Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

8# of WST near done, looking for clean 9mm & 45acp

kreativecid

Seems all my shooting is either 100 degree temp or 40 degrees, and WST is reverse temp sensitive.

Is there a clean burning powder that both 9mm and 45acp like? Reloads all lower to mid-PF, don't want to spend crazy amounts, can't leave a nasty soot, funnels out of a 550b easily. And a powder that doesn't go way up in PF when it's 40d and get sluggish in the hot summer?

Or should I just stick with WST and consider it as good as it gets?

I have ways been pleased with WST in .40 for mid to low PF. I have not noticed it being dirty or at least no more than Bullseye in 38 or TG in 9mm. I shoot cast lead in all these calibers. I have not noticed the temp sensitivity being a big issue as I love in Seattle - most shooting is done between 45 and 90 degrees. I make a bit more PF in the winter and I take down the loads .5 grains and bump back up workin back into the summer. I am interested to hear what other have to say on the topic. With 16 pounds left I won't change anytime soon, but always open to ideas.

Lee

If you shoot jacketed, Titegroup. Hp-38/W231 would be more temp stable(slightly faster in summer), but a little dirtier and not quite as soft.

Clays for .45 would be good. Some guys run it in 9mm, but its borderline suitable.

For me, Clays does not meter well and the light flakes slosh out of cases easily. I use WSF in 9, 40 and 45 and have been very happy with it. N320 is a possibility, but more expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello: For the 45 I use Clays and for the 40 and 9mm I use Tite Group. Both are very temp stable for me at 30 degrees to 100 degrees. I am going to try some WSF and HP-38 next for the 40 and 9mm. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Be interested in ur findings on the HP-38 and WSF for .40 and 9mm.

I have a pound of each and been looking to try it for those two calibers.

Greg