Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dialysis & shooting question

TruStreet

Mods, if this is the wrong place for this, please, feel free to move to the correct location

I have known for 2 years that my kidneys were failing. This Friday I’m going to have a vein map done to determine the best spot for my port so I can start Dialysis the 1st quarter of 2012.

Are there any of you (shooter) that are currently under dialysis? If so how has it affected your shooting? I’m only a “C” class shooter but was knocking on the door of “B” before I got sick. After being on life support for over a month 2 years ago,I have had trouble getting back to my old skill level. I now shoot like a “D” shooter and thats on a good day. :(

So how do you train?

TIA

Manny

Edited by TruStreet

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

My shooting has sucked for years, but I still have fun. I started PD last July 2, but it proved inadequate in January and I had to transition to HD. I feel pretty fortunate as I am able to deal with the symptoms and don't experience the extreme fatigue that has been reported by many, plus I was able to get mentally prepared as I had 17 years notice. The surprise nature of the transition necessitated a femoral line followed by a vas cath with the fistula coming later (after some other issues are resolved and I am ready to be surged - already had the mapping done), so I am absolutely precluded from rifle shooting for a few months minimum but can still handgun. Since I am stuck in-center until I transition to nocturnal in-center and then home hemo, most Area 7 match registrations get processed from "the chair". Gets loads of funny looks from the staff when they have a room full of patients zoning out, and I set up a board I bring to make a desk, laptop, letter opener, file box, stapler and get to work.

On a side note - if you are a candidate for PD, consider giving it a go. I'd gladly give all the guns in my safe to be able to give up HD and move back to PD - and my safe is dang full. At the last board meeting, I was connected to a PD drain bag in my laptop case as we carried on discussions - and others either didn't notice or were too polite to comment.

My advice is "be your own best advocate". Learn all you can about the different flavors of dialysis, and don't expect your doc or clinic to tell you everything - for example, have you been told about the tremendous increase in mortality caused by the typical US use of 3 day/week treatment instead of every other day (EOD)? That three day gap can be a killer. Any doc will confirm that if asked, but few will volunteer that they are offering you clearly sub-optimal treatment based on a cost/.benefit calculation driven by medicare guidelines (as all dialysis patients are medicare after 30 months of treatment regardless of age).

There are multiple models of home machines available, each with various choices in modality of operation. Learn about every one of them, and consider becoming a home hemo patient for both a better medical outcome and lifestyle improvements. I have to transition to fistula before doing this, however, it is in my plan and my doc has promised to make it happen.

My shooting has sucked for years, but I still have fun. I started PD last July 2, but it proved inadequate in January and I had to transition to HD. I feel pretty fortunate as I am able to deal with the symptoms and don't experience the extreme fatigue that has been reported by many, plus I was able to get mentally prepared as I had 17 years notice. The surprise nature of the transition necessitated a femoral line followed by a vas cath with the fistula coming later (after some other issues are resolved and I am ready to be surged - already had the mapping done), so I am absolutely precluded from rifle shooting for a few months minimum but can still handgun. Since I am stuck in-center until I transition to nocturnal in-center and then home hemo, most Area 7 match registrations get processed from "the chair". Gets loads of funny looks from the staff when they have a room full of patients zoning out, and I set up a board I bring to make a desk, laptop, letter opener, file box, stapler and get to work.

On a side note - if you are a candidate for PD, consider giving it a go. I'd gladly give all the guns in my safe to be able to give up HD and move back to PD - and my safe is dang full. At the last board meeting, I was connected to a PD drain bag in my laptop case as we carried on discussions - and others either didn't notice or were too polite to comment.

My advice is "be your own best advocate". Learn all you can about the different flavors of dialysis, and don't expect your doc or clinic to tell you everything - for example, have you been told about the tremendous increase in mortality caused by the typical US use of 3 day/week treatment instead of every other day (EOD)? That three day gap can be a killer. Any doc will confirm that if asked, but few will volunteer that they are offering you clearly sub-optimal treatment based on a cost/.benefit calculation driven by medicare guidelines (as all dialysis patients are medicare after 30 months of treatment regardless of age).

There are multiple models of home machines available, each with various choices in modality of operation. Learn about every one of them, and consider becoming a home hemo patient for both a better medical outcome and lifestyle improvements. I have to transition to fistula before doing this, however, it is in my plan and my doc has promised to make it happen.

Thanks Rob,

I have good & bad days but I think I have everything under control. I went to Dallas this pass CHRISTMAS and the clinic

there ran my treatment with a profile 4 as well as soduim which helped with keeping my BP from dropping & the cramps at bay.

I also have a possible donor from an old school friend. They still need to be tested but I also need to lose another 15 LBS.

Keep in touch and let me know how you're doing.

Have you looked into home hemo? If you can get your doc to get you home hemo, nocturnal, and get authorization for every other day rather than 3x/week you will lower your statistical mortality significantly over 3x/week in-center. Ask your doc what the studies say (funny, they all know this but never seem to volunteer the info). And then, there is always the option of short daily which is also much better from a mortality rate than 3x/in center.