Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Recoil Spring Are You Using In Your 40 Limited?

PHX

Hello,

I have been playing with my 40 limited. I looked at some Henning info and he says to use a 10 lb spring for major USPSA loads. Ideally 10.75lb, but I had a 10 lb at home so I tried that. I think it was to weak. I could feel the slide hanging up for a second when trying to feed a new round into the chamber. I was wondering what you all used for a spring weight with major USPSA ammo.

Thanks!

10 lbs for me, but I'm playing in Limited 10 rather than Limited, so there isn't as much spring pressure from the magazine slowing down the slide.

Have you tried polishing the rail underneath the slide where the bullets rub against?

I use the factory 11.2 lb spring...I found it works well with 180gr CMJ at 176pf.

It is a little hard on my wrists lately, so I changed to a wolff 11 or 10 lb with Sprinco. Eric Grauffel apparently stopped using the Sprinco in his Open guns, but uses them in his Standard/Limited gun.

I have one of Hennings 10.75 lb springs, might try it in the Open gun V8.

I had a friend use my limited at a match today....he changed out the sprinco to a 10lb "well used" wolf spring and Henning guide rod after a couple of stages. (I was RO'ing him)...and we both noticed how the slide was chugging to close...almost appeared to be getting bound up with the two springs. I just took the 10lb out and put in one of Hennings 10.75lb polished. I think I will go with this as the 10lb is something I use in my 135pf production 9mm and I felt it was too light for the major ammo. 12. 2lb is a little too stiff, and I did not like it from before...10.75 - 11.2 is the sweet spot.

After some range time yesterday I settled on a 11lb spring. My sights tracked best with this spring and the slide operated quickly. Does the henning guide rod do any benefit besides reducing damage to the frame? Does it help with recoil reduction?

Thanks for all the info!