Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which choke for 20 gauge?

MickB

I'm introducing my 13 year old son to 3 gun and picked up a Remington 11-87 Compact Youth model for him.

So far, I've narrowed and modified a DMW EZ loader to fit, added a Choate +4 tube (total capacity 8+1) and extended charging handle and put on a set of Williams fibre optic slug sights.

The gun comes with a Modified flush mount choke installed. I'm thinking that the Improved cylinder might be a better choice.

Any thoughts on the best choke for 20ga?

Also, what about an extended choke? Go with a Briley X2 or something else?

Mick

TruChokes or Brileys work great. Extended for sure though! :) I built a 20ga for my kid,with Cylinder I had to use #4 or #5 to hit steel at 20yrds lol I'd say Mod would be my smallest and get a Full as well for the longer stages? Everything else sounds great though :)

Light mod or IC is good for an all around choke. The extended ones are nice as they help protect the muzzle when your grounding the shotgun. Other than that personal preference. As with any shotgun, pattern it to make sure POI is where it needs to be. If its shooting a little low, craft stores sell foam sheets by the felt that have peel away backs that stick on the stock to raise the comb. There is going to be more shot in the center of the pattern than on the very edge of it so its good to know where it hits. In the 12 ga, I usually use a Skeet or IC. If I have long shots, I bump up the choke and use a heavier shot but not very common. Did get me a side match win by taking a couple very long shots because I knew where the gun hit and was able to center the pattern and ran a little extra choke and heavier shot to save alot of running.

You will need a modified choke at a minimum. It will be difficult to knock down steel at over 20yds. with anything more open. I would use a Imp Mod or full. Do a little testing, you will need 4s or 6s to be effective. it won't be long before your son will be shooting a 12ga. Have fun.