Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uncle Freds Funeral

TwoShot

My 87 year old Uncle Fred passed away last week and the family decided to have the visitation and funeral service after the New Years Holiday this past Tuesday. To say that Uncle Fred was "colorful and more than a bit "crusty", would be an understatement. I spent most of my childhood being terrified of him. The priest who gave his eulogy talked about the first time they met. Father said he had just been transferred to the parish and if fact was still unpacking when the church secretary said there was someone who wished to see him. Uncle Fred gave him a piece of paper bearing the words of a song and asked if he could have this played at his funeral. Father replied that it shouldn't be a problem. Uncle Fred said "Dammit Father I'm an old man, hell I could keel over tomorrow. We all knew that the priest had our relative pegged pretty well. At the end of the service, Father said "Dammit Fred, rest in peace! As an adult learned that my fear of Uncle Fred was misplaced, he had a very crusty heart of gold!

OK, Fred's was one of those guys that was rather colorful with his language, even when speaking with the new parish priest. That could be off-putting to a lot of people but the priest understood and took it in stride. So, at the end of the funeral, the priest said what Fred would have said had he been standing there - "Dammit Fred, rest in peace". Fred could not have asked for a better epitaph.

OK, Fred's was one of those guys that was rather colorful with his language, even when speaking with the new parish priest. That could be off-putting to a lot of people but the priest understood and took it in stride. So, at the end of the funeral, the priest said what Fred would have said had he been standing there - "Dammit Fred, rest in peace". Fred could not have asked for a better epitaph.

That's kinda what I figured to begin with...no offense to the OP but I guess it just wasn't that funny. :wub:

That's kinda what I figured to begin with...no offense to the OP but I guess it just wasn't that funny. :wub:

That S/B, "Dammit OP, that just wasn't funny." ;)

It is the way that 'Fred' (not his real name and not associated with this story) would have liked it. Too bad that someone else got in the way and 'Fred' didn't get what he deserved. I understand this entirely.

Edited by Jim Norman

Now I get it! It's a Fredism. My favorite Fredism was Startrek's "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not a bricklayer!"

Anyone else have a favorite Fredism?

• 2 weeks later...

Everyones Dad at one point in their lives working under the family car:

" hand me the thing.....no not that one...the other thing....the thing to the right of that stuff....No! Not THAT stuff...the other stuff....oh forget it I'll get it myself "

Kid goes inside and his mom asks him "Whats the matter? WHy aren't you out there helping your father?"

"He sent me inside."

"WHy?"

"'cos I couldn't find the thing he wanted."

"Thing? What thing?"

"The thing next to the stuff."

"WHat stuff?"

Kid looks up and says "Don't you *&^*&^#* start with me mom."