Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Under Armor Gear for Cold Weather

Aggieddad02

Deer season is coming to an end here in Louisiana and it is time to move back to the range. We still have some cold weather yet to come so I am gearing up for it. I know that UA has their Cold Gear for colder temps, which one seems to work best as far as warmth and allowing movement through the stages. My son recently gave me a UA top he can't wear and it has a soft inner layer which seems to be a good match. Also, your thoughts compressed or fitted pieces. As usual thanks for the time to reply. :cheers:

Edited by Aggieddad02

I love my coldgear and have worn it for shooting and especially out running (I am into distance running year round.) In my experience, it works best with keeping existing heat in (when doing activities that will get body heat going as opposed to standing around) and it doesn't seem to do much for wind. I totally agree that it works best in layers to combat the above!

Tight fitting base layers are fine, but don't make every layer tight fitting. The small pockets of air will keep you warm. Make sure that the base layer is "wicking", so stay away from those old school cotton long johns. Liquid is 200+ time more conductive than air, so always shed layers be for you start to sweat. It is surprising how warm you can stay with a good base layer, a thin down jacket and a Gore-Tex shell. Nice and light.

Avoid cotton socks. Cotton socks suck. Stick with wool. They don't need to be super thick either. Make sure your shoes are not tight. This will restrict circulation.

Keep your core warm. Also keep your head and neck covered. Not only because of the heat loss, but because your brain uses your head and neck to help control your body's thermostat.

Drink lots of liquid. Cold liquid. Hot liquids pass through your neck and give the body a false sense of warmth. See the above sentence.

Hmmmm....after I typed all of this I realized that you live in LA and you probably weren't looking for cold weather tips for living in Michigan. :lol: What is the average temp down there, 50F?

sirveyr, it can get fairly cool down here, we may see lows in the mid to upper 20's at times but usually not for an extended period. Highs today are in the upper 50's which I know is nothing compared to you Northerners. Problem down here is the dampness seems to make it feel colder than it really is. May need to look at other options besides UA gear based on the different posts. Thanks for taking the time to reply and by the way I am told that Louisiana has some of the best food to be found anywhere. If you are ever in the neighborhood give me a headsup and dinner is on me :cheers:

Do you have a local Target?

They have the Champion brand cold weather gear. I own Under Armor as well and I can't tell a difference in quality/performance and it is wayyyy cheaper.

The C9 stuff from Target is great. I use a lot of it for my workout gear but I haven't seen anything geared for cold weather though.

Tight fitting base layers are fine, but don't make every layer tight fitting. The small pockets of air will keep you warm. Make sure that the base layer is "wicking", so stay away from those old school cotton long johns. Liquid is 200+ time more conductive than air, so always shed layers be for you start to sweat. It is surprising how warm you can stay with a good base layer, a thin down jacket and a Gore-Tex shell. Nice and light.

Avoid cotton socks. Cotton socks suck. Stick with wool. They don't need to be super thick either. Make sure your shoes are not tight. This will restrict circulation.

Keep your core warm. Also keep your head and neck covered. Not only because of the heat loss, but because your brain uses your head and neck to help control your body's thermostat.

Drink lots of liquid. Cold liquid. Hot liquids pass through your neck and give the body a false sense of warmth. See the above sentence.

Hmmmm....after I typed all of this I realized that you live in LA and you probably weren't looking for cold weather tips for living in Michigan. :lol: What is the average temp down there, 50F?

This is a great analysis, I use the UA cold weather gear as my base layer and a snowboarding jacket with a gortex shell and I am able maintain a pretty even body temp throughout the day. The funny thing is it keeps me cool going down the hill when I am at my most active and have the greatest potential to start sweating, and it keeps me warm up the mountain when I am just sitting there on the ski lift in the freezing wind. I also recommend the tight base layer to keep down on bulk and allow ease of movement. Especially important when shooting.

Coldgear compression mock neck top, a fitted thin fleece top from The North Face and a soft shell will get me through anything from -5°C to -30°C.

Pit zips on the soft shell allows for ventilation when needed, fleece keeps me warm when I'm not moving (something that the underarmour won't do)

For me the Cold Gear stuff does do exactly what it says on tin, but I find it uncomfortable after a few hours as it starts to pull on my body hair. For my orangutan like physique I found that things like Cabelas MTP (which looks a lot like the NordicTrack linked above) work a lot better.