Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.25 vs 4.5 xdm

rvoutdoorsman

For the last two years I shot the 4.5 xdm with less than satisfying results and my opinion of the 5.25 is about the same but with different gripes. The main reason for the purchase of a Springfield was for their sponsership of USPSA shooting events. I also wanted a more modern 9mm other than my old Ruger P85 which would be easier to introduce my granddaughters to shooting. What I liked about the 4.5 XDM was the pointability, handling and most of all the accuracey. With Federal 147 factory loads I could rush through a stage with 90% A hits and 30% of the bullet holes touching each other. The biggest complaint I had for it was the trigger reset, more than once half way through a course of fire I would have to stop and reset the trigger. This would happen even after shooting hundreds of round down range and was sure I had the "feel" for the trigger. I blame it on an inconsistant trigger reset. My other complaint is the magazine release. In my opinion it takes way too much effort to even drop a partially loaded magazine. This will be a problem for younger shooters such as my grandchildren. This last fall I purchased the 5.25 with hopes of a high quality competition pistol with all the bugs worked out with a few added features such as the adjustable sights, fiber optic front and of course the longer barrel. What I got was a less acurate pistol with a slightly improved trigger reset and the same problem with the magazine release. I haven't decided to try and work the bugs out or just get a different brand of pistol. I just expected more for the amount of money I spent.

Does anyone have the contact email of Canyon Creek, please? I tried to contact them through the "contact us" link at their website and got a failure notice in my email box (connected to 97.64.187.45 but sender was rejected).

Thanks for any help.

Demetrio.

I would highly recommend Scott at Springer Precision. I've worked with him and the fine folks at Powder River, which do a great job as well. I've heard great things about Rich too, but don't have any personal experience.

What you're describing are fairly simple things to address. You won't recognize your trigger if you get one of these guys to work on it. The reset will be extremely short. Depending on what class you are shooting, an extended mag release could be a possibility too. The 5.25, like all XD's is a pretty amazing pistol and a great value. For that price they can't mass produce a super fine, high quality competition pistol. Even if you buy an expensive STI or SVI you can expect some tuning to get it set up and running the way you like it. Even with a few more bucks getting things sorted out, your 5.25 will still represent an incredible value.

My son and I have 4.5 XDm's and they've been shot a lot, probably pushing 25k rounds through each one by now. We took them out today along with my open gun and shot some plate racks. Had a blast, and we've never had either of the XDm's fail in any way. Other folks that own XD's and XD'm's have shot our guns and couldn't believe what a difference there is in the triggers.

For your grandkids you may want to consider a heavier solid guide rod too. It helps tame the muzzle flip a bit.