Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stainless Barrel Break In

Congrats on getting yourself a nice rifle.

Pretty subjective topic as it all depends on the barrel, but here's what I recomend:

1. Clean the barrel well before even firing to remove any stray metal particals that may be in the bore from the mfg.

2. Run a patch down the barrel after every round for the first five shots.

3. Shoot 5, run a patch. Repeat this 5 times.

4. Shoot 10, run a patch. Repeat this 5 times.

Just my recomendation. Easily done in a couple hours, if it needs more than this, it probably wasn't worth a crap in the first place. ;)

Edited by Shooter115

Barrel break ins are a waste of time, effort and money. Just shoot it.

Pat

Instead of subjective topic, I should have said touchy subject. I guess I should have added that I just started shooting 3-gun in the last year and come from a precision shooting/benchrest background. difference may not be much for proper break in, but if it gives me a .05 MOA better grouping in the end over the life of a barrel, I don't mind spending the time or effort. Keep in mind my method is much simpler than a lot of barrel/weapon manufactures recommend.

A decent resource to base your decision on.

Gale McMillan on Barrel Break In

Also a Great Thread on Barrel Break In

I guess I should have been more thorough. My suggested break in process was for a standard production rifle like the OP was asking about. Both the links you posted involve high quality aftermarket barrels, two completly different things. Take the Benchmark barrel picture in your first link, this is what I'm currently running in my 6BR F-Class rifle. They come straight from Barry all hand lapped and smooth as butter. If you were to run a bore scope through a premium aftermarket barrel, such as a Benchmark then a typical production rifle barrel the differences are obvious. For a premium barrel I'll just go with step 1 and 2 of my process and you're GTG. For an off the shelf rifle with a sandpaper like bore......to each their own.

The Stag 3G may not be a hand lapped custom tube but it is far from the factory tubes you reference.

I have seen borescope footage of both types of barrels. The difference is obvious. With a little searching you can find the videos of both types of barrels before and after "break in". There the difference is impossible to discern because the break in changed nothing in either barrel.

But at any rate, factory tube or custom barrel, can you honestly tell me that running copper jacketed bullets and patches will smooth out any roughness in 416 stainless steel. It simply doesn't happen. It is fine to believe it, and at this point the institutionalized need to break in a barrel has become so ingrained that most people refuse to see the objective evidence.

Barrel break in all you want, I see that it brings warm comfort to the soul, but it won't make a bit of performance difference before or after.

• 1 month later...

Pretty subjective topic as it all depends on the barrel, but here's what I recomend:

1. Clean the barrel well before even firing to remove any stray metal particals that may be in the bore from the mfg.

Just my recomendation. Easily done in a couple hours, if it needs more than this, it probably wasn't worth a crap in the first place. ;)

I say do it this way. WHY not? Are you still shooting it? Are you fire forming brass at the same time? Yes. I can see both sides of the coin but why not?

Have a Predator Pursuit that after 300 rounds it is starting to get to where load development can be a bit tricky. They all group well.

I know. Laped from RRA but.... Could "Breaking it In" have possibly helped me get there faster. Sure it could.

Again? Why not?

I broke in 3 Wilson chrome moly barrels at the same time and 3 with no break-in at all. All 6 shoot near identical and in fact one of the "broke in" barrels shoots the worst of them all. I feel that barrel break- in is a myth. Perhaps a benchrest gun could tell a difference.

I say do it this way. WHY not? Are you still shooting it? Are you fire forming brass at the same time? Yes. I can see both sides of the coin but why not?

Have a Predator Pursuit that after 300 rounds it is starting to get to where load development can be a bit tricky. They all group well.

I know. Laped from RRA but.... Could "Breaking it In" have possibly helped me get there faster. Sure it could.

Again? Why not?

Let me offer a counter theory. If you had left it the heck alone, would you have had the barrel settle in that many rounds quicker than it did? Some guns can benefit from lapping the bore, but those are mostly barrels with an unintended problem, or likely to have issues due to odd barrel cuts like lever guns. But lapping involves something way more abrasive than copper going down the barrel.

I know. Lapped from RRA but.... Could "Breaking it In" have possibly helped me get there faster. Sure it could.

Again? Why not?

Let me offer a counter theory. If you had left it the heck alone, would you have had the barrel settle in that many rounds quicker than it did? Some guns can benefit from lapping the bore, but those are mostly barrels with an unintended problem, or likely to have issues due to odd barrel cuts like lever guns. But lapping involves something way more abrasive than copper going down the barrel.

Do not disagree with with the lapping. I think it is a great way to take burs out of the barrel that may have been left in there. If it is not a lapped what do you say? Just asking by the way.

If you leave it alone then then you could be right. I am in no way stating that it has to be done. Just saying that I personally would rather shoot the extra 25-50 shots (depending on who you ask) than not. Just my opinion though.

I do it on my non lapped barrels. Again, just my opinion. I can see how it makes sense to some and how it does not to others.