Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super comp wtih Auto comp powder

bthunter019

Alright here it goes. I have been shooting Auto Comp powder in 9mm major out of an open Glock. The powder was working great BUT I was getting tired of the Glock problems I was having running it as an open gun. Broke down and bought a real open SV gun in 38 super comp (wanted it in 9MM Major)couldn't pass up the deal. Any way's I have about 18 pounds of Auto Comp and was wondering if there is any load data some one can give me to start with. Looking to meet major PF. I know there is a lot of load data for other powders, and possibly better powders in peoples opinions but I am buried in this stuff. I know that I can get it rebarreled for 9mm major also but I'm not thinking of doing that right now. Can some one please help a brother out LOL. Thanks all

Out of my SV 38 super open gun I make major PF using 7.7 grains of Auto Comp under a 124gr MG loaded to 1.260" OAL.

I would suggest loading some test rounds starting at 7.5 and working up. Friends with open 38 supers that use Auto Comp seem to end up between 7.6-7.9 grains.

It does have hybrid ports. I'm not experienced enough to really compare it to anything else. I haven't tried 3n38 yet. Auto Comp is readily available locally for me, and since it works and I have some friends using it, I've been sticking with it so far.

A few months ago I asked for some load data for my new IMM using 3n38 powder (http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=135761&st=0&p=1539553&hl=svi%20imm&fromsearch=1entry1539553). Someone posted that they were using Autocomp and liked it (see below). I ended up sticking with 3n38 but am interested in how autocomp shoots.

I use 7.5gr Autocomp on a 124 CMJ MG. Works well for me. I tried the 3N38 and did not like it. Could not get it to shoot flat. 3N38 is VERY LOUD in my gun. I had a 3 port comp and 4 holes in the barrel. I changed to a 2 port and 3 holes in the barrel. I got tired of cleaning the scope after 2 stage. The 3 hole barrel is much cleaner on the scope.

A few months ago I asked for some load data for my new IMM using 3n38 powder (http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=135761&st=0&p=1539553&hl=svi%20imm&fromsearch=1entry1539553). Someone posted that they were using Autocomp and liked it (see below). I ended up sticking with 3n38 but am interested in how autocomp shoots.

I use 7.5gr Autocomp on a 124 CMJ MG. Works well for me. I tried the 3N38 and did not like it. Could not get it to shoot flat. 3N38 is VERY LOUD in my gun. I had a 3 port comp and 4 holes in the barrel. I changed to a 2 port and 3 holes in the barrel. I got tired of cleaning the scope after 2 stage. The 3 hole barrel is much cleaner on the scope.

My Barrel is a Schuemann Hybrid. My gun seems to shoot very flat based on my limited experience. Here is a pic of the ports and holes:

i-MDhTjbz-M.jpg

if autocomp sucks when you try it, go to 3n38. its spendy but you can get 4lb jugs from powder valley. cheapest around and actually IN STOCK.i have a 3 port hybrid, like yours ( not as many ports though) and 3n38 is awesome.n105 is close but nothing matches 3n38. i run 10 gr. under a MG 124 gr. JHP. you have more holes and ports than my setup, so your results will vary.

tried Autocomp in my full size no ports .38SC. gun is on the light side with a cone comp and cut up lightened slide. felt it was violent in my pistol, so I got rid of my jug and tried 3N38. good powder, pretty soft. 3N38 is supposed to be the shiz with ported/hybrid setups and is what SV recommeneds for their ported guns. Moved on to N105 which has excellent dot tracking, shoots soft but is a little expensive and somewhat dirty.

tried Autocomp in my full size no ports .38SC. gun is on the light side with a cone comp and cut up lightened slide. felt it was violent in my pistol, so I got rid of my jug and tried 3N38. good powder, pretty soft. 3N38 is supposed to be the shiz with ported/hybrid setups and is what SV recommeneds for their ported guns. Moved on to N105 which has excellent dot tracking, shoots soft but is a little expensive and somewhat dirty.

thats been the trend ive seen. ported/ hybrid is good with 3n38 and no holes seem to drive well with N105 ( as far is VV powders go)

I would love to know the science behind which powders work with barrel holes and why.

It's all about burn speed, gas quantity, and working with what is effectively a shorter barrel.

The Hybrid ports begin bleeding off pressure as soon as the bullet passes by the first port, rather than building it until the bullet clears the barrel and enters the compensator. A load that makes Major in a 5.5 inch non-ported barrel probably won't make it out of a barrel with ports starting about 3.5 inches down the barrel.

From what I've seen, Hybri-ports like a faster powder comparatively than a non-ported barrel. The bullet has to accelerate to the desired velocity before it starts passing open ports.

Edited by Braxton1

I would love to know the science behind which powders work with barrel holes and why.

It's all about burn speed, gas quantity, and working with what is effectively a shorter barrel.

The Hybrid ports begin bleeding off pressure as soon as the bullet passes by the first port, rather than building it until the bullet clears the barrel and enters the compensator. A load that makes Major in a 5.5 inch non-ported barrel probably won't make it out of a barrel with ports starting about 3.5 inches down the barrel.

