Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classification question

Bosshoss

I just started shooting USPSA again after a 14 year break. I rejoined USPSA and after a couple matches got my old classifications back although I have a long way to go to get back to that level, if I ever can :roflol: . All they had were open and limited back when I quit. I'm going to shoot revolver and maybe some limited 10 and Production.

The way I understand it your classification in other classes can only be 1 class lower than your highest classification. How many classifiers do I have to shoot to get classified in the other classes? I know it is six when you first start out but if you are a A class in open you would be a B class minimum in the other divisions anyway why not put B class on the classification card for all the other divisions?

I can see that someone could show up at a major shooting a different class that they have never shot a classifier for and maybe cherrypicking the prize table. The same person who would do that would probably sandbag six classifers and be shooting the same class anyway.

Just wondering and thanks for the replies.

You are unclassified until you shoot 4 classifiers in that other division. You can sandbag them and shoot as low as you want. When you are classified, the classification will have a minimum of 1 below your highest class. Since you are an A in a division you can never be lower than a B in any other division.

I believe it is 4 initial classifiers and after that it is the best 6 of your most recent valid 8.

I understand the reason that we only allow one level down from your best division. Especially say in Limited, L10 and SS. However, I would say that the 5 auto divisions ought to be the same, if you are an A in one, you are an A in all. However, Revo being so radically different you should be what you are in Revo.

Now here is where I go one step further away. We only count classifiers that are within one level below where you are, in other words a D percentage Revo shooter that has an M card in an Auto division needs to shoot I believe 70% to count in Revo. I would say that we should count the best 6 of the current 8 in ALL divisions until your percentage matches your class. At that point we should start looking at 'valid' classifiers. The way it is, one trying to break into a new division has a percentage that is very tough to change and show progression. I am not saying that the class should be lowered, just the threshold for using the percentages to allow the members percentage to show improvement as he strives to match his percentage to his class.

I believe it is 4 initial classifiers and after that it is the best 6 of your most recent valid 8.

However, I would say that the 5 auto divisions ought to be the same, if you are an A in one, you are an A in all. However, Revo being so radically different you should be what you are in Revo.

I agree totally. Talk about sanctioned sandbagging.

:sight:

Now here is where I go one step further away. We only count classifiers that are within one level below where you are, in other words a D percentage Revo shooter that has an M card in an Auto division needs to shoot I believe 70% to count in Revo.

Thanks for replys everyone.

Jim in your example above a Master open shooter starts shooting a Revolver and shoots 4 D class classifiers would be class A as soon as 4 classifiers are on record?

It doesn't matter what the classifiers he shot scored, is that right?

I guess my confusion is if the classifiers are below a certain level they don't count in your average?

Yet when he gets 4 classifiers on record no matter what they scored he becomes A class right.

Man I hope that made sense.

[...]

I can see that someone could show up at a major shooting a different class that they have never shot a classifier for and maybe cherrypicking the prize table.[...]

Small point ... But such a person would be shooting as "Unclassified" and hence only allowed to go to the prize table based on overall finish in that division. If run by normal conventions, there are no "prizes" for "Unclassified."

[...]

I can see that someone could show up at a major shooting a different class that they have never shot a classifier for and maybe cherrypicking the prize table.[...]

Small point ... But such a person would be shooting as "Unclassified" and hence only allowed to go to the prize table based on overall finish in that division. If run by normal conventions, there are no "prizes" for "Unclassified."

There is at Double Tap. I saw it last year. First and only time I've seen it.

Now here is where I go one step further away. We only count classifiers that are within one level below where you are, in other words a D percentage Revo shooter that has an M card in an Auto division needs to shoot I believe 70% to count in Revo.

Thanks for replys everyone.

Jim in your example above a Master open shooter starts shooting a Revolver and shoots 4 D class classifiers would be class A as soon as 4 classifiers are on record?

It doesn't matter what the classifiers he shot scored, is that right?

I guess my confusion is if the classifiers are below a certain level they don't count in your average?

Yet when he gets 4 classifiers on record no matter what they scored he becomes A class right.

Man I hope that made sense.

Yes, once you get your first four, they are averaged for a percentage, and regardless of what that percentage is, if you're a master in any other division, then you'd have your A card in Revolver.

After that, any additional classifiers would not be counted unless they were in top 5% of B class, i.e. 70% or better --- so if you're struggling in Revo, that initial percentage might stick around for a while --- because you're now an A class revolver shooter....