Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite loads for Glock 35

gpappy

I have several thousand Berrys 180 gr bullets and getting ready to reload 40 for the first time. Looking for load suggestions for IDPA and USPSA competition. Thinking about minimum power factor for IDPA SSP/ESP and USPSA production and Major for limited 10.

I have several thousand Berrys 180 gr bullets and getting ready to reload 40 for the first time. Looking for load suggestions for IDPA and USPSA competition. Thinking about minimum power factor for IDPA SSP/ESP and USPSA production and Major for limited 10.

I run Berry's or Zero brand 180gr bullets. For both I run: 5.5gr's UNIQUE, Winchester Primers (or CCI, or Federal), mixed brass, 1.135" OAL. Shoot great and makes major.

Z-

3.5 Clays with 165 grn plated is what I shoot for minor. Very soft shooting. Download a few 10ths for the 180 and you should be good.

Edited by AKJD

Clays for Minor, WSF for Major.

This

Take care,

Dave

Yes, but what load of clays?

Greg

You can go all the way down to 2.6gr Clays with a 180gr Bayou and still get 135PF out of it.

Also, each .1gr is about 15-20fps (at least in mine).

Take care,

Dave

Edited by Taildraggerdave

I have 2 loads - one for ESP (IDPA 125000) and one for Limited/Limited 10 (USPSA Major 165).

125000 PF

180gr Frontier CMJ

3.6gr/TiteGroup

OAL = 1.115"

PF = 149000

This load has a higher PF than I wanted but feels better than the 3.3gr/TiteGroup and PF of 138000.

165 PF

180gr Frontier CMJ

4.3gr/TiteGroup

OAL = 1.115"

PF = 175

All load fired from my STI Trojan.

This

Take care,

Dave

What charge of WSF are you guys running? I have Titegroup & WSF, so I want to load & shoot both to compare. I'm interested to see the difference between 40 Major with TG (4.5gr), and 40 Major with WSF. I guess I should include that it's for a G35 using 180gr Zero JHP's & WSP primers.

I'll use Hodgdon's data for my workups, I'm just curious what your charges are. They show a minimum load of 5.4gr @ 1.125 makes about 170pf, but ofcourse that won't necessarily be what my chrono shows.

Edited by MEAT

What charge of WSF are you guys running?

I haven't shot 40 Major with WSF in a long while but, if I remember correctly, I needed 5.2gr of WSF behind a 180gr bullet loaded to 1.185" to make PF out of a 5" barrel.

WSF is a very accurate powder but, because it has a slower burn rate than TG, it's recoil impulse is more noticeable at the same PF.

What charge of WSF are you guys running?

I haven't shot 40 Major with WSF in a long while but, if I remember correctly, I needed 5.2gr of WSF behind a 180gr bullet loaded to 1.185" to make PF out of a 5" barrel.

WSF is a very accurate powder but, because it has a slower burn rate than TG, it's recoil impulse is more noticeable at the same PF.

Thanks man. I have to load them a little shorter (1.135ish), so that will probably change things a little. I'm really curious whether I personally will be able to notice a huge difference between the 2 powders. I've loaded 10mm with W231 & Longshot, and I can can definitely feel a difference. But that was a 180gr JHP @ 950fps vs 1350fps, so it's not really apples to apples.

Edited by MEAT

I'm really curious whether I personally will be able to notice a huge difference between the 2 powders.

I believe you will be able to tell the difference when shooting them side-by-side but don't let this be a deal-breaker. Choose your powder based both on accuracy and how well the firearm recoils in your hands.

There are a lot of people on this forum that swear by the 147gr bullets for 9mm Minor. I tried them and I felt that the slide was moving too sluggish for my taste. I have since switched to shooting 124gr bullets and I like the recoil impulse of those much better. I have had other people shoot my pistol and my load and say that it is too snappy for their taste but it works for me!

The same applies to you in your search for the "perfect" powder... Try a few different ones and find which one works best for you. Once you have found one that meets your requirements, stop messing with your pistol's load! Just stick with what works for your particular shooting style and don't change anything. The less variables you have to deal with, the sooner you will learn to drive that gun as an extension of your arms.