Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

American gun company new york

Grumpy's Toy

I have an early 1900's "American gun co new york" 12ga side by side with damascus bbl, external triggers.

Ser #98969. It was my grandfathers and has little value from what im finding out "except to me". Im going to take it to a good gunsmith and have it checked out before i shoot it.

Any information would be helpfull as this would be a great shooter. Where do you get black powder amunition for these old shotguns? How do you find year made? Has anyone ever shoot one?

IMHO damascus barrels are nice to look at but can bust apart if shot even with BP loads.

Over time and # of shots fired the steel weakens with each shot and they can then break apart.

Keep it as a keepsake and memory of your grandfather but personally I wouldn't shoot it.

JK

I happen to second JK on the shooting aspect. One thing you can do is take it to a gunsmith and have him magnaflux the barrels and give the shotgun a FULL safety going through. As for BP shells, Black Dawg cartridges and Ten-X sell BP loads for the Cowboys, but they are $25+ per box :surprise:

I load my own cor Cowboy for that reason. You can find a similar shotgun with fluid steel barrels for a couple hundred that will use regular shells and not worry about damaging the heirloom. I have seen a couple family heirlooms badly damaged from excessive use and definitely recommend getting something similar with NO sentimental value for use.