Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DPMS Panther Optics Ready AR15

Dan Hefta

Hi All,

I just purchased my very first AR yesterday from gunbroker.com. I was a little worried about buying a gun online but I have not heard any negitive feedback about gunbroker.com. Now it's a waiting game... I can't wait to get it!

I have allways wanted an AR but never had the extra funds to blow on it, I just sold my Jeep and I thought to myself.... there's my AR funds! :cheers:

This AR is a flat top so I will be in need of an optic and perhaps flip up sights, any advise would be appreciated.

What type of shooting do you plan on doing? What's your budget for a scope and irons?

I may attend a 3 Gun match or two this next season, nothing over 200 yards. Would a tactical red dot scope be ok for 3 gun? Or should I go with peep sights?

I think the first thing you need to decide is if you want to shoot tac optics or limited. If limited, I would go with something like an eotech or aimpoint or a clone of one of them. At 200 yards max, limited will be pretty easy. If you want tac optics, then a nice 1-4 like a burris or similar would be good. The two diffent style scopes should be about the same price, so that should not make a difference. If you are new to shooting long guns, then having the 1-4 magnification might make the 200 yard shots a little easier for you. Also, tac optics is very competitive and by far, has a lot more shooters than limited. You may be the only one shooting limited, depending on the size of the match, and that is no fun.

Dan

Surprisingly, here in Minnesota for the local shoots, the 3-gun matches have almost become even numbers wise when it comes to Limited (iron sights or 1x optics like Eotech or Aimpoint) or Tactical Optics Divisions (1-4 or higher power scopes). You use the same handgun and shotgun for either division, it is seperated only by the optics chosen or iron sights on the rifle.

When you come out for a few matches it won't take you long to figure out what will work the best for you. You will be able to see what everyone else is using and see how you like their choice.

Good advice here. The variable optics are very versatile but put you in Tac Optics. They will allow you to shoot both the close up targets and the farther targets with the change of the power ring.

For 200 and in a red dot will do just fine but this sport is VERY addictive and you may find yourself wanting to go to larger matches where the red dot at distance will be much more challenging than a variable optic.

It might be a good idea to shoot a few matches, see what others are running, shoot some others set ups and then decide on what you want to comptete in. Check out the classifieds you can find some good deals on optics there.

In the end it's all about what category/division that you want to compete in.