Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mcfeelys sale

JKSNIPER

I was tempted to buy a few of the next size up akro bins from what Dillon shipped with my RL550B...but after some examination, it looks like the extra inch of depth isn't going to work on the finished cartridge bin on the side of the strong mount.

Still...it is tempting to order a few replacement/additional 3" x 4-1/8" x 7-3/8" bins, which I believe are the same ones Dillon uses for the 650/550, at a much better price...and only $1 for shipping.

I'd be tempted still to go with the bigger ones for bullet storage, but I generally keep bullets in their original shipping boxes.

It looked to me like the depth of the bin and the slope of the strong mount would interfere, with the bottom back edge of the bin and the side of the strong mount needing to occupy the same space. The empty brass bin wouldn't be a problem...but it just didn't seem like the deeper finished cartridge bin would work. Do the 1050 bins fit an RL550B on strong mount (as a finished cartridge bin) with the bin canted up a bit?

Edited by njl

My first order of bins arrived today. There are some subtle differences between these and the Akro ones Dillon ships, but they are so similar, if I were Akro, and I didn't make these, I'd be looking at suing for patent infringement. They certainly seem to be Dillon-compatible. The blue is a darker shade that doesn't match "Dillon blue" :(

After looking at the press again, I just went ahead and ordered some of the deeper/longer ones, thinking they may actually fit and allow for longer reloading sessions without having to empty/replace the finished bin.

The $1 shipping deal is apparently still active.

Well, I guess I'll be calling them tomorrow. They screwed up my second order, and what should have been (and says on the packing slip) larger stack and hang bins are actually some kind of nesting bins that don't have any sort of hanging lip. I can't even find this product on their web site...but it's definitely not what I ordered.

• 2 weeks later...

As I suspected, that next size up bin (longer and deeper) really doesn't fit the 550 strong mount as a finished cartridge bin. The back/bottom edge of the bin needs to be where the strong mount is...so you can hang one there, but it'll be canted up a bit.

As I suspected, that next size up bin (longer and deeper) really doesn't fit the 550 strong mount as a finished cartridge bin. The back/bottom edge of the bin needs to be where the strong mount is...so you can hang one there, but it'll be canted up a bit.

Hmm... I hung a 1050 bin off of my bracket with no other means of support, i.e C clamp etc. It fit just fine and did not hit the strong mount at all. It just had to be slid back a little since the roller handle would bump it on the push.

How are they as far as rigidity? I have numerous bins from a couple of companies, but none of them are as sturdy as Akro bins.

I haven't used mine yet but they certainly don't feel as sturdy as the Akros.

Hmm... I hung a 1050 bin off of my bracket with no other means of support, i.e C clamp etc. It fit just fine and did not hit the strong mount at all. It just had to be slid back a little since the roller handle would bump it on the push.

Yeah, I don't think I need a C clamp for mine either, except that I hang the dillon bin from the big akro and I'm always grabbing brass from it. Didn't want to disturb it and end up with 200 rounds of ammo scattered across the floor.

On a side note, I'm kinda surprised my dillon bin hasn't dumped my empties on the ground yet, but it hasn't moved.

Edited by coyote4x4

Yeah, I don't think I need a C clamp for mine either, except that I hang the dillon bin from the big akro and I'm always grabbing brass from it. Didn't want to disturb it and end up with 200 rounds of ammo scattered across the floor.

On a side note, I'm kinda surprised my dillon bin hasn't dumped my empties on the ground yet, but it hasn't moved.

I put a piece of duct tape on my bracket and the bin wedged on there pretty tight.

My used Dillon 650 came without any bins anyone have size suggestions for a non-strongmount setup? Needing mainly the finished cartridge bin, bullet bin and should I have a few others on hand to organize ahead of time?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Edited by splitime