Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 indexing too soon

I am seating some 55 gr FMJ BT bullets in 223 rem. The RL 1050(not super) machine indexes fine from seat to crimp but from crimp to the Blue Akrobin it seems to be indexing prematurely causeing the tip of the bullet to catch on the Lee factory crimp die. I am seating to 2.250".

I am suspecting the Lee die is causing the problem.

I am thinking a standard taper crimp die (dillon , redding) will correct the problem.

Has anyone else ran into this?

Definitely not an indexing issue but a die body length issue.

Do your bullets have a cannelure for the crimp?

Do you NEED a crimp? I would cycle several inert rounds and check for bullet set-back after 3 chamberings.

I have had no issue with my AR and bullet tension and I haven't applied a crimp yet.

If you need to crimp, and the Lee die seems like a good choice, contact Lee and they will probably trim the die body length down for you.

I am applying very minimal crimp with the Lee Factory crimp die. If it was 1/8" shorter it would probably work fine. But if I unscrew it one turn it will not work.

I have heard that before that a crimp really is not nessasary. The sizer and expander die should give enough tension on the bullet. It just provides extra security.