Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stance for weak hand shooting

KungFuNerd

I haven't worked on this much.

Dropping my left foot back when shooting left handed gave me a nice "Kickstand" when I wanted to stay more Square.

My weak hand recoil control with 1911 .45 230gr SUCKS.

Tips?

I run major 45, and the recoil is tough weak hand. You could work out so you have no weak hands :sight:

I'm righty, so left is my weak. I put my left foot forward just a bit, and bring my right fist up against my left shoulder where it meets the chest (Pec minor area) for support. I also try to lean a bit forward. One other trick that really helps is to cant the gun in about 15 degrees towards your midline. I'm not talking about a "Gangsta Grip", but just in so the recoil goes towards your center of gravity and not out and away. By doing this I can shoot weak hand faster and more accurately than I can shoot 9mm weak without those tricks.

I teach both work and competition related firearms skills and encourage an aggressive support foot forward stance, knees bent, upper body forward position for everything. I encourage shooters to not change their body position when switching from a freestyle, strong or support grip. Statistically we shoot freestyle moreover anything else so the aggressive stance we use has been developed over time and we are used to it. Changing a position that is otherwise solid when you switch to a strong or weak hand only requirment translates to time on the clock that could be detrimental to an overall time that has an impact practically and tactically. I keep my body and feet position the same no matter the grip requirement whenever possible.

Slightly canting the gun like has been suggested serves to put a little more muscle and mass above the gun to offset the natural open part of the grip when supported with only one hand, it is not the end all be all for everyone but it is an acceptable practice. Grip strength exercises also help to offset the effects we suffer with a one hand grip.

I also try and focus more on the accuracy part of shooting one hand then I do on the recoil control part of shooting one hand if that makes sense. More important to me what happens before the shot then what happens after the shot. Of course a perfect support hand shot is worth nothing if the gun flies out of your hand and you don't get to have a second shot... so they do work hand in hand.

I try to "punch" the gun out when taking that "aggressive" stance Jim was talking about. And if it's possible I try to make my target transitions go in the direction of that natural punching motion...for left side weak hand that would be transitions that ran left to right. And the converse for strong hand shooting.

Edited by gino_aki

I agree with most of the previous statements. Focus on accuracy first and foremost. I don't change anything with my feet or cant of the gun. I approach WHO like this. I am not left handed and so the gun is going to recoil more just expect. If you are on a wild horse you have two options. Keep riding or fall off. WHO just do the sight alignment and trigger control right and ride the recoil. If the hits are good that will beast most people.

My natural point of aim dictates my stance, left foot about four inches in front of my right. I'm right handed and I shoot strong, weak and freestyle the same way. Kinda keeps everything in the same "groove".

The stage dictates my stance for SHO/WHO.

If it's a classifier type stage with separate SHO/WHO strings, I setup quartered to either the SHO/WHO side because there will be no change during the string. Sometimes there will be a string that starts freestyle, mandatory reload then SHO/WHO. If that's the case, I stay with my freestyle stance.

If it's a field course that dictates SHO/WHO (cord to open port, carrying a prop, etc...) I stay with my freestyle stance.

Some years ago at the Mid Coast Dual Championship at the Hogue Range, I noticed how Taran Butler's time did not vary between a freestyle reload strong hand and freestyle reload weak hand strings.

I spent some time with Taran at his range going though this type of shooting. It was actually an article in Front Sight magazine.

Taran suggested putting the shooting leg forward and bent to resemble a very strong stance. This puts my body at a somewhat 45 degree angle to the targets.

Some cant the gun some don't but what he said was generally the trigger finger pushes the gun inward some so aim at the outside edge of the A zone.

Now these instructions may have been tailored to my shooting but they seem to work for me. Although I am only a B shooter, in standards or weak hand shooting I usually do a lot better than my average.

At Nationals one year, was next to Mike Seeklander shooting the standards course. I noticed he seemed to tuck his chin to his shoulder/deltoid. I tried this technique and it helped me. Others use a more loose technique.

• 1 month later...

For me, canting the gun inward slightly, only exagerated my poor trigger control with my left hand. I tend to push the gun with that trigger finger especially on the second shot, so having the gun canted only added to the problem of pushing low and right. Of course working on my trigger press is the answer

• 3 weeks later...

Foot and body position depends on who you ask.

Like Saul's video suggests, elbow placement is very important, and I feel comfortable saying that most people are prone to locking out the elbow and really thrusting the gun forward, totally skewing the way in which their body absorbs recoil.

At least... I know I was prone to it naturally, before ironing out the problem. And watching video, it still happens from time to time.

Belated thanks for the post, especially for the SK video. I have to see if the elbow position makes a more manageable and consistent recoil. I noticed that my SHO/WHO definitely recoils off to the side instead of up and down.

Also tried maintaining a freestyle stance instead of quartering. The latter feels more like part of my NPA, gets more of my center of gravity behind the gun and feels more stable. The former seems to introduce more tension in my shooting shoulder and arm even when I'm purposefully avoiding full extension. YMMV