From what I've seen, Hybri-ports like a faster powder comparatively than a non-ported barrel. The bullet has to accelerate to the desired velocity before it starts passing open ports.

Seems like it would have to accelerate above the desired velocity before it hits the gas ports, as it will start to lose umph if you will, once the gas starts to bleed off. or at least that is the way it seems to me. I could be wrong. If this is the case I wonder how much help that they really do for flip if I have to increase power to still make desired PF. In other words -- seems to me that it is going to be a rule of diminishing returns at a certain point.

On a technical note, only tangentially related, the bullet does continue to accelerate after passing the port holes. Bullets accelerate even after leaving the muzzle for a bit before the powder gases all dissipate. The area around the muzzle is a much larger port than most of the hybrids ;) It will however, accelerate less because there will be less gas available.

If you had a desire to test this, you could chrono a hybrid, then saw off the barrel at the first port and compare.

Check out a cool military concept called 'RAVEN' sometime for the curious. They proved you can completely open the rear of the chamber of a 105mm after the projectile is only 1/4 of the way down the bore and it _won't even notice_ because the rarefaction wave caused by opening the rear doesn't reach the back of the bullet before it leaves the barrel.

Alright here it goes. I have been shooting Auto Comp powder in 9mm major out of an open Glock. The powder was working great BUT I was getting tired of the Glock problems I was having running it as an open gun. Broke down and bought a real open SV gun in 38 super comp (wanted it in 9MM Major)couldn't pass up the deal. Any way's I have about 18 pounds of Auto Comp and was wondering if there is any load data some one can give me to start with. Looking to meet major PF. I know there is a lot of load data for other powders, and possibly better powders in peoples opinions but I am buried in this stuff. I know that I can get it rebarreled for 9mm major also but I'm not thinking of doing that right now. Can some one please help a brother out LOL. Thanks all

If your SV has NO barrel ports, the same load will work in a 38S. Your FPS will vary just because of the barrel. You did not state what bullet weight you were using. 38S OAL is going to be about 1.232

If you have barrel holes, then you will need to adjust the load.

Edited by lcs

My son and I have burned 64+ lbs of Autocomp using 125gr Hornady HAPs with great sucess. We have both 3 and 4 hole IMM Open guns. I have also recently re-tested 3N38 loads and really see no difference except to the bottom line. I say, run the Autocomp and practice more with the savings (and yes, I am aware that powder is not the expensive part of reloading).

Lee

My son and I have burned 64+ lbs of Autocomp using 125gr Hornady HAPs with great sucess. We have both 3 and 4 hole IMM Open guns. I have also recently re-tested 3N38 loads and really see no difference except to the bottom line. I say, run the Autocomp and practice more with the savings (and yes, I am aware that powder is not the expensive part of reloading).

Lee

Just as a side bar---I tried autocomp with 124gn in my 3 hole (same as IMM) and saw bad pressure signs on the primers. 3N38 was good even at 10.1. 3N37 is a little softer than 3N38 and requires less powder for the same bullet.

• 2 years later...

Tagging on to an old thread.

Have a ton of autocomp and have 2 guns I'm going to be making loads for.

One has a schuemann 3 hole barrel. The other does not. Both guns 38SC. I see lots of guys favoring 124gr bullet for the 38sc. Should I stick with 124s for the non ported barrel and maybe try 115s for the ported barrel. Won't a 115 inherently have more gas to run the comp and ported barrel than the 124 at the same PF?

I realize that a lot of shooters feel that 3n38 is the best powder for 38SC but I don't have that luxury because it is the unicorn of powders/difficult to find. So having the bullet weight, oal, and the amount of powder being the only variables I can change, I would just like to have some opinions of those who have experimented. Thanks.

Tagging on to an old thread.

Have a ton of autocomp and have 2 guns I'm going to be making loads for.

One has a schuemann 3 hole barrel. The other does not. Both guns 38SC. I see lots of guys favoring 124gr bullet for the 38sc. Should I stick with 124s for the non ported barrel and maybe try 115s for the ported barrel. Won't a 115 inherently have more gas to run the comp and ported barrel than the 124 at the same PF?

I realize that a lot of shooters feel that 3n38 is the best powder for 38SC but I don't have that luxury because it is the unicorn of powders/difficult to find. So having the bullet weight, oal, and the amount of powder being the only variables I can change, I would just like to have some opinions of those who have experimented. Thanks.

Someone in a previous post mentioned that 7.5 gr of Autocomp with a 124 gr projectile was the sweet spot and that has certainly been my experience as well.

I'm using Autocomp in 38sc barrel with 4 popples and a barrel without popples. With a 124gr fmj, I'm using 7.5 gr of powder to make major PF at around 170PF.

In my case, there is a slight reduction in chrono'd velocity in the barrel with the popples but not enough to warrant loading with different powder charges. I can get you average velocity for both barrels if it really matters that much.

• 2 months later...