Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super or 9x23

Shield

There are many who would tell you that both will fit, but I won't touch that since I don't know. I would first ask the seller and if you knew the builder you could ask them. If you want to check chamber dimensions yourself, casting the chamber with cerro-safe is fairly easy.

The Super is a straight walled case and the 9x23 is tapered.

You could use a snap guage and a micrometer and measure the chamber mouth and deeper into the chamber. Are they the same or does the chamber get smaller the deeper you go? If it gets smaller it is the 9x23.

Take it to a smith and have him mic it. That's the right way, but you can usually drop a spent 38 super comp down a 9x23 chamber and it wont fit where a 9x23 will. My open gun has both barrels, they are Shuemanns so they are just marked .355 on the barrel hood of both barrels.

Case lenght is the same 22.86 max(off my head) mm (metric)22.66 measered statline 9mm supercomp

I have had barrels cut with :

- 38. super using .38 super nonte (clymer) reamer.

- 9x23 Nowlin(Clymer)

- 38.Super JGS reamer (Think I custom orders it with tighter dimension, to long ago to remember).

Both chamers are tapered.

(looked at both reamer designs (9x23 and 38.super Nonte) from Clymer Tool they where available at their website

and basicly the 9x23 was a "tad" wider at the base)

I use the 38.Super reamer from JGS for my 9x23.

(tighter chamer as the 9x23 from Clymer was a litle sloppy).

Only problem I have is if someone with a 38.super shoots my 9x23 brass (with their sloppy 38.super chambers) and I reload the brass the round will not camber in my guns as as the lyman 9x23 sizing does not size the cartigde all the way down.

(Lyman 9x23 sizing diw is designed that way).

(running the brass througt a 38.super sizing die will solve the wide base).

I'will stick to 9x23 brass (even touth they are more expensive here in Norway

EO

I bought a used open gun. I do not know if it is a 38 super or a 9x23. Please send me in the right direction on how to figure this out.

does the hood have a cut for the 38 Super's semi rim?

here is an example of the distinction:

http://38super.net/Pages/38%20Super%20v.%209X23%20hood.html

Edited by superdude

Take it to a smith and have him mic it. That's the right way, but you can usually drop a spent 38 super comp down a 9x23 chamber and it wont fit where a 9x23 will. My open gun has both barrels, they are Shuemanns so they are just marked .355 on the barrel hood of both barrels.

My barrel is the same. I am out in Dutch Harbor. No gunsmiths out here. I bought the gun from Gun Runners up here in Anchorage Alaska while I was out in Dutch Harbor. I don't think they will have the sellers contacts.

Richard

I bought a used open gun. I do not know if it is a 38 super or a 9x23. Please send me in the right direction on how to figure this out.

does the hood have a cut for the 38 Super's semi rim?

here is an example of the distinction:

http://38super.net/Pages/38%20Super%20v.%209X23%20hood.html

I will check this out when I fly back to Dutch Harbor.