Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3g build - Opinions, comments

five six

A while back there was a sale on forged uppers for 80 bucks complete (http://www.karrisguns.com/ar-15-upper-receivers/aero-preceision-assembled-upper), so I decided to get one. Now it seems like I've got to build something out of it.

Aero Precision forged upper

Loki 18" double fluted (rifle length gas sys) (28 oz)

Loki 15" Carbon fiber handguard (6 oz) or Apex Handguards 15" (12.5oz)

-Hides the front gas block, don't plan to use BUIS because if it goes out in a match it goes out...

JP Adjustable Gas Block

Rifle length gas tube

SJC Titan Comp

Young MFG super light national match bcg

Optic undecided, but probably a 1-4x leupold or comp

or a eotech + magnifier.

Lower will use existing carbine lower

Magpul MIAD pg

Magpul ACS

Magpul BAD

SLAP Plate (magpul asap sucks)

Ambi Controls coming unsure what brand.

S3G Trigger, AR Gold, or JP.... not sure yet.

Edited by five six

Has Apex added a 15" to their line up? The longest I can see on their website is 12.5" rifle length.

I'm going to be quite excited if they have.

http://www.bhigear.com/bhi-ar-handguards.aspx (14" with clamp) I stand corrected. It does however, cover a lo-pro gas block.

I'm thinking about seeing if apex can run a special on 5 of them and maybe get a couple people in on a group by.

Edited by five six

Has Apex added a 15" to their line up? The longest I can see on their website is 12.5" rifle length.

I'm going to be quite excited if they have.

http://www.bhigear.com/bhi-ar-handguards.aspx (14" with clamp) I stand corrected. It does however, cover a lo-pro gas block.

I'm thinking about seeing if apex can run a special on 5 of them and maybe get a couple people in on a group by.

I just talked to apex and I'm going to get in on a 15" group buy, so PM if you're interested in a 15" version.

I highly recomend the Syrac Adjustable Gas block. I beleive the overall design is the best currently on the market. If you don't like set-screws, the clmap styel should be out in a month or so.

Might consider a Miculek comp, very effective and a lot less $.

For your ambi controls, the DPMS parts are readily available and inexpensive.

TRY the triggers before you buy one. The ones you list, plus the Jard drop in, are all very good triggers, but they have different feels. Some I like, some I don't, but it is more preferance than actual long term durability and performance.

LOVE the Magpul ACS stocks, good choice.

I highly recommend the Syrac Adjustable Gas block. I believe the overall design is the best currently on the market. If you don't like set-screws, the clamp style should be out in a month or so.

Nice to hear, the set screw is what kept me from purchasing one previously. I will buy the clamp style. Are you going to offer them?

Edited by carbon9

Loki 18" double fluted (rifle length gas sys) (28 oz)

Loki 15" Carbon fiber handguard (6 oz) or Apex Handguards 15" (12.5oz)

I think LOKI's 18" double fluted barrels are awesome! Carbon handguard is sweet too! Great choices there.

Anyone have an opinion on the Nordic handguards? I'm in the process uf building a new 3-Gun upper on a budget. The dimensions and weight are very close to the VTAC, yet they are about 1/2 the price.

I'm very happy with mine; I don't have a VTAC and don't feel that I'm missing out.

I have the VTAC and the Nordic, the Nordic tube has smoother external surface in comparison and you need a special tool to install it but they are real similar. (VTAC X-tended on AR10T, Nordic mid-length on a NC22 upper)

• 4 weeks later...

You know what they say about wrapping your stuff up... I guess I better figure out a muzzle brake/comp for this!

imageieoo.jpg

imagenjz.jpg

imagerje.jpg

Parts remaining

Muzzle Brake/Comp (having trouble deciding!)

New lower:

SS3G Trigger

Bad Lever

JP LMOS Buffer

JP Buffer Spring

A2 Tube

A2 Stock

You know what they say about wrapping your stuff up... I guess I better figure out a muzzle brake/comp for this!

imageieoo.jpg

imagenjz.jpg

imagerje.jpg

Parts remaining

Muzzle Brake/Comp (having trouble deciding!)

New lower:

SS3G Trigger

Bad Lever

JP LMOS Buffer

JP Buffer Spring

A2 Tube

A2 Stock

Weighs under 6.5lbs no optics, 7lbs with eotech + magnifier.