Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 processed brass and the X die

BillD

I'm new to .223 reloading so bear with me.

If I buy processed brass, trimmed to length with the primer pockets swaged, could I load them with an X die and be able to reload the brass without trimming again?

Thanks, Bill

Yes, if you recover your brass and only your brass for only one weapon.

And even then, you will need to trim at some point. (I'm pretty sure you have to trim them before you use the X-die anyway)

If I load a batch of 5.56, fire it through my AR15, 5.56 AK, and HK53 5.56, they won't all resize the same in the X-die if mixed together.

It works by reducing the growth of the case. If all of the cases are from the same lot with the same dimensions/characteristics, you're good to go. If not, you won't get consistent results.

Theoretically, you can do the same with a normal sizing die since if all the cases grow at the same rate, you probably don't need to trim them if they're below 1.760". The problem is that if one sneaks in there that doesn't fit the lot, it can screw you big time. The rate of growth after the resize depends on the number of firings, the brand of brass, what lot the brass is from, what kind of weapon it was fired out of, how it was treated when it was originally loaded, how hot it was loaded etc. The only way to be sure is to measure ALL of them or get a Giraud/Gacey, set it, and forget it.

Unless your brass is clearly marked, can you really be sure you didn't accidentally pick up a stray case? Instead of worrying, I get the peace of mind from resizing and trimming everything.

I had the X-Die then paid the money for a Giraud so I can pick up everything and treat all of it the same since I can set it to trim consistently based on the headspace. (And all headspace dimensions should be close since all of them get resized the same way)

Edited by DyNo!

The only thing is with the X-die you trim your brass (and don't quote me look at the directions)like .010 shorter than normal trim length then it pretty much stays the same and it does work, So make sure the brass you buy is trimed short enough or you will still have to trim it again.I had one but now I just trim it a little shorter and use Redding dies.Just a heads up hope this helps you.

Joe

Thanks guys,

I'm trying to reload .223 without buying a trimmer and a swager. I just don't want to get that tied up in cost and time for maybe 3K per year.

I'll just buy processed brass if I have to.

For 3k a year buy a decent hand trimmer ( RCBS, Lyman, Etc) with a power drill adapter and take care of crimped primers with a deburring tool (which you can also find power adapters for). Possum Hollow makes good stuff. That way you into a decent set up for maybe 150-200 bucks? I have an X die, however it is for one rifle that i dont shoot very often, that shoots one big batch of the same brass.

Thanks guys,

I'm trying to reload .223 without buying a trimmer and a swager. I just don't want to get that tied up in cost and time for maybe 3K per year.

I'll just buy processed brass if I have to.

An X-Die plus $200 you'd spend on a trimming setup plus about $100 will buy a Giraud.

You'll eventually load more and you can do 1,000 an hour.

I've only seen one person sell theirs on the internet since I've owned one:

for the X die brass, you trim to 1.73" .

If you have a Dillon 650 or some other casefeeder equipped press, I would just recommend to get the Dillon 1200 trimmer. Handling each piece of brass by hand is a PITA.

but if you want to go the cheap route, buy the possum hollow cutter, and chuck it into a drill.

as far as getting your X die'ed brass back, by the fourth firing the case necks will start splitting (which depends on which brass you started out with in the first place), that is if you can find them.

unless of course you want to take the time to anneal them.

sooo....hmmn...yeah, just buy processed brass.

or buy the foreign made stuff for like 21 cents to 25 cents a round, and not even worry about reloading .223 .

whooopss! I forgot to add...I do case gauge all of my .223 rounds. Just in case some NON-X-die'ed brass makes it through, and just an in general last QC check before it goes in the ammo box and gets marked with a laundry marker.

An X-Die plus $200 you'd spend on a trimming setup plus about $100 will buy a Giraud.

You'll eventually load more and you can do 1,000 an hour.

I've only seen one person sell theirs on the internet since I've owned one:

Just watching that video makes my hands cramp up... :roflol:

I just processed (including trimming and deswaging primer pockets) 14k of 223 brass on a 1050 with a dillon trimmer. took me just over 10 hours total. didn't have to handle one single case, everything done in bulk with case feeder, etc... now I am set for a while anyway...for 223... 308 is next...but its a bit slower. :goof:

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