Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed vs. Accuracy

JoseyWalesX

The last match I went to, I ended up 2nd Limited, I was first on two stages, second on three stages, and 7th on one stage. I hit 90-98% of the points for each stage I won or placed 2nd on. I had 100% of the points for the stage I was 7th on. I had zero penalty points for the match.

One stage I won (all divisions combined)I shot 1.67 seconds SLOWER than the fastest time (an Open Shooter) but had six more points and zero penalty points, he had 20 penalty points.

As a newer USPSA shooter, you need to remember that you are in a sport that is based on a very simple concept, that can have a very complex multiple layered type strategy and results. To progress you have to generally shoot all the required targets first, then hit placement and time (and that order seems to depend on what everyone else does).

If you hit all your targets then you can work on speeding up and your hit placement. It boils down to Net Points(total points-penalty points) per stage and time, not just "%A's". It took me a year to get that simple concept through my thick skull, I just hope it is right!

To progress you have to generally shoot all the required targets first, then hit placement and time (and that order seems to depend on what everyone else does).

If you hit all your targets then you can work on speeding up and your hit placement. It boils down to Net Points(total points-penalty points) per stage and time, not just "%A's". It took me a year to get that simple concept through my thick skull, I just hope it is right!

Modify the Above.

Shoot A's as fast as you can. Don't take stupid risks on hard shots. On partial targets it is better to drop a point or two than to risk a miss, no shoot or both. The best way to speed up your times is to work on gun handling and foot work. :cheers:

WG

A thing to remember for the newer competitors is that there is alot more to shooting a stage fast than shooting fast. Make sure that all the non-shooting things you are doing during the stage are done quickly and smoothly. Having a good plan and having it burned into your mind as opposed to not can make a huge difference.

Yes coach exactly.

The other thing to consider when to speed up is the hit factor of the stage.

You will learn to estimate this and to know about what it should be and this can tell you when you can speed up or when you have to be very careful. If it works out to be a high hit factor stage, like a 10, then that tells you 1 second = 10 points, so you can be fast and give up a few points of accuracy (A's), whereas a stage with an estimated hitfactor of say 3 would mean 1 sec. = 3 points, (a delta would cost you 1 second), so making better hits is much more critical.

Make sense? Work on getting A's and let the estimated HF of the stage dictate if it is time to speed up.

WG

This problem is very familiar. I have been doing matches for slightly over a year, and moved from Standard to Production division because I felt more comfortable with the Production gun that I tried than the Standard I was shooting.

The trouble is that all of the Production shooters I compete with are fast and accurate, and I fall into the trap of trying to keep up with them, without my mind being relaxed and calm enough on the front notch. Scores show it of course. Whenever I convince myself to keep my foot on the brake pedal, scores increase measurably.

Convince yourself to see more. Make that the true one and only goal.

True. Although I sacrificed some time on my runs, I incorporate calling shots, so I can tell if I hit a C or D and make it up, so I loose some time. I just speed up my movements to compensate, but still my vision is my priority right now, I don't care about the standings :)

True. Although I sacrificed some time on my runs, I incorporate calling shots, so I can tell if I hit a C or D and make it up, so I loose some time. I just speed up my movements to compensate, but still my vision is my priority right now, I don't care about the standings :)

You lose time by calling shots? I tend to make better time by calling the shots. Or, are you just talking about the time for the (needed) makeup shot?

You lose time by calling shots? I tend to make better time by calling the shots. Or, are you just talking about the time for the (needed) makeup shot?

Excellent comment. I wonder if some of us "allow" ourselves to make bad shots by not calling them in the first place.....

I've grown to dislike the 95% advice,...

Me too.

I also dislike the very nothing of "balancing" the points and speed. It's like a dog chasing his own tail. Any time we pit this VS. that we set a limit. It places the focus in the wrong area. We end up with thinking we will give up one thing in favor of the other. (And, since we all wanna-b-speedy ...we know how that ends up.)

Instead, we need to develop (and maintain) the mental discipline to truly allow our vision to drive us while shooting.

I think today I would say it: Shoot A's as fast as you can know that you are shooting A's.

be

• 2 weeks later...

My split between 2 shots is kinda a slow, I'm just starting out and just starting to apply shot calling :) But lately been progressing coz I just found out that my weak hand grip is not consistent and weak (no pun intended). Bill Drills helps a lot, and now my grip, trigger finger especially my eyes are improving. Thanks to BE and to you guys :)

I just moved into B class in production after shooting USPSA for about 2 years. I still can't call my shots, it is so hard for me to watch the sight. A lot of the time I catch myself just looking at the targets and point shooting. My most recent all classifier shows this.

Pct Points shot (ignoring penalties): 85.41

Pct points shot (counting penalties): 77.30

Partial targets/head only shots seem to be where I am loosing the most points. I try and move the POA out from the NS, but sometimes I will still nail it, and getting upper A shots is difficult for me so I just aim for the head.

• 1 month later...

My split between 2 shots is kinda a slow, I'm just starting out and just starting to apply shot calling :) But lately been progressing coz I just found out that my weak hand grip is not consistent and weak (no pun intended). Bill Drills helps a lot, and now my grip, trigger finger especially my eyes are improving. Thanks to BE and to you guys :)

Good job! Keep it coming.

When you really SEE what is happening, then you get to compare that with the desired outcome (you also want a clear outcome in mind).

So, when you are really SEEing what is going on, you will then be able to notice things...like your grip...needing work.

Good job! Keep it coming.

When you really SEE what is happening, then you get to compare that with the desired outcome (you also want a clear outcome in mind).

So, when you are really SEEing what is going on, you will then be able to notice things...like your grip...needing work.

:cheers:

• 2 months later...

Yes coach exactly.

The other thing to consider when to speed up is the hit factor of the stage.

You will learn to estimate this and to know about what it should be and this can tell you when you can speed up or when you have to be very careful. If it works out to be a high hit factor stage, like a 10, then that tells you 1 second = 10 points, so you can be fast and give up a few points of accuracy (A's), whereas a stage with an estimated hitfactor of say 3 would mean 1 sec. = 3 points, (a delta would cost you 1 second), so making better hits is much more critical.

Make sense? Work on getting A's and let the estimated HF of the stage dictate if it is time to speed up.

WG

Can you elaborate on this a bit more - or do you have any hints to help me search to find it?

I understand the concept of hit factor, but how do you estimate it? By watching other shooters? Or should I know roughly how long each of my actions take (i.e. 2 shots on 1 target moving 5 steps and another 2 shots, should I know my splits, transitions, movement speed etc)?

Cheers,

Ryan

You want to shoots A's as fast as you can on every stage regardless of hit factor. When you shoot for A's you will drop a few into the C zone. When you tell yourself its acceptable to shoot non A's for the sake of speed you will be poking lots of D's and taking misses.