Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is causing this?

Nimitz

I found that I'm prone to fighting the pistol sometimes myself-- rarely for 2 shots on a target, but quite frequently in things like Bill Drills or the "Can You Count" Classifier. I diagnose it these days by excessive sight dip.

My shots string downward as the string of fire continues, to the point where I start getting out of the A-zone at 10 yards and further. It's caused mostly by "muscling up" against the gun (especially in my strong side arm), and exacerbated by some mild milking/grip issues with the strong hand and trigger jerk as well.

Flex's tips helped me out quite a bit, and I sort of pulled all of the info I had together and came up with a drill that seems to be working things out for me.

You can perform the drill with essentially any target. Sometimes I'll use an IPSC to see how the shots relate to the A-zone, sometimes I'll use a B-27 for reference on the Bull, sometimes I'll run it straight into the berm just watching the sights. It depends on what I"m looking for or trying to work on-- and just how bad I'm fighting the gun.

I load up a few mags, sometimes with 10 rounds each, but most frequently the full 17. I draw, press out and find the sights at speed (as you should always do, regardless of the shot's difficulty) and then really refine my sight picture as if I'm going for a 25 yard shot on a 6" lollipop.

I break a shot and follow all the way through, including the trigger reset and pause. I break another shot, and do the same thing-- but pause a bit less. Incrementally, I work up the speed as I watch the sights track and try to maintain proper visual patience-- firing the last several rounds off at "full speed", within these limits.

I use the "berm" target for just getting rid of the dip. I use the IPSC for the sake of proper visual patience, and change the distance between 7 and 15 yards from time to time to make sure I'm not cheating/developing other bad habits. I use the B-27 when I want a smaller point of aim, to really polish up the sight picture and because I seem to (subconsciously) exhibit better trigger control on that small X.

This drill has been pretty handy for me, in both learning more about my issue and helping to iron it out as well. The slow build up will reveal at just what point I start to tense up and begin my fight, while at the same time engraining that sensation of the proper technique exhibited during the earlier rounds of the drill. The first time I did it, in a matter of 10 magazines, I was getting a LOT better. Above all else-- try to relax when the shots speed up, instead of the natural tendency to bear down. If your stance and grip are correct, you'll be able to feel the tension in all of the wrong places and you'll quickly realize that you can drive the gun without fighting it.

The dot torture drill looks good.

What are the size of the dots for the drill??

King, they can be any size you want but the ones I use

are about 2.5 - 3.0". You can also set them up at any

distance you want (or dare:).

They recommend 7 yds with iron sights, so I started my

OPEN gun at 10 yds? Seemed to be good, but optional.

Tougher than it looks:(

Good luck,

Jack

I just experienced this with a person that had been shooting less than a year. I thought is was just periodic days where they were jerking the trigger. Some days they did great others we just could not seem to make any progress. For Christmas they got a set of VZ grips. The first day shooting with the new grips they complained about the grip hurting their weak hand just below the thumb. (They are right handed)

No problem I thought we would just lightly sand the grip to take some of the sharpness off it. I went in to the shop with their gun and tried to replicate the high spot with my grip. It was then I realized something had to be wrong with how they were holding the gun. They were putting the tension in the top of their hands holding the gun - the thumb and trigger finger of each hand.

We talked about it and they said that they thought that was how it was supposed to be done. We went to the range yesterday with the change in grip to the lower three fingers and taking all tension out of the top of the hands and for the first time they were shooting dead center and the misses were high for the first time. We worked on just holding the gun in the strong hand without the death grip and no tension at all in the thumb and trigger finger of either hand. They were thrilled at the results and also realized they were feeling different muscles in their forearms now.

Try lightening the grip and think about feeling no tension at all in your trigger finger.

Mike: you were right ... Dr Seeklander did correct this for me & demonstrated it in dramatic fashion during my first match the day after his course. On stage 2 there was a 6 plate rack at the end which I managed to miss all 6 plates. He was following me during the stage and at the end he looked at me & told me he knew I was going to miss every plate since he was just watching my barrel. We then went & talked about the CCP trigger technique he teaches & on the next stage I went 5/5 on the steel knock down plates without a miss by focusing on what he taught me.

He is an amazing instructor & anyone who gets the chance would be crazy to pass up an opportunity to be trained by him ... he also said to say hi ...