wear out.

So far I'm having good luck with the Remington Dummies from Brownellls. They are showing to be much more durable than anything else I have tried.

+1 and my 1100 was a lot rougher on the shells than my Benelli M2.

So far I'm having good luck with the Remington Dummies from Brownellls. They are showing to be much more durable than anything else I have tried.

I've went through the Brownells catalog with a fine-toothed comb, and searched their website without success. Also checked Midway and Remington's website and can't find them there. Help?

With the 1100 you need to slow down the shell that's exiting the mag tube. If you don't, the shell in front of the shell exiting the mag tube will hit the latch at full force and will usually put a dent on the rim.

The latch on the 1100 is relatively small (when compared to a Benelli). The same amount of force on a smaller surface area results in the 1100 eating up shell rims faster than a Benelli.

When I used to run an 1100 I unloaded with my fingers in the ejection port --- I pull the bolt handle partly out, insert my fingers through the ejection port and then fully retract the bolt. The shell that is comming out of the mag tube will hit my fingers as it comes out. It prevents the shells from hitting the latch at full force.

I've went through the Brownells catalog with a fine-toothed comb, and searched their website without success. Also checked Midway and Remington's website and can't find them there. Help?

Do a search for DUMMY

no joke!

Here they are

With the 1100 you need to slow down the shell that's exiting the mag tube. If you don't, the shell in front of the shell exiting the mag tube will hit the latch at full force and will usually put a dent on the rim.

The latch on the 1100 is relatively small (when compared to a Benelli). The same amount of force on a smaller surface area results in the 1100 eating up shell rims faster than a Benelli.

When I used to run an 1100 I unloaded with my fingers in the ejection port --- I pull the bolt handle partly out, insert my fingers through the ejection port and then fully retract the bolt. The shell that is comming out of the mag tube will hit my fingers as it comes out. It prevents the shells from hitting the latch at full force.

Good stuff, thanks for the info.

Do a search for DUMMY

no joke!

Thanks, I'm unsure how I missed them previously.

I use used hulls, fill with construction adhesive and a couple of .45 slugs. You don't need a reloaded, just push the open end in with your finger and finish filling flush with construction adhesive. I leave the spent primes in place, not using them to dry fire just loading practice. Been using the original 10 I made over a year ago from wall mart bulk in my Mossberg 930. Brass may last longer and even if you replaced them once a month they are way cheaper.

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401