Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking to Improve

Lee G

Video from a local match. I came in 2nd C Class. I've been shooting competitively for about a little over a year. My goal is to make B by the end of this year. Looking for any helpful advice or comments.

thanks

Looking good! I couldn't shoot nearly that well after my first year...

A few things you might want to think about. Try to eliminate as much movement as possible on your draws. Right now, your body tenses and crouches on the draw (more obvious on the stage 3 video), when only your arms should be moving. You can practice this in front of a mirror. Stick a piece of tape or pick a reference point in the mirror that's close to your head. Now watch yourself when you draw - your head shouldn't move from that point. Try to bring the gun straight up out of the holster into your line of sight, then push out (kind of like an inverted "L"). This will allow you to get your eyes on your sights as quickly as possible, so you have more time to align them while pushing the gun out.

Try keeping the gun up higher when you're moving. Dropping it down to chest level when you move means you need to hoist it up again when you want to shoot. Eliminating this up/down movement will save you time on every position. You can also experiment with keeping the gun up in front of your face during reloads. This not only eliminates that same up/down movement, but also allows you to keep your head up and your targets in view while reloading - so you don't have to look down at the gun to insert the magazine, then back up again to find your target. The more you can see, the faster you can shoot.

You look like a pretty big guy, and it's hard for us big guys to get moving. I found that the drop-step technique helps me to get going much faster (I could stand to lose a few pounds, but that's another story). Jake has a good video tutorial here:

Try it and see if it works for you.

How are your hits? The common advice is to try to get 90-95% of available points on a stage, but I've always found it too hard to count points while I'm shooting a stage. I just try to get all As, and let the occasional C slide. Gotta make up Ds though - Ds are bad, m'kay?

Hope that helps... Good luck and keep at it! You'll make B before you know it.

Edited by mudman

I just got Mike Seeklander's DVDs. I got to tell, this is an incredible sound training program. We do not have a GM in our area so getting sound advice is pretty hard to come by, Mike's DVDs fill that gap. I know he makes himself available to shooters for advice, etc. You might give him a call.

Thanks for the advise, that gives me a lot to work on before the next match. Last month I really worked on moving and shooting. I think for this one I'm really going to focus on my draw and moving with the gun up. One of the masters at the steel challenge match the other day really helped me clean up my draw a good bit, now I just have to practice enough to where it's perfunctory. My hits are kind of toeing the line a bit, I had 88% of the points on the first stage and 90% on the second.

You look like a pretty big guy

I really appreciate the advice, but did you just call me fat? :blink: It's not my fault, my wife keeps feeding me.

Edited by Lee G

I really appreciate the advice, but did you just call me fat? :blink: It's not my fault, my wife keeps feeding me.

I think I've been living in Hong Kong too long... I'm starting to lose my grasp of English!

I meant "big" as in muscular (not - what's the PC term nowadays? "gravitationally gifted"?). But the only time another man called me "muscular" :surprise: it creeped me out for weeks. Just trying to spare you from the same discomfort.

My wife used to feed me... Now all I get is "Don't you think you've had enough?"