Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue Gun Training?

STOGIE

I just got a new job that requires me to live on site in a company mobile home for several weeks at a time... That's awesome because I'm not paying rent and spending my money else where.... Its bad because I can't have my pistol here to practice even if I have the Yellow practice barrel and blue magazines... which I totally understand and respect the rule!...

My main sport is IDPA and I shoot the S&W M&P Pro 9mm... Lately, I'm having practice withdrawls... LOL... I am finding that I am using my finger and thumb a lot to do target transition drills while at my desk and rounding corners... As I walk throughout the trailer and office, I'm doing my foot work as I approach doorways and such... LOL... My co-workers are starting to think i'm nuts... but that's okay because it helps pass the idle time when I'm not on the clock....

I'm looking to do more practice and with approval from my boss I have permission to get a "BLUE GUN"..... but they don't make one in the M&P Pro 9mm model..... Would the M&P Pro .40 or .45 be that much of a difference?

Does anyone have any other suggestions of how I can practice or what I can practice with???

Thanks for your help!

--- STOGIE ---

.....o~`o

Supposedly an M&P SIRT is coming soon. I'm hoping there will be news on availability at SHOT show next week.

That's the way to go. I have the Glock version and love it. Last week I wasn't able to go to the range at all for practice. But when it came time for our local club match I shot better than I ever have due to all the time I spent practicing with it. I know it's a different platform but if the s&w version isn't available I would still get one. It's gotta beat the hell out of a blue training pistol...at least you have the laser and resetting trigger.

Edited by brandrum

I have practiced a lot with a SIRT pistol and have not developed a poor sight picture as result. You can see the laser in your peripheral vision without losing front sight focus. Or you can ignore the laser completely. Its also fun to freak out the squirrels in my back yard with the laser :)

Doesn't the Sirt take your focus off the front sight and place it on the target? Seems self-defeating. What am I missing?

Only if you let it. But can't that just as easily happen with live fire practice at the range? What are you missing?...I guess trying it out for yourself. ;)

Is it a training tool that is worth the cost?

absolutely!! If something were to happen to mine I would replace it immediately.... But you know everyone is different. I'm going to upload a video of how I use mine with a laserlyte Target.

The 40 Pro blue gun will be essentially identical to the 9 Pro.

The .45 will be shorter at the muzzle and sight radius, and have a different grip profile-- specifically, elongated from the back to the front strap.

Also bear in mind that the blue guns are almost certainly molded after the "Medium" grip insert, so if you're using the large or small, it will feel different to you.

I've been waiting on the M&P SIRT as well. The half dozen folks I told to look for one while they were at SHOT have not gotten back to me yet-- but they also just got home today, so I'll give them some recovery time. :roflol: