Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about cutting an 870 barrel

lppd4

Bought a nice 870 Wingmaster at a hell of a deal. It has a 28" modified barrel. I was thinking of cutting the barrel to 18"-20" for 3 gun. Will having a cylinder bored shotgun put me at a disadvantge? What length should I cut it too?

I don't shoot a lot of 3-gun, but have had some trouble with my 18.5" cylinder bore knocking down poppers at 20 yards. I was using 1oz. of #6. I am pretty sure that cylinder bore is not ideal for the game.

ETA: Just buy a new barrel. Don't f-up a nice Wingmaster.

Edited by sirveyr

I'm sure it varies by club.. but I've seen many poppers and stars set out far enough where a Cylinder Bore wouldn't have had a chance. (and many times - seen shooters go through all their shells trying)

I'd look for a new barrel too.. 20", 22" or 24", threaded for chokes.. you will need at least Modified (if not full) ocasionally...

I have shot a 3-gun match with a cylinder bore and I can promise you it's not ideal. The poppers gave me trouble, just not enough pellets on them to lay em' down. The MGM spinner they had wasn't going anywhere, took one shot at it to avoid the FTE and went on with life. Just look for a used 20-26" barrel, they are cheap and all over the place. You would be better off selling your barrel to buy another than you would be to cut it and have to pay someone to re-thread for chokes.